Golf Golf technique

Remove this Banner Ad

I've read a few mental game golf books through lockdown, almost everything you read will tell you not to fix your swing on the course. A recipe for a poor score.

Think of the target as you swing, Im about to play my second round back tomorrow, I'll tell you if it works ;)
Thing is Juss...if I do not think about it my default swing is the the old one. The new one is better. I need to concentrate and love what I see when I execute. Enjoy your Sunday, should be a good day...good luck mate.

An hour booked with coach Rohan tomorrow. Just a check up like going to the doctors. Might get him to look at all parts of my game and if anything really problematic work on that. Driving still my biggest area of frustration.
Maybe meet him at the putting green and start there?

Often I find you never make it to the green in these types of well intentioned "all-encompassing" lessons.

Let me know how busy MGA is. People still in the waiting room for half hour for a booth?
I have driven past a few times...it looked busy (amount of cars) but not super busy...I am there at 9 so I guess it won't be too bad, but will be by the time I leave. I will let you know.

Great lesson with Rohan yesterday. Main thing to fix was posture (not setting up behind the ball enough), posture was far better looking at my swing 6 months ago.. I suspect hitting endless balls under no one's eyes had led to some faults creeping in. Main points at set up from side on for me....With driver, ball perfectly in line with left tip of shoulder. With irons ball in line with left ear. Keep head in these positions during swing.

Great positive affirmation on my swing changes. Loved how on plane I was at all points. Massive difference in comparison to my old swing when he analysed them both side to side. He was very impressed with what I have achieved using planemate over lockdown. So much so he looked it up mid lesson and said he was buying one tonight.

Was saying that there are 2 things that determine where and how the ball goes. Swing paths and plane.....and face alignment at impact. I have managed to get the first part very under control....face alignment is harder as it happening at high speed.

Pres the greens had been sprayed and were closed. We moved onto them half way into lesson to have a mental break. Made a couple of 12 footers straight away and he said....lets go back and work that Driver lol.

Great lesson with Rohan yesterday. Main thing to fix was posture (not setting up behind the ball enough), posture was far better looking at my swing 6 months ago.. I suspect hitting endless balls under no one's eyes had led to some faults creeping in. Main points at set up from side on for me....With driver, ball perfectly in line with left tip of shoulder. With irons ball in line with left ear. Keep head in these positions during swing.

Great positive affirmation on my swing changes. Loved how on plane I was at all points. Massive difference in comparison to my old swing when he analysed them both side to side. He was very impressed with what I have achieved using planemate over lockdown. So much so he looked it up mid lesson and said he was buying one tonight.

Was saying that there are 2 things that determine where and how the ball goes. Swing paths and plane.....and face alignment at impact. I have managed to get the first part very under control....face alignment is harder as it happening at high speed.

Pres the greens had been sprayed and were closed. We moved onto them half way into lesson to have a mental break. Made a couple of 12 footers straight away and he said....lets go back and work that Driver lol.
How much are the lessons if you don't mind me asking? Putting some serious thought into getting a lesson/s as my golf is absolutely putrid since returning. Honestly feels like I'm starting from scratch.

[/QUOTE]
How much are the lessons if you don't mind me asking? Putting some serious thought into getting a lesson/s as my golf is absolutely putrid since returning. Honestly feels like I'm starting from scratch.
From $50 per half hour up depending on which pro. Half an hr normally enough as you only want to fix one thing at a time and go and work on it till it becomes natural.... Then next fault! I also write done a couple of dot points from lesson and date it and put it away for future reference. Go for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Golf would be so much more enjoyable for everyone if you were able to access decent instruction at a reasonable price.

$120/hr is probably more than I'd pay my doctor...

Golf would be so much more enjoyable for everyone if you were able to access decent instruction at a reasonable price.

I feel $50 for a half hour once every couple of months isn't too bad (I pay $40 each week for Friday night fish and chips for the fam, money doesn't go very far)....but doubling it starts to be expensive. I paid more for my last one (first hour one I have ever done) but would not do it often. $80 per hour for the less experienced pros would encourage more to go the longer option and have their books more full. Nearly fell over at the supermarket when a bloke paid $50 for a pack of cigarettes the other day.

That is a problem, when I was first looking for lessons and googling, market rate was up to $160/hour for some pros.
Quickly adds up....

I feel $50 for a half hour once every couple of months isn't too bad (I pay $40 each week for Friday night fish and chips for the fam, money doesn't go very far)....but doubling it starts to be expensive. I paid more for my last one (first hour one I have ever done) but would not do it often. $80 per hour for the less experienced pros would encourage more to go the longer option and have their books more full. Nearly fell over at the supermarket when a bloke paid $50 for a pack of cigarettes the other day.
This is the problem mate! Money doesn't go far. Green Fees these days can be pretty expensive at some courses for average joe. Not uncommon to be charged $50-$100 at some of the nicer places if you want something special. Even the most basic of courses will set you back $15-$30 a round.

Memberships make it cheaper, but they aren't for everyone and aren't for those who want to play different courses each week.

Biggest change I'm working on is getting rid of a cupped wrist on the backswing. Harder than you think to change, but my Pro thought it was the biggest cause of my push/slice as it left my club face too open at impact because I couldn't close it in time.

Working on a flat wrist but trying to overexaggerate a little with a bowed wrist to get the feeling. I find backswinging with a bowed wrist incredible difficult but every now and then when I would get it right they were going pretty far down the middle.

That is a problem, when I was first looking for lessons and googling, market rate was up to $160/hour for some pros.
Quickly adds up....

This is the problem mate! Money doesn't go far. Green Fees these days can be pretty expensive at some courses for average joe. Not uncommon to be charged $50-$100 at some of the nicer places if you want something special. Even the most basic of courses will set you back $15-$30 a round.

Memberships make it cheaper, but they aren't for everyone and aren't for those who want to play different courses each week.
Yeah, enjoy things while you can because if you have kids, they cost a fortune. Mine are young adults now and for the first time forever our bank accounts are healthy. Don't miss paying cricket subs, cricket lessons, equipment, uniforms, footy, basketball and taekwondo every term....on top of everything else. Now I can waste it on launch monitors, range finders, training aids, golf lessons and probably still be never a really good golfer. :cool:

Last edited:
After being super confident where everything is heading, last evening having a hit in the net all of a sudden the shanks came. 1 after another. I get a tad lazy with the pivot so thought it would be that but no. Went inside pretty pissed off and late at night it came to me. 1 piece takeaway. Went out in the dark. Flush Flush Flush. Getting to the point where I know my swing pretty well and can self diagnose well. Mental note to self. Shanks equals check takeaway. (towel pinned under armpit drill)

Last edited:
After being super confident where everything is heading, last evening having a hit in the net all of a sudden the shanks came. 1 after another. I get a tad lazy with the pivot so thought it would be that but no. Went inside pretty pissed off and late at night it came to me. 1 piece takeaway. Went out in the dark. Flush Flush Flush. Getting to the point where I know my swing pretty well and can self diagnose well. Mental note to self. Shanks equals check takeaway. (towel pinned under armpit drill)
Opposite of me mate! Every time I try and self diagnose and manipulate my swing it falls apart, I hit my best irons when I stop thinking and just set up and swing. Its really hard for me because I am quite neurotic and an overanalyser

Opposite of me mate! Every time I try and self diagnose and manipulate my swing it falls apart, I hit my best irons when I stop thinking and just set up and swing. Its really hard for me because I am quite neurotic and an overanalyser
Yes...I'm clearly obsessed too. After a ten year lay off...heading towards my mid 50s it is now or never for me to be the best I can be.

Just keep enjoying the game as your knowledge increases with time, and you will get better and better with more experience and golf behind you. Eventually you will hit a point where your swing will stop you from getting better scores though and technique improvements are then important if you want to improve. I honestly believe you can get close to a single figure handicap without ever getting a lesson if you play enough over a long time and with a little bit of fundamental knowhow. Getting past that is a different story though.

Went and hit some balls at ranfurlie range tonight. Feel a lot better than I did after my last range session. Gone right back to basics spending most of the time working on my grip and alignment. Still blocking balls to the right so a bit of work to do there but just felt a lot better with my action after making some grip adjustments.

Had my first lesson in my adult life last week, made some fairly significant changes to my grip and swing and I'm going to be a fair bit worse for a little while but I think it will be worth it to undo some bad habits. Trying to go and practice at least a few times a week, even if just for 30 mins (got a spot I can go for free and swing a wedge to get used to it as I can't afford to hit the range that often). Will probably get another lesson in a few weeks.

How long did it take you to get comfortable with a different grip, setup and swing?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

How long did it take you to get comfortable with a different grip, setup and swing?
It will take less time than you think. Bob Rotella used to say you need 10hr practice between lessons.

If you can try to have a club near your front door or study and try to at least pick it up and trial your new grip everyday. Remember you don't always need to hit balls either when you are grooving a new swing move.

In fact when you are trying to make changes you're probably better off keeping a ball out of it in the short term.

dont disagree

Biggest change I'm working on is getting rid of a cupped wrist on the backswing. Harder than you think to change, but my Pro thought it was the biggest cause of my push/slice as it left my club face too open at impact because I couldn't close it in time.

Working on a flat wrist but trying to overexaggerate a little with a bowed wrist to get the feeling. I find backswinging with a bowed wrist incredible difficult but every now and then when I would get it right they were going pretty far down the middle.

amen!!!! cupping is bad. ive been doing it and just been diagnosed with it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back