Golf Golf technique

Remove this Banner Ad

Most higher handicappers are guilty of this Jus...decelerating at impact...flipping their hands early and losing any stored up energy they might have created if the have a decent backswing and pivot. Using hands and arms trying to create speed. If you hit the ball fairly high...and not too far...that flight is telling you pretty much that. If you hit the ball lower with decent penetrating distance you are more likely keeping lag...reducing your loft. I find it tricky to work on that stuff honestly (impact)...everything is happening so fast at that point. You think you are doing something but may not.

I see in your other post you are struggling a bit not being able to practice atm. Back in my day (LOL) there were no driving ranges for blokes like you and me (different at the private clubs).....getting a golf lesson was not a thing...there was no internet. All this stuff helps but confuses us a lot. We just went out and played for fun. We managed to get to a decent level (I got down to 10 without any instruction and no idea)...albeit with flaws, which I still struggle with a bit nowadays.
It feels like a paradox, because it feels like I can make a club swing faster with my arms than with my body, but it doesn't translate. Obviously involves both to a degree but I cant seem to find the sequence yet. Sucks about lockdown, will focus on my fitness and flexibility for a while, as wont be able to see ball flight.

OK, im out!

Routine. Pre covid (going to the national)

1. Wake up 3 hours before tee time
2. Shower, check bigfooty
3. 2 hours before tee time leave
4. arrive 1 hour before tee time. Hang a sh*t. Say hi to the pro staff boys, get a buggy, go to range, hit as many balls as i want or feel (it varies)
5. tee time. go play and have fun.

Mate on the Old course I topped my drive, then skinnied my next shot into the small lake in front. 2 shots on a par 5. Walked the rest of the hole. So it happens.

Every day is different mate. Some days you feel good without practice, some not.

Find your own routine. You will be fine
Routine is extremely important....even more on the shot.

1. I take my grip standing behind the ball looking at my target line...pick a spot a couple of feet in front of the ball to set my line on.
2. place the club so that if i hit straight ball will fly over that spot
3. place feet together so ball is in the middle
4. adjust feet so ball position is where I want it...on right heel for driver left of centre for most other shots. Forward more for slice...back more for draw.
5. Waggle with a quick check if on plane.
6. left foot, right foot, left foot, right foot,.....up and down to feel planet earth and last one is trigger to go!

It feels like a paradox, because it feels like I can make a club swing faster with my arms than with my body, but it doesn't translate. Obviously involves both to a degree but I cant seem to find the sequence yet. Sucks about lockdown, will focus on my fitness and flexibility for a while, as wont be able to see ball flight.
If you try and throw a ball just arms it wont go far....but then use your body and let it rip. Same thing....both are important for sure, but the big muscles in the bodies are the key to power. Just was having a hit...not feeling it. Slowed my tempo down a bit (keeping arms quieter) and bingo they started pinging off club face.

If you try and throw a ball just arms it wont go far....but then use your body and let it rip. Same thing....both are important for sure, but the big muscles in the bodies are the key to power. Just was having a hit...not feeling it. Slowed my tempo down a bit (keeping arms quieter) and bingo they started pinging off club face.
Does anyone else go on YouTube and that add distance after 40 golf balls on the range videos come up? Well, I’ve decided to purchase it. I will keep you informed.

Does anyone else go on YouTube and that add distance after 40 golf balls on the range videos come up? Well, I’ve decided to purchase it. I will keep you informed.
Seen my last post. Think I need more distance? lol. That would put me 3 fairways across to the left instead of two. LMAO.

After lots of practice and thought I have worked out the single most important factor holding me back...and therefore my one and only swingthought.

I pivot quite well and on plane (and this has improved out of sight using planemate)....but when I reach that last little part of backswing just before transition, there is a little breakdown where my hips want to bump away or sway away from the target a little bit. Let me tell you it is a distance killer and a major roadblock if you want consistent ball striking.

If I really concentrate on avoiding it and staying where my pivot has taken me without breaking down I am getting at least 15m with my 7 iron and a lot less mistakes.

Anyone know any exercises to strengthen core/glutes or muscles that might help to maintain my position so it becomes natural?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After lots of practice and thought I have worked out the single most important factor holding me back...and therefore my one and only swingthought.

I pivot quite well and on plane (and this has improved out of sight using planemate)....but when I reach that last little part of backswing just before transition, there is a little breakdown where my hips want to bump away or sway away from the target a little bit. Let me tell you it is a distance killer and a major roadblock if you want consistent ball striking.

If I really concentrate on avoiding it and staying where my pivot has taken me without breaking down I am getting at least 15m with my 7 iron and a lot less mistakes.

Anyone no any exercises to strengthen core/glutes or muscles that might help to maintain my position so it becomes natural?
Mate that's what I'm spending lockdown on, strength and flexibility.
Give a mix of these exercises a go

It doesn't matter which ones too much, there's a heap of these pages available. My flexibility has improved heaps in the last month, unsure on glute/core strength as thats harder to tell at home.

Mate that's what I'm spending lockdown on, strength and flexibility.
Give a mix of these exercises a go

It doesn't matter which ones too much, there's a heap of these pages available. My flexibility has improved heaps in the last month, unsure on glute/core strength as thats harder to tell at home.
Thank you so much...exactly what I was looking for. Done...probably won't move tomorrow (threw in 50 sit ups and 20 pushups for good measure).

Last edited:
I’m still at the swing too hard stage. I go through my routine, warm up swings then even thing to myself as I’m lining up: head down let club do the work.

then most of the time I swing the club like I’m trying to clear the length of the course in one shot and my head is everywhere trying to find the ball in flight. Handy enough because I’ve usually sprayed it and a good chance to have lost it anyway.

bloke I played with said I’m probably just a bit too nervous and need to dial back the intensity in terms of what I’m worrying about pre-stroke.

I’m still at the swing too hard stage. I go through my routine, warm up swings then even thing to myself as I’m lining up: head down let club do the work.

then most of the time I swing the club like I’m trying to clear the length of the course in one shot and my head is everywhere trying to find the ball in flight. Handy enough because I’ve usually sprayed it and a good chance to have lost it anyway.

bloke I played with said I’m probably just a bit too nervous and need to dial back the intensity in terms of what I’m worrying about pre-stroke.

sounds like a lot of things happening and going on in your mind. You're eager and may I just say its a breath of fresh air during COVID days. Your enthusiasm is great! May it long continue.

Swing with ease. Half swings even (i do this)

One of the smarter things I did early on was spend 9 holes hitting 3/4 punch shots. Did 9 swinging like a dunny door in a gale then 9 hitting punchers
Did it for 5 or 6 rounds in a row

Actually made me understand swing control and how the club works

One of the smarter things I did early on was spend 9 holes hitting 3/4 punch shots. Did 9 swinging like a dunny door in a gale then 9 hitting punchers
Did it for 5 or 6 rounds in a row

Actually made me understand swing control and how the club works
I’ll give that a crack.

sounds like a lot of things happening and going on in your mind. You're eager and may I just say its a breath of fresh air during COVID days. Your enthusiasm is great! May it long continue.

Swing with ease. Half swings even (i do this)

Thanks mate. It’s funny. Even this year I was mocking golf but then I actually gave it a go, and saw improvement in just the six weeks I was doing those clinics. That got me hooked. I’ve played cricket and footy for years and worked harder than most without that tangible improvement.

I’m highly competitive and years of being short and too slow for any good level of football in particular now I’ve found a sport where my physical deficiencies aren’t a factor. I can put in the work and become good. And hopefully be competitive at local level. But just playing well would probably be enough.

I’ll give that a crack.

Thanks mate. It’s funny. Even this year I was mocking golf but then I actually gave it a go, and saw improvement in just the six weeks I was doing those clinics. That got me hooked. I’ve played cricket and footy for years and worked harder than most without that tangible improvement.

I’m highly competitive and years of being short and too slow for any good level of football in particular now I’ve found a sport where my physical deficiencies aren’t a factor. I can put in the work and become good. And hopefully be competitive at local level. But just playing well would probably be enough.
Golf is between you and the game/course.

Golf is between you and the game/course.

And I’ve got years ahead of me to develop that game.

I do want to play pennant sometime though, even just a lower div. I’ve watched match play highlights of the pros and I think that’s pretty cool.

Had probably my worst ball striking session in my net yesterday for ages. I was really starting to question everything.

Finished with a few good ones though and was concentrating on a couple of things....higher hands at top of backswing then really hit down onto the ball (compress it). Maybe the club head was coming in too shallow at impact. Will work on it next time...maybe not today as it is almost snowing out.

Playing around with my drive a bit trying to get it right.

At the driving range I’ve found I have a heavy slice. Was standing fairly well back and perhaps was reaching a bit and coming back into the ball. Getting good distance though.

But this weekend in particular through the 18 I played yesterday and the six today before we called it I was hooking terribly standing a bit closer to the ball and getting my swing plane a bit more vertical. Think I’m hitting down a bit much and therefore dragging it across my body. And distance suffered a lot too.

then I get home and watch this

ubuntu I also watch Martin Chuck....mainly as I purchased his Tour striker plane mate...to rebuild my 40 year old flawed swing during lockdown.

To answer your question about the one thing that has helped your golf the most. For me it was a putting lesson...and one thing that I do and concentrate a bit on....and it doesn't matter the length of the putt (and probably most important on shorter ones), is I make sure the putter head continues on, in a controlled way, towards the hole after I strike the ball whilst keeping my head down for a second looking at the spot where the ball was (almost an exaggerated follow through but slowly). With a couple of little other changes to posture and making sure the putter sits just above the ground correctly..then use a pendulum type action.....this lesson was the biggest and best help to my game.

Just a bit of a review on how I am going with the swing changes with the planemate. I am definitely hitting the ball straighter. I can tell the area that is hitting the practice net is very tight compared to my old swing (which I do sometimes still do). I have lost distance though. About 10 m for a 7 iron (I am using a small launch monitor). The club is a lot squarer at impact and more often. The first part of the program teaches you short shots...from horizontal in the BSwing...impact...through to horizontal after impact. This then gets incorporated into full swings...the same thing is happening at impact for all shots. Really important as peternorth was saying in other thread. You even do it in chipping and pitching and makes the world of difference.

Down side atm is the consistency on full swings is not there atm. I will hit 20 good ones but then lose it and there will be 5 mishits...a skinny/a fat or a shank. I suspect that I get the moves a bit of sequence at times and that causes it. I cannot wait to get to see my pro after lockdown...to get his thoughts on if I am going down the right track or have wasted my time.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back