News Gone: Daniel Talia

Daniel Talia next year?

• Takes a year off, he’s a champ, he can do what he likes!

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Is drafted / signs to another team

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Goes undrafted / not signed to another team

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Signs as a coach somewhere next year

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

That story goes Cornes asked who wanted to play on Plugger, Ben Hart was the only one who put his hand up to do it.
Don’t forget that Ben was AA that year in his first season as an 18yo.

I was at that game and was blind. At the end of the game Crows board members came past outside and I was being vocal and sort of gave it to Sanders about Craig and Massie.

I received a tap on the shoulder and it was Nigel Smart, he said you can’t speak to Sanders like that, what’s the problem. Massie on Franklin!!! He asked who I would have played and I said Steven’s, “he’s just an average footballer” I asked why he was in the team then.

Next I suggested Bock, “yeah we could have done that”.

He diffused the situation and we ended up getting photos with him. Was a good guy. But ******* Craig should have been sacked after that game, idiotic dumbest move and that wasn’t hindsight.
Didn’t Massie do really well on Buddy in a minor round game earlier in the season? Hence it was worth another try. But the change should have been made.

Didn’t Massie do really well on Buddy in a minor round game earlier in the season? Hence it was worth another try. But the change should have been made.
Yeah.. he did really well on a wet, slippery night. Blind Freddy could see that he was going to struggle though, in a game played in broad (dry) daylight.

I was at that game and was blind. At the end of the game Crows board members came past outside and I was being vocal and sort of gave it to Sanders about Craig and Massie.

I received a tap on the shoulder and it was Nigel Smart, he said you can’t speak to Sanders like that, what’s the problem. Massie on Franklin!!! He asked who I would have played and I said Steven’s, “he’s just an average footballer” I asked why he was in the team then.

Next I suggested Bock, “yeah we could have done that”.

He diffused the situation and we ended up getting photos with him. Was a good guy. But ******* Craig should have been sacked after that game, idiotic dumbest move and that wasn’t hindsight.

But it worked only a few weeks earlier on a cold, windy and slippery night at footy park. Now, footy park was an oval and Etihad was also an oval. So both contests occurred on an oval. To suggest any other factors, inluding a further half of footy, had any meaning is just typical revisionism. This was a totally unpredictable event, even as it was unfolding, it couldn't be predicted.

But it worked only a few weeks earlier on a cold, windy and slippery night at footy park. Now, footy park was an oval and Etihad was also an oval. So both contests occurred on an oval. To suggest any other factors, inluding a further half of footy, had any meaning is just typical revisionism. This was a totally unpredictable event, even as it was unfolding, it couldn't be predicted.

We just had to back our system even more.

Neil Craig wasn't a good head coach.

2005/2006 were more about a healthy list and no Gary Ayers than about Craig's coaching ability.

He repeatedly made massively bad calls that cost us.

Massie on Franklin is on the minor side of the spectrum relative to his other goofs.

2005/2006 were more about a healthy list and no Gary Ayers than about Craig's coaching ability.

He repeatedly made massively bad calls that cost us.

Massie on Franklin is on the minor side of the spectrum relative to his other goofs.

We're still running his play book. He's destroyed every group he's come into contact with since leaving us. Melbourne had to bring in Paul Roos to exorcise the Neil Craig stench from the club. Suns, Blues, Dons and us are still mired in it to this day.

We're still running his play book. He's destroyed every group he's come into contact with since leaving us. Melbourne had to bring in Paul Roos to exorcise the Neil Craig stench from the club. Suns, Blues, Dons and us are still mired in it to this day.

I’m no Neil booster but even I’m surprised at the lack of success that has followed him since, and the lack of belief in him at all those stops

when he was here the belief in him and his methods was absolute

remember how we ate up all his undying allegiances to us, how he never wanted to coach anyone else. Then he threw himself about to anyone who gave him a sideways glance

the cult of neil in his time here was, well, like a cult

I’m no Neil booster but even I’m surprised at the lack of success that has followed him since, and the lack of belief in him at all those stops

when he was here the belief in him and his methods was absolute

remember how we ate up all his undying allegiances to us, how he never wanted to coach anyone else. Then he threw himself about to anyone who gave him a sideways glance

the cult of neil in his time here was, well, like a cult

He (and the club) rode the coat tails of the successful 97/98 fitness regime for far too long.

23 years too long in fact.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And work harder.
Yes, that was Craig's ethos.

Problem is need to be smart too...

No amount of fitness is going to help Massie cover Franklin on a fine day.

This is revisionist baloney.

Craigs transformation of our team from 2004 to 2005/2006 was nothing short of amazing.

2005 we were brilliantly coached. Heading into the St.Kilda final we were 13-1 over our last 14 games with an average winning margin of 40 points. The one loss coming by 4 points (in Geelong).

We lost Roo (stupidity) and Bock (freak virus) before that rainy Friday night game against the Saints. Those two play and we ain't losing and go on to a home prelim against Sydney - who knows what happens then.

2005 was our chance.

We were equally cursed in 2006 with Roo's dog virus & hentschels knee injury depriving us of our 2 best forwards for the finals series.

Another tough pill to swallow was losing Ben Hudson in late 2005 and for all of 2006. Its not often talked about - but having Biglands/Hudson would have given us a much better chance of trying to curb Dean Cox's influence around the ground. Matty Clarke was a great tap ruckman, but couldn't go with him around the ground.

This is what Dean cox did against us in 05/06 without Ben Hudson.

2005 Rd 22 - 19 disposals, 12 marks - 13 HO
2005 Prelim - 18 disposals, 14 marks - 13 HO
2006 Rd 2 - 24 disposals - 9 marks - 29 HO - 3 Brownlow votes.
2006 Prelim - 27 disposals - 6 marks - 16 HO

Biglands/Hudson playing together for those two finals series might have been enough.

Yeah - The Blues and Dons were both really well run clubs - right up until Neil Craig destroyed them. Same as Melbourne when he joined them in late 2011.

But I think he did most of the damage as a part time consultant at Gold Coast. When he joined that 3-19 powerhouse I thought the only way was up, but no he keeps dragging em down.

Brilliant posting.

Craigs transformation of our team from 2004 to 2005/2006 was nothing short of amazing.

2005 we were brilliantly coached. Heading into the St.Kilda final we were 13-1 over our last 14 games with an average winning margin of 40 points. The one loss coming by 4 points (in Geelong).

We lost Roo (stupidity) and Bock (freak virus) before that rainy Friday night game against the Saints. Those two play and we ain't losing and go on to a home prelim against Sydney - who knows what happens then.

2005 was our chance.

We were equally cursed in 2006 with Roo's dog virus & hentschels knee injury depriving us of our 2 best forwards for the finals series.

Another tough pill to swallow was losing Ben Hudson in late 2005 and for all of 2006. Its not often talked about - but having Biglands/Hudson would have given us a much better chance of trying to curb Dean Cox's influence around the ground. Matty Clarke was a great tap ruckman, but couldn't go with him around the ground.

Biglands/Hudson playing together for those two finals series might have been enough.

That is a lot of words to dedicate to being wrong. The irony of you bringing up revisionist history with this s**t.

That is a lot of words to dedicate to being wrong. The irony of you bringing up revisionist history with this sh*t.

Yeah - you right.

Maybe we could start a petition to get his 2005 Allen Jeans Senior Coach of the year award revoked!

Dear AFL,

We would like to petition for the removal of Neil Craig's 2005 Allen Jeans Senior Coach award on the grounds he is a bad coach. The Adelaide Football club were only good in 2005/2006 because Gary Ayres left and everyone became happy. We also had no injuries during this time (apart from Ben Hudson, Trent Henstchel, Roo for 3/5 finals and Biglands doing his ACL in the 1st quarter of a prelim).

I realise that this award is done on a voting system by other current AFL coaches, but I am not sure the coaching fraternity that included Sheedy, Malthouse, Leigh Mathews, Clarkson, Bomber Thompson, Worsfold, Longmire, and Choco Williams knew the above information when they voted.

Kind Regards,

The entire world.

2005 was our chance.

that ignores 2001/2002/2003 when we contenders, in fact we were bookies favourite heading into 2003 before injuries ruined us.

Craig did not take over a bunch of no hopers, he re-energised a contending list that he inherited.

that ignores 2001/2002/2003 when we contenders, in fact we were bookies favourite heading into 2003 before injuries ruined us.

Craig did not take over a bunch of no hopers, he re-energised a contending list that he inherited.

I am not saying we had a bad list, but we weren't really contenders in 2001 (8th). We were legit contenders in 2022 and then went all in for 2003 by bringing in Carey and Burns, but due to injuries that obviously spelt the end and we finished 6th (only above 8th by percentage).

The reason we were preseason favs in 2003 is because of the addition of Carey/Burns to help a forward line of Stevens/Welsh/Burton with a very good midfield / defense.

Heading into 2005 we were viewed as 11th favorites - having lost Kane Johnson/Steinglein/Bickley/Smart/Carey/Burns which were a big part of our 2003 favoritism.

Craig didn't walk into a Chris Scott/Nathan Buckley situation.

I am not saying we had a bad list, but we weren't really contenders in 2001 (8th). We were legit contenders in 2022 and then went all in for 2003 by bringing in Carey and Burns, but due to injuries that obviously spelt the end and we finished 6th (only above 8th by percentage).

The reason we were preseason favs in 2003 is because of the addition of Carey/Burns to help a forward line of Stevens/Welsh/Burton with a very good midfield / defense.

Heading into 2005 we were viewed as 11th favorites - having lost Kane Johnson/Steinglein/Bickley/Smart/Carey/Burns which were a big part of our 2003 favoritism.

Craig didn't walk into a Chris Scott/Nathan Buckley situation.

disagree. That’s exactly what it was

disagree. That’s exactly what it was

Chris Scott inherited a team that had the following finishes:

2007 - 1st with a flag.
2008 - 1st with a grand final loss
2009 - 2nd with a flag
2010 - 2nd with a prelim loss.

Buckley inherited a team that had the following:

2008 - 8th with a semi final loss
2009 - top 4 with a prelim loss
2010 - 1st with a flag
2011 - 1st with a grand final loss.

Craig Inherited:

2000 - 11th
2001 - 8th -(70 point finals loss)
2002 - 3rd - Prelim loss. If we managed to make the grand final we would have played Brisbane who already thumped us in the finals by 71 points).
2003 - 6th - 42 point semi final loss
2004 - 12th.

One of these situations is not like the other.

Chris Scott inherited a team that had the following finishes:

2007 - 1st with a flag.
2008 - 1st with a grand final loss
2009 - 2nd with a flag
2010 - 2nd with a prelim loss.

Buckley inherited a team that had the following:

2008 - 8th with a semi final loss
2009 - top 4 with a prelim loss
2010 - 1st with a flag
2011 - 1st with a grand final loss.

Craig Inherited:

2000 - 11th
2001 - 8th -(70 point finals loss)
2002 - 3rd - Prelim loss. If we managed to make the grand final we would have played Brisbane who already thumped us in the finals by 71 points).
2003 - 6th - 42 point semi final loss
2004 - 12th.

One of these situations is not like the other.

2002-04 we were a contending list cruelled by injury. In 2005 our injury run over corrected in reverting to the mean

2005 was our chance.

2005 we lost our chance when we lost to the Saints in the QF at home, and had to then play a prelim v WC in Perth we were never going to win.

Why did we lose the game to the Saints? IMO, because Craig refused to tag Robert Harvey because "good teams don't tag". His inflexible, stubborn approach to not not considering what the opposition were doing, cost us the game.

R. Harvey:
17 kicks
14 HB
11 marks
3 goals
6 tackles
7 I50
5 clearances

Back