Boxing Golovkin vs Canelo Alvarez II - September 16 T-Mobile Arena Vegas

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
September 15 for Americans.

Anyway after all that controversy with Canelo testing positive for banned substances and the rematch originally being halted we're all set to get it on. I think Golovkin will win, at least I hope he does.

Thoughts, Predictions?

September 15 for Americans.

Anyway after all that controversy with Canelo testing positive for banned substances and the rematch originally being halted we're all set to get it on. I think Golovkin will win, at least I hope he does.

Thoughts, Predictions?
Alvarez should be banned for life.

C47263AA-BC07-44C3-8917-73E17322B9AF.jpeg

Anyway if he does win (and I think he will) it will be such a hollow victory because he’ll always have that cloud hanging over him and the same questions will always be asked.

Chubberson

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 12, 2011
radelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I hope GGG wins too. Will be interesting to see what Canelo looks like in this fight. Might come down to how much pop Canelo has left in his punches after the testing. If he can't get G's respect early I reckon GGG will walk through hell to get the KO. Hope he goes to the body a bit more. My tip, GGG 10th round knockout.

Chubberson

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 12, 2011
radelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I wouldn't wanna step in a ring with Canelo, not sure about him being a bitch. There were moments in the first fight where GGG nearly had him later on. Canelo was wobbled a couple of times and hid it really well, but if you watch it closely, you can see it. I'm wondering how Canelo will take G's power after all the meat stuff, I really think GGG has his measure and he won't be as tight early on with nerves. One thing is for sure, GGG won't be getting stopped that was a massive overhand right he ate up in the first fight round 6 iirc and he just walked straight through it.

gavaniacono

Cancelled
Oct 7, 2014
Hanoi
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Wolverhampton Wanderers
Post weigh in, my juices flowing, though safely from outside the ring looking in. A couple of subjective obsevations:
- canelo and coaches are worked up, upset, emotional. Triple G camp evidently less so.
- watching post weigh in before face off, Canelo took a nutrient gell (?) and immediately fell down. Looked like he fainted, and was straight away helped up.
- much talk of Canelo being much leaner this time round, I dont think so. Both look in great shape. My 12 year son did comment though " ggg looks older". My snarly reply, arent we all.
- thought ggg looked less weight drained than first fight.
- i see canelo winning a wide decision due to the soft judging he has often benefited from all his career, and also due to his likely better game plan where he sticks combinations and moves and doesnt get stuck on ropes.
- ggg will be well served by taking more risks and risking more body shots. I want him to light up canelo more and he will have to eat shots to do so. His chin looks to me to be unbreakable so worth the risk.

Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Post weigh in, my juices flowing, though safely from outside the ring looking in. A couple of subjective obsevations:
- canelo and coaches are worked up, upset, emotional. Triple G camp evidently less so.
- watching post weigh in before face off, Canelo took a nutrient gell (?) and immediately fell down. Looked like he fainted, and was straight away helped up.
- much talk of Canelo being much leaner this time round, I dont think so. Both look in great shape. My 12 year son did comment though " ggg looks older". My snarly reply, arent we all.
- thought ggg looked less weight drained than first fight.
- i see canelo winning a wide decision due to the soft judging he has often benefited from all his career, and also due to his likely better game plan where he sticks combinations and moves and doesnt get stuck on ropes.
- ggg will be well served by taking more risks and risking more body shots. I want him to light up canelo more and he will have to eat shots to do so. His chin looks to me to be unbreakable so worth the risk.
Fwiw I'm certain that Canelo just misplaced his butt when he went to sit. There was no fainting, etc.

Jul 28, 2012
Melbourne, the lost City.
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR, Buffalo Bills
Canelo has a good chin, he can take a hit, but inactivity is not a good thing coming up against a guy like GGG, you don't want a slow start against this guy. IMO GGG will pound Canelo into submission by round 6 or 7. Although GGG is getting older, he will just put too much pressure on early and rusty Canelo will submit this time round....Why has Canelo slimmed down so much for this fight?

Last edited:
Canelo from the weigh in today vs. the weigh in this time last year

1536965606091.jpg

Don't see too much difference tbh

Chubberson

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 12, 2011
radelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Is that commission call or do the promoters get a say?

I just don't want another bullshit outcome like in their last fight.
Moretti did the first fight 115-113 for ggg. Trella 114-114 and Byrd 118-110 both have been replaced. Kenny Bayless the ref was unavailable so they got Benjy Esteves.

Benjy Esteves, Jr., referee: Esteves has never worked an Alvarez or Golovkin fight. A member of the New Jersey Boxing Hall of Fame, he has largely been known for his work on the East Coast in memorable bouts like Naseem Hamed-Kevin Kelley, Felix Trinidad-Pernell Whitaker, Miguel Cotto-Shane Mosley, Bernard Hopkins-Kelly Pavlik and Guillermo Rigondeaux-Nonito Donaire.

Other 2 judges are...

Steve Weisfeld: A former unofficial scorer on HBO boxing telecasts, Weisfeld will be judging his first Alvarez fight and fourth overall involving Golovkin. The New Jersey resident turned in a 115-112 scorecard in favor of Golovkin in his close decision win over Daniel Jacobs in March 2017.

Glenn Feldman: The final judge selected, Feldman's highest-profile bout was alongside Moretti at Mayweather-Manny Pacquiao in 2015. his steady reputation includes three previous Golovkin fights (all knockouts) and two involving Alvarez.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm at a family birthday.. anywhere to steam for free? Worst case I'll pay for it with Foxtel go

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm at a family birthday.. anywhere to steam for free? Worst case I'll pay for it with Foxtel go
Mate I'm in the same boat as you. I don't know any good streams tbh, and many are blurry or cut out. Unibet I thought may have it but if I had to guess would say no. Just get the ppv imo saves the * around.

Back