Game Day Good, Bad, and Deplorable vs Geepires (Geelong & the Umpires)

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you feel lucky, punk?
Oh, wait. That was Dirty Harry who said that, right? Carry on...
Started my Sunday morning with a laugh, bloody funny, thanks :thumbsu:.

You probably think Geelong didn't deserve to lose, huh? Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.
As for last Friday night and the rest of the season --- any team don't wanna get killed better clear on out the back.

This was one of the highlights of the night for me. Tex is a beast and wears his heart on his sleeve. Loved it.

I think also that Tex is not interested in people who put themselves above the team. That showed through in his disdain for me when you consider what Walshy said about him.

That Smith 50m spear pass from the HB line to a crowded CHF.

Thing of beauty.

You know he's confidence is returning when he's hitting those.

Would love it if someone had footage of that.

I think there was a gif of it in the crows gif thread.

Edit: Just checked and it's not. But pretty sure I did see one done.

He looks the goods, but I reckon nerves got the better of him, especially in the second half. I remember 3 short passes by Keath to players in the clear but the recipient was static ie a safe option but not a run-on set-up play.
Greenwood started fearlessly in his first game, seemed unafraid to take it on/ backed his ability and maybe make a mistake in the process, and has gone on since then. Fearlessly, but Greenwood has uncanny on-field nous and skills. Keath looked like he didn't want to stuff it up, ie not make a mistake ==> concede a goal. That log BT had a word to him post-game. Keath seems like a genuine young bloke.

You don't think the difference in their game styles might have something to do with the fact that Greenwood plays mid-forward vs Keath in deep defense. Then also the fact Greenwood debuted against the 18th ranked team, vs Keath who just debuted in a 1v2 game?

I was quite happy with Keath playing it safe, also his disposal looks a hell of a lot safer than Hartigan, Talia, Kelly, Otten, Lever...

You don't think the difference in their game styles might have something to do with the fact that Greenwood plays mid-forward vs Keath in deep defense. Then also the fact Greenwood debuted against the 18th ranked team, vs Keath who just debuted in a 1v2 game?
I was quite happy with Keath playing it safe, also his disposal looks a hell of a lot safer than Hartigan, Talia, Kelly, Otten, Lever...
Yes, I see what you mean. Debut in a 1 vs 2 furnace was HOT induction.
Still, we have more games of Greenwood at AFL level to go on and Keath might well show similar flair given the chance of more games. My comments about Keath were positive, not disparaging. SAFE = good in defence, but there was something about his short-kicking that smacked of nerves to me. For all I know his mates instructed him to look for safe options.

Yes, I see what you mean. Debut in a 1 vs 2 furnace was HOT induction.
Still, we have more games of Greenwood at AFL level to go on and Keath might well show similar flair given the chance of more games. My comments about Keath were positive, not disparaging. SAFE = good in defence, but there was something about his short-kicking that smacked of nerves to me. For all I know his mates instructed him to look for safe options.
s**t, first gamer has nerves!!! Quick, call Rooch with the scoop!

Feel free to send this to them....

394207_85c3618bbcf3b9759fa86ee196cee859.gif
#freekickgeelong

The AFL were kind enough to tweet the footage.

Dangerfield slings Crouch after the ball comes clear at about the 20sec mark resulting in an incorrect free given.
Strange the afl didn't show a couple of seconds longer when the free was paid...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That Smith 50m spear pass from the HB line to a crowded CHF.

Thing of beauty.

You know he's confidence is returning when he's hitting those.

Would love it if someone had footage of that.

Pity about the shot at goal that Eddie handed off to him which he sprayed out on the full :p

Started my Sunday morning with a laugh, bloody funny, thanks :thumbsu:.

You probably think Geelong didn't deserve to lose, huh? Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.
As for last Friday night and the rest of the season --- any team don't wanna get killed better clear on out the back.

Perhaps we should start referring to Selwood as The Duck of Death? :p

We moved the ball differently Friday night. In the past when we move fast by foot long we play straight into their defensive trap. Friday we went by hand a lot earlier and got mids into the 50. That means that the Key Forwards were out of it more.
10 goals out of 13 came from our mids (and Luke Brown)
Keith was great for a first gamer, looks like an upgrade on Harts already.
Loved seeing the aggression from the crouch boys early, especially Brad.
Charlie looked switched on again.

Dangerfields flop was among the more pathetic things you'll see on a field. Media should scrutinise that as much as they did his heroics last week.
Yeah, I lost a lot of respect for him on Friday night. I was gutted when he left, but still liked him as a player, but wtf has happened to him? He always had a bit of the FIGJAM about him when he was here, but I don't recall him being soft. All the ducking and diving and flopping about playing for frees... He has been well and truly Geelongified.

We moved the ball differently Friday night. In the past when we move fast by foot long we play straight into their defensive trap. Friday we went by hand a lot earlier and got mids into the 50. That means that the Key Forwards were out of it more.
10 goals out of 13 came from our mids (and Luke Brown)
Keith was great for a first gamer, looks like an upgrade on Harts already.
Loved seeing the aggression from the crouch boys early, especially Brad.
Charlie looked switched on again.

Much shorter kicking, too. Instead of bombing long to the loose man or an outnumbered contest, we'd hold the ball and wait for a shorter kick to a loose player. We did seem to revert to the old bomb it long approach in the last quarter, though. No coincidence that that was when they got on top of us.

Much shorter kicking, too. Instead of bombing long to the loose man or an outnumbered contest, we'd hold the ball and wait for a shorter kick to a loose player. We did seem to revert to the old bomb it long approach in the last quarter, though. No coincidence that that was when they got on top of us.
I agree. I think that we we're buggered by then too.
Darwin does take its toll, the house of the rising Sun, it's been the ruin of many a poor boy, and god, I know, I'm one.

Yeah, I lost a lot of respect for him on Friday night. I was gutted when he left, but still liked him as a player, but wtf has happened to him? He always had a bit of the FIGJAM about him when he was here, but I don't recall him being soft. All the ducking and diving and flopping about playing for frees... He has been well and truly Geelongified.
Yeah I completely agree with that. I never had any bad feeling to him for leaving and wanted him to win a brownlow before his career was done but the 'Dangerflop' he's lost plenty of respect from me.

I watched the replay yesterday without the emotion of a live game (which I wanted to win) just to see if perhaps live I had Crows coloured glasses on(We've all been there). To be honest watching it without any emotion or care on the result only strengthened the view that we got reemed by the umps bad. I never like to comment on umpires here because enough people do that every match pretty much regardless of the true impact but I really hope the club selects 10 or 15 incidents and sends them to the AFL for explanation just to make a point if nothing else. I know nothing comes from it but if you are disgusted you should make it known privately whether you won or lost, infact I'd argue making the point when you win is even more important as it doesn't just seem like sour grapes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back