Golf Golf technique

Remove this Banner Ad

I am absolutely mind blown. Using that planemate I have been going on about, I am over half way through the wedge learning protocols.

It is the strangest sensation, very hard to explain. Practising and repeating positions (the course is online) with a resist band attached to a special belt on your waist, to your club. Slowly building up from a very simple move to a full swing. When you take it off OMG the club feels like a match stick in your hand. Now, I have elbow issues on both sides and sometimes hovering the club off the ground behind the ball is unpleasant. Now....after working muscles for a few days, no pain and I feel so strong in the golf swing moves. The club automatically goes to good positions. The muscle memory takes over.

I routinely video my swing to see if I am off plane...especially the first little bit in the take away and crossing over at the top have been a problem forever. I did my stage 5 protocol (nearly finished the first series)...band on with a wedge. I just took it off and took video of a 7 iron shot and I have never seen a better looking swing for me...ever. Right on plane initially....then a steep bit, they explain it like holding an Umbrella (the shaft being like rod of the umbrella). And then a "shallowing" of the club (which looked awesome in my video)..then impact through to a decent finish.

Nearly brought a tear to my eye thinking of all the effort, lessons, practice etc. and never been able to do it really really well! Stoked.

Heres a review

Keen to hear how this goes on the course after enough practice with it, hope it kicks ass :thumbsu:

I am absolutely mind blown. Using that planemate I have been going on about, I am over half way through the wedge learning protocols.

It is the strangest sensation, very hard to explain. Practising and repeating positions (the course is online) with a resist band attached to a special belt on your waist, to your club. Slowly building up from a very simple move to a full swing. When you take it off OMG the club feels like a match stick in your hand. Now, I have elbow issues on both sides and sometimes hovering the club off the ground behind the ball is unpleasant. Now....after working muscles for a few days, no pain and I feel so strong in the golf swing moves. The club automatically goes to good positions. The muscle memory takes over.

I routinely video my swing to see if I am off plane...especially the first little bit in the take away and crossing over at the top have been a problem forever. I did my stage 5 protocol (nearly finished the first series)...band on with a wedge. I just took it off and took video of a 7 iron shot and I have never seen a better looking swing for me...ever. Right on plane initially....then a steep bit, they explain it like holding an Umbrella (the shaft being like rod of the umbrella). And then a "shallowing" of the club (which looked awesome in my video)..then impact through to a decent finish.

Nearly brought a tear to my eye thinking of all the effort, lessons, practice etc. and never been able to do it really really well! Stoked.

Heres a review

Out of curiosity
How much $$$
Where did you order from?
How often have you trained with them?
Has it helped your short game?

Out of curiosity
How much $$$
Where did you order from?
How often have you trained with them?
Has it helped your short game?
It's expensive for what you get...$300, but well made. I got mine for $280...paid cash and had it delivered to my home through house of golf Mentone (they do not stock them although deal with tour striker or GPS). I think Golf Performance Store (online) bring them in to Aus and you can get them there..Clint Rice, the pro at GPS, was very helpful...same with my launch monitor.

To me its 3 private lessons cost wise and I think it is going to be well worth it. It gives great feedback if you stuff up.

I have trained a lot. A bit before work...and at least twice after for 15/20 minutes or more. Lots this weekend. Helps having a net (which I have) or somewhere where you can practice and hit a lot of balls. I think you could do it at home on a mat just making swings...or wiffle balls into a curtain or something maybe. Its great doing it at home as you can check things easy on the internet and take all the info in.

30 to 60m out is a bit of a strength for me and I suspect I was doing a few things correct anyway as I have no trouble hitting some of the easier/smaller positions and some were familiar anyway. For higher handicappers that flip their wrists at the ball it will be tricky for a while I suspect...It is really going to make a difference on full swings I hope (100m and further). I am definitely getting much better width in my swing and get into a position that it easy to feel and shallow the club in transition. It will be a while before I see how it stands up out on the course with these restrictions as I am a bit unorganised to book ahead. I was also a bit worried that the resistance might have made my elbows worse and then the purchase was a waste of coin but I think its making everything stronger and less impact through them.

Last edited:
So my worst golf is getting better, a good sign. But at the moment with not many practice options, my best scores aren't improving, I can't break that sub 50 for 9 holes which to me represents shooting under 100. I'm trying to practice things while on course which is really difficult and dangerous for scores, but theres no real other options right now so its hard to improve at the moment.

So my worst golf is getting better, a good sign. But at the moment with not many practice options, my best scores aren't improving, I can't break that sub 50 for 9 holes which to me represents shooting under 100. I'm trying to practice things while on course which is really difficult and dangerous for scores, but theres no real other options right now so its hard to improve at the moment.
Jump in the back yard mate and make swings without hitting a ball. You'll improve in no time. The Hank Haney 100 swings a day principle.

Well something is working. I have an area in my backyard set up for the kids to play basketball. Very short artificial grass on a hard clay base....think a very tight lie. After a chipping lesson with Rohan Dummett and some work with my my plane mate...I am more on plane and chipping, with more width and confidence.

Off that tight lie I can easily open the face a bit, with my 60 degree wedge, and back swing to about horizontal to the ground, and with controlled pace swing through to just short of horizontal. Result...the ball popping up nice and soft. Very happy.

Well something is working. I have an area in my backyard set up for the kids to play basketball. Very short artificial grass on a hard clay base....think a very tight lie. After a chipping lesson with Rohan Dummett and some work with my my plane mate...I am more on plane and chipping, with more width and confidence.

Off that tight lie I can easily open the face a bit, with my 60 degree wedge, and back swing to about horizontal to the ground, and with controlled pace swing through to just short of horizontal. Result...the ball popping up nice and soft. Very happy.
Knew you'd get there Scrappy!

You'll be at this level in no time (check out videos 5 and 6 in the sequence):

So jealous

i like putting more from fringes or chipping regions. hazard pending of course. or rip out the hybrid.

might do 9 holes later today
Yeah I do to...the pro was really encouraging me to do chip and run whenever possible with an 8 or 7 using a putting action....I can do it well but honestly I am struggling with the feel for it. The new clubs ping off the face and further to the discussion in the equipment thread I think I am going to make an adjustment. My pitching wedge has 43 degree loft....others were 46/47. Therefore my 8 is like a 7 or 6 from years gone by. Think I am going to experiment same technique but in 9 or PW and see if I can dial the distance in a bit better. My misses are long and I feel like I am fighting to do it softer each shot..

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok I would love some advice from the best golfers on this forum.

Been trying to rebuild my swing during lockdown. Worked with my training aid heaps. Seem to be able to do it reasonably well at home....but....

What do you do when you hit the course? Do you think about it and commit to the new swing? Or is thinking too much when you are playing a killer (I suspect this will be what happens to me). Do you just keep working on it at home or range...and it naturally takes over and becomes your swing on course without you realising it?

When I have been using Driver at home I have found that shallowing the club out, then rotating my body to hit the ball feels amazing. I have never really known what it feels like to hit a ball on this path but boy is it good. The ball is striking the middle of the club in a far tighter pattern and it feels as though you have so much time. It is so easy. I have lost a bit of distance for sure but happy if I have more control, which it certainly feels like that is the case.

I ask this because I just played 9 and was all at sea. Tried using the Driver...nearly missed my first one (toe) then topped my next 2. Played on a course that was busy with limited chance to use it so I could not keep trying. Now I could go out right now to the net....and I have hit 100s and not done that and probably not miss like that. Thoughts?

I think if you can hit a bucket before you play you'll naturally hone in on a thought or feel that works for that day.

I would not stress about controlling the process of what to think or not think about on course. 99.99% of golfers are thinking about their swing technique when they play. It's unavoidable. We humans are thinkers. And we want to control things.

My only thought when I swing is

Finish your swing.

Have been known to openly say it out loud to remind myself
I overswing when I am standing on a tee (not the case when I practice)...On the 9th hole when I was playing poor the other day, I said "stop" quite loudly, not much after my takeaway and it seemed to work. That was the first time I have done that but it won't be the last.

View attachment 922880
ScrappyCoCo here are some tips for you mate
Sums up my struggles in recent month, this has literally killed my swing.
Something might have clicked when mucking around in front of a mirror today, I realise I dump my speed swinging too hard from the top, and so the fastest part of my backswing is probably top to parallel and then decelerating through ball. Playing in the mirror, I slowed the start of my downswing and then tried to whip the club through so the ”whoosh” would occur after the ball, with a fairly slow movement to start the downswing.

thoughts? Keen to give this a go on course. Unfortunately obviously can’t practice it on a range which would be ideal.

Sums up my struggles in recent month, this has literally killed my swing.
Something might have clicked when mucking around in front of a mirror today, I realise I dump my speed swinging too hard from the top, and so the fastest part of my backswing is probably top to parallel and then decelerating through ball. Playing in the mirror, I slowed the start of my downswing and then tried to whip the club through so the ”whoosh” would occur after the ball, with a fairly slow movement to start the downswing.

thoughts? Keen to give this a go on course. Unfortunately obviously can’t practice it on a range which would be ideal.
Most higher handicappers are guilty of this Jus...decelerating at impact...flipping their hands early and losing any stored up energy they might have created if the have a decent backswing and pivot. Using hands and arms trying to create speed. If you hit the ball fairly high...and not too far...that flight is telling you pretty much that. If you hit the ball lower with decent penetrating distance you are more likely keeping lag...reducing your loft. I find it tricky to work on that stuff honestly (impact)...everything is happening so fast at that point. You think you are doing something but may not.

I see in your other post you are struggling a bit not being able to practice atm. Back in my day (LOL) there were no driving ranges for blokes like you and me (different at the private clubs).....getting a golf lesson was not a thing...there was no internet. All this stuff helps but confuses us a lot. We just went out and played for fun. We managed to get to a decent level (I got down to 10 without any instruction and no idea)...albeit with flaws, which I still struggle with a bit nowadays.

Ok I would love some advice from the best golfers on this forum.

OK, im out!

Been trying to rebuild my swing during lockdown. Worked with my training aid heaps. Seem to be able to do it reasonably well at home....but....

What do you do when you hit the course? Do you think about it and commit to the new swing? Or is thinking too much when you are playing a killer (I suspect this will be what happens to me). Do you just keep working on it at home or range...and it naturally takes over and becomes your swing on course without you realising it?

When I have been using Driver at home I have found that shallowing the club out, then rotating my body to hit the ball feels amazing. I have never really known what it feels like to hit a ball on this path but boy is it good. The ball is striking the middle of the club in a far tighter pattern and it feels as though you have so much time. It is so easy. I have lost a bit of distance for sure but happy if I have more control, which it certainly feels like that is the case.

I ask this because I just played 9 and was all at sea. Tried using the Driver...nearly missed my first one (toe) then topped my next 2. Played on a course that was busy with limited chance to use it so I could not keep trying. Now I could go out right now to the net....and I have hit 100s and not done that and probably not miss like that. Thoughts?

Routine. Pre covid (going to the national)

1. Wake up 3 hours before tee time
2. Shower, check bigfooty
3. 2 hours before tee time leave
4. arrive 1 hour before tee time. Hang a s**t. Say hi to the pro staff boys, get a buggy, go to range, hit as many balls as i want or feel (it varies)
5. tee time. go play and have fun.

Mate on the Old course I topped my drive, then skinnied my next shot into the small lake in front. 2 shots on a par 5. Walked the rest of the hole. So it happens.

Every day is different mate. Some days you feel good without practice, some not.

Find your own routine. You will be fine

Remove this Banner Ad

Back