News Gone: Hugh Greenwood traded to Gold Coast for 2020 3rd, 4th round picks

Remove this Banner Ad

But you watch the usual suspects try and explain these walkouts as a good thing and great list management.

"Reidy's a gun"
Reid thus far in his tenure at the AFC has proven to be one of our more competent operators.

He may not be of "gun" status but he's going OK.

He was. Which is why I think 20 may be a stretch. They don’t have another pick until the 50s though so may need some pick swapping to take place. Can’t imagine we are getting a player.

Champion Data rank him at 32 in the AFL. Hopefully the idiocy of our selection panel doesn't hurt his value too much.

For a player of his age that can't make the starting 22

Ok

But I have no doubt if we were buying a player that was like that abd 27 we would be offering a third

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Our starting 22 didn't make the finals and the football department that the selection committee works within has been placed under internal and external review. Maybe they weren't picking the right side? Statistically, Greenwood's last 40 games have him ranked 32 in the AFL, with only Sloane being ranked higher at the AFC. Maybe he should have been in the starting 22*?

*He absolutely should have been in the starting 22.

Our starting 22 didn't make the finals and the football department that the selection committee works within has been placed under internal and external review. Maybe they weren't picking the right side? Statistically, Greenwood's last 40 games have him ranked 32 in the AFL, with only Sloane being ranked higher at the AFC. Maybe he should have been in the starting 22*?

*He absolutely should have been in the starting 22.
You are clearly overating the list

But we will wait and see what happens next year I'm predicting 15th

You are clearly overating the list

But we will wait and see what happens next year I'm predicting 15th

Actually I'm not. I'm saying Greenwood should have been a lock for the 22 every single day of the week and that our selection committee is horrendous.

Actually I'm not. I'm saying Greenwood should have been a lock for the 22 every single day of the week and that our selection committee is horrendous.
Greenwood was horrible this year he deserved to be dropped on the occasions he was as was Gibbs and Betts and JJ

(Log in to remove this ad.)

See what’s happened when JJ and Gibbs and Betts and to a lesser extent Sloane got these contracts - couple of good years then blah. We were happy to give these players 2. They wanted more.
Agree with you about Gibbs and JJ.... stupid move giving them long contracts - stupid move talking Gibbs at all... but you can't put Eddie in same category... he knows how to play footy and he tries his guts out... as for Sloane, how can you mention him in the same sentence as those other two hacks???

Greenwood was horrible this year he deserved to be dropped on the occasions he was as was Gibbs and Betts and JJ

You could say the same for pretty much 90% of our players this year. Greenwood was just inconsistent in finding the footy. When he gets the ball, usually there is good things that happen. His marking also seem to have improved when marking up forward. If he ramps up his posession count to around 25 per game, then he's going to do some serious damage.

You could say the same for pretty much 90% of our players this year. Greenwood was just inconsistent in finding the footy. When he gets the ball, usually there is good things that happen. His marking also seem to have improved when marking up forward. If he ramps up his posession count to around 25 per game, then he's going to do some serious damage.

Rumour has it GC want to pay a third

Surprised the deal cant be done quickly

Hugh's not going to get up to 25 possessions per game. He's a contested ball beast, but he lacks some combination of footy smarts/elusiveness that mean that he just doesn't get enough uncontested footy.

Hugh got 1.8 contested possessions for every uncontested possession last year.

For people who got more than 10 possessions (total for the season) and played more than one game in 2017, only 14 players had a higher ratio: Marc Pittonet, Matthew Lobbe, Natanui, Oscar McInerney, Tom Campbell, Ratugolea, Kreuzer, Brayden Preuss, Ryder, Mumford, Stefan Martin, Sandilands, ROB, and Tom Hickey.

The next 14 on the list after Greenwood are Darcy Fort, Frampton, Witts, Archie Smith, Charlie Dixon, Dawson Simpson, Sean Darcy, Brodie Grundy, Bellchambers, Rowan Marshall, Rory Lobb, Mason Cox, Ivan Soldo and Shaun McKernan.

So Hugh ranks very much alongside most of the league's ruckmen and or giant forwards who pinch hit in the ruck when it comes to finding the ball in space. Not the profile of someone who's going to get it 25 times a game.

One last comparison (against our best contested ball players)

In 2019, Rory Sloane averaged 13.1 contested and 11.9 uncontested possession per game
CEY averaged 12.3 contested and 11.5 uncontested possession per game
Hugh averaged 11.4 contested and 6.4 uncontested possession per game

Last edited:
Luko can go pre seaaon draft too next year if that's how they want to play it.
He can..but if GC finish below us..or anyone else for that fact, they can take Lukosius before we can. So if we can convince lukosius to come soon and just put off contract talks, we need to finish bottom so we can get him in the PSD AND we get pick 1 to offer for Grundy..happy days (just not next year when we get beat every week tanking for a bottom place finish ;) )

If GC take Greenwood in the PS draft they can expect Adelaide to only ever offer well unders for Rankine and Lukosius. Dangerous game.

Given the revenge we've extracted against all of the other clubs that have stolen our lunch money, I can see why they would fear our reprisals.

If GC take Greenwood in the PS draft they can expect Adelaide to only ever offer well unders for Rankine and Lukosius. Dangerous game.

Clubs generally prefer to get a deal done, they don't want to create toxic relationships with other clubs as there many more future trade periods and **** a relationship based industry

Remove this Banner Ad

Back