Golf Golf technique

Remove this Banner Ad

I went to the range last night to try out a few things after tinkering with my driver and 3 wood. I adjusted them to a higher loft and a fade setting. I made a slight change at address... Having the driver head sitting about 5 inches behind the ball instead of right next to the ball. Shaft therefore 90 degrees to target line. Only thing I concentrated on was keeping my head very still and swinging as I normally would.

Have to say I have never hit those clubs so straight in my 40 years of golf. Interesting to see what happens on course (I probably already know what will). Probably hit 40 balls with them, and most in play or very close to it. Nothing was wild.

Last edited:
I've been watching Masters Live On The Range the last few nights and it's absolutely fantastic to get an insight into how these guys prepare. And also glimpses of what they are working on with their coaches.

What has been really enlightening has been watching Scottie Scheffler.

First day I saw he's practicing with a basic grip trainer - the type you use when starting out in the game. Then he had alignment rods out to make sure he's square.

Then last night he's working on his mid length putting using a standard putting mirror.

This is the undisputed #1 player in the game we're talking about.

To me it underlines how much these top players emphasise making sure their fundamentals stay absolutely sound and calibrated. The weekend player on the other hand obsesses about swing paths, bingeing on YouTube tips, expensive club fits etc etc.

I was down at Albert Park this morning and practically no one had even a club out on the ground to check their alignment. A lot to be said for keeping the game as simple as possible in my opinion.

Been injured
I've been watching Masters Live On The Range the last few nights and it's absolutely fantastic to get an insight into how these guys prepare. And also glimpses of what they are working on with their coaches.

What has been really enlightening has been watching Scottie Scheffler.

First day I saw he's practicing with a basic grip trainer - the type you use when starting out in the game. Then he had alignment rods out to make sure he's square.

Then last night he's working on his mid length putting using a standard putting mirror.

This is the undisputed #1 player in the game we're talking about.

To me it underlines how much these top players emphasise making sure their fundamentals stay absolutely sound and calibrated. The weekend player on the other hand obsesses about swing paths, bingeing on YouTube tips, expensive club fits etc etc.

I was down at Albert Park this morning and practically no one had even a club out on the ground to check their alignment. A lot to be said for keeping the game as simple as possible in my opinion.
Funny huh, that's literally just basic setup stuff but probably so important to get right.

Is this on Foxtel you're watching? I haven't watched much but didn't know it was on, was just waiting for the actual tournament to start tomorrow.

Been injured

Funny huh, that's literally just basic setup stuff but probably so important to get right.

Is this on Foxtel you're watching? I haven't watched much but didn't know it was on, was just waiting for the actual tournament to start tomorrow.

Range sessions have been on all week as well as Par 3 comp on Kayo

Went to the range today with the intention of trying different grips.
As a cricketer my golf grip is normally weak, as this is a common batting grip.

So no wonder I have a wild slice. Tried a strong grip and while there was the odd pull hook I did find that the slice was replaced with much straighter driver and wood trajectories. Felt as though less adjustment was needed for irons and wedges and that playing 50%-70% wedge shots were much straighter while taking out the chunks.

Might play a round soon and see if the grip change can lower scores or atleast make misses less severe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back