Review Good, bad and Talia v West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

We were in a similar position last year and what did we strive to do? Those late meaningless wins really helped us get off to a good start this year.
Our year to date seems a little similar to WC's 2017. And we get to go into the draft with a much higher 1st and 2nd round pick than those that will reflect where we finish on the ladder. There is a lot to like about some of the younger players in the SANFL.

I'm feeling quite bullish about a few of them. And hopefully Doedee will be back to his pre ACL form in 2020

Our year to date seems a little similar to WC's 2017. And we get to go into the draft with a much higher 1st and 2nd round pick than those that will reflect where we finish on the ladder. There is a lot to like about some of the younger players in the SANFL.

I'm feeling quite bullish about a few of them. And hopefully Doedee will be back to his pre ACL form in 2020
What did we decide to do last year?

Will be in our around our best 22 for a 2020-2021 assault:
Rory Laird
Paul Seedsman
Daniel Talia
Luke Brown
Rory Sloane
Tom Lynch
Taylor Walker
Matt Crouch
Brad Crouch
Hugh Greenwood
Rory Atkins

Unknowns right now:
Riley Knight - I am very close to putting him as a definite, but it really depends on who we draft this season. I can see him being apart of our future however.
Kyle Hartigan
David Mackay
Josh Jenkins
Jake Kelly

Retired/At the cliff face.
Eddie Betts
Sam Jacobs,
Richard Douglas
Andy Otten

Left the club:
Jake Lever
Charlie Cameron

If any of those "unknowns" are around for a 2020/2021 challenge we are in serious strife

The club has to have a long hard look at the forward line and make some tough decisions

Tex appears to be cooked. He either needs to play out of the square like Tom Hawkins does or give the game away.

Last night once again he's wandering around CHF spending the whole game doing 2 fifths of * all. The penny should have dropped before now that playing him there is pointless because he's just not effective across half forward anymore.

Himmelberg has potential, but is still a few years away from anything and over the last two weeks he has added absolutely nothing.

Eddie Betts is done. I love the guy and he's been a superstar for us, but his form fallen off the cliff. Last year you could excuse his form drop because of injury, but now it's obvious that he's sadly no longer the player he was and most probably needs to give the game away at the end of the year.

The club also has to ask some tough questions about Ben Hart. Is what we're seeing accurate an accurate reflection, or could Betts and Walker be achieving more with a better coach and forward line structure?

And that’s my point
I was only pointing out a few similarities, nothing more. I get that is no guarantee for anything. Should the club have finished lower last year. Maybe.

From memory Footscray were the next club below us on the ladder and won 3-4 less games. Considering the club was travelling quite well up until about round 8, and then had a collapse around or after the bye, not sure what else could have happened. Players returning later in the year from injury and having a little freedom seemed to have the club in a good head space going into the preseason.

The club has to have a long hard look at the forward line and make some tough decisions

Tex appears to be cooked. He either needs to play out of the square like Tom Hawkins does or give the game away.

Last night once again he's wandering around CHF spending the whole game doing 2 fifths of **** all. The penny should have dropped before now that playing him there is pointless because he's just not effective across half forward anymore.

Himmelberg has potential, but is still a few years away from anything and over the last two weeks he has added absolutely nothing.

Eddie Betts is done. I love the guy and he's been a superstar for us, but his form fallen off the cliff. Last year you could excuse his form drop because of injury, but now it's obvious that he's sadly no longer the player he was and most probably needs to give the game away at the end of the year.

The club also has to ask some tough questions about Ben Hart. Is what we're seeing accurate an accurate reflection, or could Betts and Walker be achieving more with a better coach and forward line structure?
Throw in selection. We lost a forward in Lynch and replaced him with a winger who we played up forward. Baffling.

What’s one thing you need to do against the West Coast defenders? Not allow them to take intercepting marks. How did Seeds playing up forward help with that? I reckon a brute in Fog who can not only mark but have them looking over their shoulder would have been a good start.

Good to hear. Add Rowell into the midfield group and you have a very good group for the next 7 years. Rankine on the outside would be the iceing.
Would we go with Rowell or Anderson, Both are top players and regard better than last years number 1 pick.
Rowell is 178cm at 75kg inside bull like M Crouch will give us a midfield in future of M Crouch, Jones, Mchenry all around 180cm,
Anderson that big bodied mid 190cm at 87kg, an has impacted the scoreboard.

Which if we get the choice what a great discussion to have

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would we go with Rowell or Anderson, Both are top players and regard better than last years number 1 pick.
Rowell is 178cm at 75kg inside bull like M Crouch will give us a midfield in future of M Crouch, Jones, Mchenry all around 180cm,

They're saying both are better than Walsh. Apparently the top two are outstanding and then there's abit of daylight with the quality of pick 3 and beyond. Therefore if we don't finish without a top 2 pick I would seriously consider using the pick in a trade.

As for who is better. I think Rowell would be the safer bet as he is more of a down to earth, hard nosed guy (Sloane) whereas Anderson seems to be more a "hollywood" so I think the go home risk factor for him is higher. He's 190cm and apparently quite explosive.

West Coast are everything we should be but aren’t and it sucks and the reasons are self inflicted.

1) Drop down the table to replenish when they are ****, we strive to finish as high as we can even if we can’t make finals
2) They attract players back home, we dont
3) They keep players, we dont
4) Oh and they didn’t lose 5 quality picks for salary cap rorting

I was thinking about the comparison between us and them at the game last night. Both relative power houses during the 90's. Who would have thought at the end of that decade we would go at least 25 years without a premiership.

1 game is hardly 'dominated the sanfl'. In that case, JJ is dominating the sanfl too

100% strike rate mate. That said, I did combine it with the Tasmanian league seeing there wouldn't be a large gap in skill between the two leagues, and Jones nearly won their equivalent of a brownlow off a small amount of games by memory (7-8 I think). Really, there has been nothing in the twos that indicates Jones isn't already too advanced for that level.

The jump between twos to ones is a massive chasm, and it is quite easy to be way too good for twos and lost in the ones, especially if you get given that dreaded half forward role.

Knight is just about done IMO. He doesn't do enough for a mid/fwd and isn't applying enough pressure to make up for his lack of offence

Trade

Was doing more then enough last season for it. This is a step back, but considering our entire forward line has done that, i'm not willing to hang him out to dry due to it. Really, he's an adequate defensive small forward at worse.

I'd keep as a depth piece.

If any of those "unknowns" are around for a 2020/2021 challenge we are in serious strife

Well no, Kelly, Hartigan and Knight are very solid depth pieces as a worst case. Mackay may become that if he'd take a big pay cut.

The issue points is really Jenkins in that lot.

Ugly:
The umpiring - I've been taught all about respect for umpires on coaching courses, but this lot were a disgrace to the profession. They were on their haunches just looking to pick out frees for WC, while missing several for us - kicking in danger, incorrect disposal etc. As for disallowing the goal, even the commentators were aghast, as they were for a few other decisions. I know Talia's misplaced kick led to a series of WC goals that we were ineffective at countering, but those officiating stopped us leading by far more than the 6 goals we were up. On three occasions that I can remember, the whistle went and our players headed upfield as you do for a Crows free kick, only to see that they had given WC the free. One of these as adjudged to be a 50m penalty! 36 hours later, I still haven't calmed down!

Last night once again he's wandering around CHF spending the whole game doing 2 fifths of **** all. The penny should have dropped before now that playing him there is pointless because he's just not effective across half forward anymore.

Last paragraph spot on- our forward line has been woeful this year...how much is that coaching related (given a lot on here were not happy with his appointment)..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

But will we take either? Haggis could pull a swifty!

Imagine the melts

Lot of angst at this game and rightly so. Definitely some positives though. Shouldn’t be forgotten that:

We are still working to a relatively new game plan and;
WCE are, and will be a top 2 side.

We did have them in the vice of our new game for 2.5 quarters. Of course the issue with the way we play now is that being defensively based it’s necessarily reactive. We’re not set up to score heavily, and so if an opposition gets rolling, we are left to try and stop the scoring rather that hitting back ourselves.

I don’t think the importance of DT’s and Smith’s errors in quick succession can be understated.

The game was on our terms and in a holding pattern. WCE were in a vice, game was slowly but surely sliding away from them. Don’t worry something will break for us soon, except it didn’t - until it did.

Once they were handed momentum, their stars came to life, and we were not equipped to return scoreboard pressure.

I still think the game plan is good. But it requires 4 quarter concentration. I’m not ready to write us off yet given the quality of the opposition, the quality of our outs and the fact we showed that, for long periods, we can control high quality opposition.

We’re still in the 8, this week is a non negotiable - there will be no positive spin that can come from a loss to Melbourne

Lot of angst at this game and rightly so. Definitely some positives though. Shouldn’t be forgotten that:

We are still working to a relatively new game plan and;
WCE are, and will be a top 2 side.

We did have them in the vice of our new game for 2.5 quarters. Of course the issue with the way we play now is that being defensively based it’s necessarily reactive. We’re not set up to score heavily, and so if an opposition gets rolling, we are left to try and stop the scoring rather that hitting back ourselves.

I don’t think the importance of DT’s and Smith’s errors in quick succession can be understated.

The game was on our terms and in a holding pattern. WCE were in a vice, game was slowly but surely sliding away from them. Don’t worry something will break for us soon, except it didn’t - until it did.

Once they were handed momentum, their stars came to life, and we were not equipped to return scoreboard pressure.

I still think the game plan is good. But it requires 4 quarter concentration. I’m not ready to write us off yet given the quality of the opposition, the quality of our outs and the fact we showed that, for long periods, we can control high quality opposition.

We’re still in the 8, this week is a non negotiable - there will be no positive spin that can come from a loss to Melbourne
I’ve adjusted to our best marking forward now being slower than Andy Otten and his best is never coming back

I’ve adjusted to our best small forward now being a 35 goal player instead of a 60 goal player

I’ve adjusted to our best defender potentially having one of his limbs snap off at any moment

We came up against an opponent whose key planks are at the top of their game

The selection and game plan was perfect.

We didn’t allow JGov to dominate the game - he had 1 contested mark. Well done EH.

We put numbers around the ball and then ran in waves - we had 50 more uncontested possessions.

Unfortunately a handful of dumb mistakes is all you need to open the door to West Coast, for whom winning games like that is a habit. No one else like them in the league.

Overall I thought it was pretty similar to the Freo game. A good standard close tough game. That time it was Freo with the brain fades and bad luck. This time it was us.

Ugly:
The umpiring - I've been taught all about respect for umpires on coaching courses, but this lot were a disgrace to the profession. They were on their haunches just looking to pick out frees for WC, while missing several for us - kicking in danger, incorrect disposal etc. As for disallowing the goal, even the commentators were aghast, as they were for a few other decisions. I know Talia's misplaced kick led to a series of WC goals that we were ineffective at countering, but those officiating stopped us leading by far more than the 6 goals we were up. On three occasions that I can remember, the whistle went and our players headed upfield as you do for a Crows free kick, only to see that they had given WC the free. One of these as adjudged to be a 50m penalty! 36 hours later, I still haven't calmed down!
It wasn't the umpires. It was a single umpire, #12 who was doing all the screwing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back