Analysis Good, Bad, and Frustrating vs Sainters

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh, you wascally wabbit, you! :rolleyes:

+

If the Crows win every minor round game left this year, you'll still be whingeing about BCrouch, and wemind us all that after 6 rounds we were 3-3 and how dare they beat GCS and St. Kilda who started the year better than us (btw, they can only beat the teams they have to face, which they did by 73 and 29 points, but that's not good enough for you :rolleyes:).

You're wight, though --- few will ever be intewested, because so many of your posts are negative junk, white noise. For you, the glass is neither half-full, nor half-empty. It's just a dirty glass, and water --- what water, wight? :drunk:

How unlike a fan from this board to construe a criticism of "don't get over excited at a win over an ordinary team that looked more like crack papering than genuine improvement" as a grievous personal insult directed at their house, their clan, and their liege lord.

While sounding negative I am not on board yet and think we have a fair way to go. The Gold Coast game was almost a training drill and I thought we only looked good yesterday once St Kilda dropped their pressure.

Of course that is to be expected but I still have some concerns how the team will go against an opponent who maintains intensity. I still think Pyke can coach us to finals but never a flag.

Having said that we are way ahead of where we were a few weeks ago and this isn't the time of year to be playing our best football.

Not enough being made of Lynch’s performance yesterday. I was at the ground and paid a lot of attention to him because he was under a lot of pressure to hold his spot after some awful form to begin the season, and I can safely say he was back to somewhere near his best. Only 15 touches, but made pretty much all of them count (highest DE of any crow on the day with 93%), had 2 goal assists, 7 score involvements, a great goal from the boundary line and presented all day. Hugely influential performance.

Other things that were good:
Tex - rounding into nice form and getting that swagger back. Should’ve kicked 5 or 6.

Smith - last two weeks have been the “AA Brodie” of several years back. 737 metres gained, and “that” piece of play where he burst through the centre and put a 65m drop punt on Tex’s tit at the top of the square were highlights.

B Crouch - comfortably our best mid on the day

Gallucci’s 1 percenters - he wasn’t perfect, but his speed and agility are a “must” in this side. He must have had about 6 smothers / intercept deflections which I felt were very important

Greenwood’s versatility - the ability to be an elite clearance player, AND be able to go forward and take a contested grab is a rarity.

Murphy’s pressure - didn’t have a great game overall, but held his spot once again due to some nice pressure acts. Was good to see him get on the end of a couple in the 4th.

Laird - finally a “Laird standard” game. Was arguably best on ground, and had 21 possessions in the 2nd and 3rd qtrs combined when the game was really on the line. Also had a team high 3 goal assists which is a rarity for someone off the HB line who often just hacks it forward under pressure.

Keath - honestly he’d have to be the outright leader in the B&F right now. 14 marks, 6 intercept marks, 21 touches at 90%, over 400m gained. This is not normal stuff from a 25 game tall defender.

ROB - absolutely annihilated Longer and must play every game for the remainder of the season when fit. His 3 intercept marks and pressure at ground level were real highlights, and Sauce quite simply isn’t capable of providing either.

Himmelberg - is already better than Jenkins at most things, most notably tackling, applying pressure, contested marking, ruckwork and presenting to the mids. Needs to work on his set-shots as he missed two real gimmes. Must not be dropped.

Votes...
5: Laird
4: Smith
3: Keath
2: B Crouch
1: Tex

Apologies to M Crouch, Lynch and ROB, as all 3 would feature in the votes most weeks with performances like that.

OK back to GBU..F?

Good

Weather the pressure early put it back and controlled the game, week 3 we would've gone into our shells, this week we took it on the chin and face back up and threw solid punches back.

ROB was massive, Kid is stepping up each week. I love the big Sauce but he can't come straight back in. ROB needs to play until he can't keep it up.
Keith, how do we keep finding quality defenders, amazing (on that like the look of Jordan Butts in the SANFL, I think we have found another one)
M&B Crouch, work so well in the middle, B Crouch still not at full tilt either but building.
Tex! That what happens when he's fit and we deliver it to him.
The Big Easy, could've had 4, solid it the ruck, 3 games...big tick
RAT, I think the dropping of Gibbs has woken him up, 2 good games in a row.
No injuries...what will the selection committee do this week?

Bad

Not much really, dropped off once game was iced wasn't good but probably more players taking a breath of relief after the season start. As long as it doesn't become habit.

Ugly/Frustrating

Reading the board the last few weeks, absolutely dominated by the doom and gloomers. We ain't done yet baby!

How unlike a fan from this board to construe a criticism of "don't get over excited at a win over an ordinary team that looked more like crack papering than genuine improvement" as a grievous personal insult directed at their house, their clan, and their liege lord.
I think most of us are more impressed that we finally have a direction to stop the teams from blocking our space by actually switching the ball and then going fast after we find an opening instead of just booming it down the line where we get intercepted and kicking sideways....that's a start I guess and we are also have better presentation in the air, interestingly this has started to happened with both RoB and Himmelberg in the team.
Don't forget we are also missing 5 first choice players in Doedee, Seedsman, Milera, Brown and Gibbs who are all in our top 12-14 players.

I think most of us are more impressed that we finally have a direction to stop the teams from blocking our space by actually switching the ball and then going fast after we find an opening instead of just booming it down the line where we get intercepted and kicking sideways....that's a start I guess and we are also have better presentation in the air, interestingly this has started to happened with both RoB and Himmelberg in the team.
Don't forget we are also missing 5 first choice players in Doedee, Seedsman, Milera, Brown and Gibbs who are all in our top 12-14 players.

We switched the ball in the other games too, the difference is those teams defended it well and forced us into turnovers that they often punished. In contrast St Kilda pressure and work rate was low after quarter time, and when we did turn it over the Saints were kind enough to give it straight back and let us have another try.

I really didn't like the choice of word used and was very tempted to report the post.
Fwiw, I reported the post last night as soon as I read it. On reflection, I should have just had a word to Betts are off.
1) but in my defense it is not used contextually in a sexually defamatory way. 2) It’s a descriptor and commonly used vernacular in AFL for that style of Forward.
3) But having said that I’m fine with not using it if it makes people uncomfortable. Certainly not my intention
1) It's indefensible, because as soon as it's used, it's used contextually in a sexually defamatory way. It's certainly not appropriate in here and there are many more choices eg "easy goal" or "effortless goal" like 2 of Jenkins' goals in the SANFL yesterday.
2) not a descriptor for this Board. "Commonly used" does not make it acceptable.
3) Kudos for thinking about it; I mean it. :thumbsu:
That term only has a connotation regarding a type of person, generally a woman. So while it is not being used in that context specifically, it's meaning alludes to a sexual/promiscuous idea (that is outdated).
I agree totally.

We switched the ball in the other games too, the difference is those teams defended it well and forced us down the line most of the time. In contrast St Kilda pressure and work rate was low after quarter time, and when we did turn it over the Saints were kind enough to give it straight back and let us have another try.
I thought the Saints pressure was very good, that's why they were 1st. I also saw us taking more risk with the 45 degree short pass, even Kelly took a few whereas we haven't been doing this or even look at taking it, likely movement down the ground was somehow stagnant early in the season and we got "lazy" or it was Jacobs and Jenkins not doing enough.....who knows, but it's a start.

Wabbit season! :D
And weird wabbit weasoning ("liege lord"?? :rolleyes: weally??)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The past 4 drafts:

afl drafts.png

Feel very good about 2015. Hunter prob nope, but Milera, Doedee, Thor and Keath - all strong hits.

2016:
Gooch, Poholke, Himmelberg and Davis.. Feel confident about Gooch and Berg. The bit on the sideline where Gooch rode the contact and dished out a hand pass was pure class. Berg really looks to have something - his ruck work looks very decent as well.

Poholke is clearly too good for SANFL, but needs to find a place/role in AFL. No idea about Davis, SANFL watchers will know better

2017:
Fog will get there, McPherson, who the F knows with his body. Wilson is depth, and Murphy will make it.

To be honest my read of the game wasn't that St Kilda dropped off the pressure after quarter time, it was that we massively upped ours and it was simply better than the Saints. We cracked in way harder on the inside and smashed them and they couldn't do anything, completely overcame the advantage St Kilda had in outside foot speed.

What's most pleasing is after 1/4 time we played the footy we expected match 1. Rounds 1 - 4 were horrible in play and standard.

To be honest my read of the game wasn't that St Kilda dropped off the pressure after quarter time, it was that we massively upped ours and it was simply better than the Saints. We cracked in way harder on the inside and smashed them and they couldn't do anything, completely overcame the advantage St Kilda had in outside foot speed.

There was quite a substantial difference in intent and pressure from two thirds into the first quarter relative to before, it was so drastic I'd like to know exactly what changed in the space of a few minutes. We went from barely winning a contest and letting them run off with it to smashing in and worrying their ball use. It was impressive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back