News Staying: Knight says GTFO Carlton you losers, signs one more year

What will we get for Riley?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You've picked an odd target, honing in on the player with the highest percentage of contested possessions in the history of AFL football and who is also a tackling beast

Plenty of other targets

I didnt pick a target.
Someone said he was a mongrel tackler.
He isnt. He gets a lot of tackles but that doesn't make him a mongrel. In fact Hugh is probably the least mongrel bloke I've seen.
I used that point to identify a club wide issue, which i suspect you agree with considering you didnt actually address it?

The same as Jenkins gets a lot of goals but he isnt a good key forward.
Theres more to football than figures.

I didnt pick a target.
Someone said he was a mongrel tackler.
He isnt. He gets a lot of tackles but that doesn't make him a mongrel. In fact Hugh is probably the least mongrel bloke I've seen.
I used that point to identify a club wide issue, which i suspect you agree with considering you didnt actually address it?

The same as Jenkins gets a lot of goals but he isnt a good key forward.
Theres more to football than figures.
It's just odd of you

Tackling is 100% attitude and it's one thing he absolutely excels at

No one ever escapes his tackles

You could have made the comment about literally any other player on our list

It's just odd of you

Tackling is 100% attitude and it's one thing he absolutely excels at

No one ever escapes his tackles

You could have made the comment about literally any other player on our list

His tackle technique is great don't get me wrong.
Tackling is more than just attitude. It's certainly technique and intent too.

He's not overly aggressive and as I pointed out its an attribute that is sorely lacking at AFC on and off the field.
The only one that has it really is Fogarty. One that also does is Knight (but as we know he likely wont be at AFC next year)

Why does everyone take it as a knock? Its just one small aspect of a much bigger holistic footballer.

Put it this way, theres a reason we arent retaining him.

His tackle technique is great don't get me wrong.
Tackling is more than just attitude. It's certainly technique and intent too.

He's not overly aggressive and as I pointed out its an attribute that is sorely lacking at AFC on and off the field.
The only one that has it really is Fogarty. One that also does is Knight (but as we know he likely wont be at AFC next year)

Why does everyone take it as a knock? Its just one small aspect of a much bigger holistic footballer.
You can't be an elite tackler and not be aggressive

You can't be an elite tackler and not be aggressive

By pure numbers you can. Scott Selwood for example. not aggressive one bit but used to get a ton of tackles.
Sam Powell Pepper holds the record for most tackles in a game for Port yet hes on the trade table.

You can also be a great tackler without big numbers see guys like Cyril or circa 2014 Eddie Betts.

Inside midfielders always have higher tackling numbers because they are around the congestion all game every game.
The top 25 of tackles per game are midfielders (except for the bloke that played 1 game for 9 tackles)

What, aggression?

Severely underrated attribute.

One that Adelaide players rarely have.

In fact, the whole club lacks it and its one of the major reasons we are where we are right now.
We are just full of safe decisions and players.

We refuse to make aggressive plays on or off the field.
Not in Greenwood's case. He's a highly effective and prolific tackler. This is peak tackling and adding 'mongrel' to the technique just exposes him to time on the sidelines.

Walker used to love a good smackdown and look where it got him.

Not in Greenwood's case. He's a highly effective and prolific tackler. This is peak tackling and adding 'mongrel' to the technique just exposes him to time on the sidelines.

Walker used to love a good smackdown and look where it got him.

Getting reported = bad technique.

Theres a difference between mongrel and being dirty. Its a fine line but the differences are discernible

Would you agree our whole club lacks aggression and mongrel in every area?

How many times did Knight get reported while bringing mongrel every week?

New Coach: "Right so I want to introduce a play on at all costs, keep the ball moving forwards, overlap, overlap, overlap, hard two way running game style. Who do we have on the list that would suit that style?"

Football Department: "Um....well....Sloaney runs hard"

Coach: "Great, although he is ageing a little. Who else really gut runs?"

FD: "Um...well...there is this guy....he would suit well, but...we just agreed to trade him for pick 50....."

Coach: "Jesus. How long is the probationary period in this job? Can I leave yet?

Back in your box, Riley.

Hopefully a career defining moment for him.

Can no longer take the attitude that SANFL footy is beneath him. Not one club in the competition rated him inside their best 40 players. Does he now accept a one year offer from us on peanuts?

It's make a go of this here and now or it's over.

Is twice the footballer he's showed the last two years. Has been completely useless. Bring back the aggressive, passionate talisman who gets involved in everything. Goodbye the vanilla spud trying to remember 50 instructions about where to stand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back in your box, Riley.

Hopefully a career defining moment for him.

Can no longer take the attitude that SANFL footy is beneath him. Not one club in the competition rated him inside their best 40 players. Does he now accept a one year offer from us on peanuts?

It's make a go of this here and now or it's over.

Is twice the footballer he's showed the last two years. Has been completely useless. Bring back the aggressive, passionate talisman who gets involved in everything. Goodbye the vanilla spud trying to remember 50 instructions about where to stand.
Might suits Nicks game style?

Needs consistency in terms of positions and very simple instructions. Let's nail that and see what eventuates.

Despite where we have seen him play I actually think he's best football is as an outside running player.

I actually don't think he's a good tagger as he doesn't have the true smarts and concentration to play the role. He ends up trying to use his endurance to simply follow as closely as possible. He often ends up looking like he's being led on a leash which drains his energy. The best taggers have amazing focus and are actually very smart. They aren't always the quickest players, but they know where you are trying to get to and what you are trying to do and don't follow you blindly. Riley is unfortunately a blind follower.

I'm happy to give him another chance but not as a tagger.

The one positive out of all this, sometimes seeing the abyss makes a player. Knight has enough to offer to become a workmanlike role player in a side, which is fine, you need people to keep things ticking over, and you'd assume to be unwanted would burn at him. The other good thing is you'd have to assume Nicks would be a coach that would take a shine to Knights, if he gets back to 2016-2017 effort, so it's not like the path out of the woods is obscured.

It may make him as a footballer, or he'll be living up to the dead man contract I'm sure we'll offer him.

Bring back the 2017 form...he set that aggressive tone back then especially against Selwood.

Just in and out of injury the last couple of years and playing the galluci, Douglas half forward role.

Hope he gets a 1 year deal to find something again.

Still remember that clutch goal he kicked from the pocket at the g vs the dogs in that elimination final. He saluted to the sky for walshy. I thought he was going to be a special player for us. Cant help but think his footy has suffered under the previous regime. Id give him a year to prove himself with a new coach.

Back