Review Good, bad and Talia v West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

I mentioned this before, with no response. In the last quarter, Kennedy's technique was to push Talia away and then leap for the mark. In one of those contests, one of his hands fended off Talia in the face: why was that not a free to us? There was no mention from the commentators, who, fairly, criticised a lot of other decisions.

Of course, I believe Kennedy only got that mental energy from Talia's earlier stuff-ups. :mad:

Its a strange season and we haven't beaten anyone significant and don't really need to, to make finals.
We look absolutely woeful at times and yet 33 points up against the reigning premiers without;
MCrouch, Lynch, Sauce, Gibbs, McKay, Jenkins, Douglas and Doodee.

We need to stop the likes of Shuey, Neale, Dangerfield being able to walk out the square.

Need more class in the back 50 as a combination of Kelly, Hartigan, Keath and Talia have made really costly mistakes in tight losses.

If Himmelberg is going to be the target then we need more offensive class in our small forwards. Murphy had to kick at least one of those snaps. Knight not dangerous enough.

Milera going forward changed the game for a while.
If McHenry or McAdam can do a role up forward that allows Milera to play Midfield then that could be enough to change the fate of the team.

At some stage Pyke has to pull the trigger on Fogarty, McAdam, McHenry, Scholl etc because its obvious the current brigade can't get the job done.

I don't know if this was true on Saturday, but on reflection it feels a bit like the 2018 GF. 5 goals down at quarter time, and the Weagles changed... pretty much nothing. They just persisted with their structures. In fact at qtr time in the GF I felt like "the Weagles aren't out of this, not by a long shot" and that was the feeling of my Weagles-supporting BIL also - and he would know a lot more about their structures than me.

I don't know - but maybe Saturday's game was a bit like that. Maybe the Weagles didn't change anything (major), they just persisted, and we fell away. After all, it was manic effort/intensity that won us that second quarter, and we didn't sustain that.

We've all been - rightly - critical of a few individual errrors, but really, if we had maintained the intensity of the second quarter those errors would have just been annoyances, not game-changing.

I mentioned this before, with no response. In the last quarter, Kennedy's technique was to push Talia away and then leap for the mark. In one of those contests, one of his hands fended off Talia in the face: why was that not a free to us? There was no mention from the commentators, who, fairly, criticised a lot of other decisions.

Of course, I believe Kennedy only got that mental energy from Talia's earlier stuff-ups. :mad:

Their senior players all stood up when it counted. Hurn, Shuey, Kennedy, J. McGov, etc.

Meanwhile ours were having a contest to see who could play the worst. Only Sloane gets a pass mark.

Matt and Lynch were key outs but even they've been patchy this year.

Their senior players all stood up when it counted. Hurn, Shuey, Kennedy, J. McGov, etc.

Meanwhile ours were having a contest to see who could play the worst. Only Sloane gets a pass mark.

Matt and Lynch were key outs but even they've been patchy this year.

Matt you could argue would have made a difference, as it's more inside power present in our midfield. Lynch it's hard to say, as our ball movement has been atrocious with and without him for the vast majority of this season, so there isn't a difference there he makes outside of being another tall. Perhaps that would have been enough however with both Tex/HH having horrid games, so just having a third target would have been invaluable.

Mind you, outside of one howler, Seedsman did have an alright game.

Said it before but Riccuito should not be commentating our games. Spends the whole time laughing and trying not to be biased. Enough foxtel. Put him on port games. Pavlich is very average as well. Nick Rievoldt is one of the better recent additions.
Yeah nah. You can keep him :)

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't know if this was true on Saturday, but on reflection it feels a bit like the 2018 GF. 5 goals down at quarter time, and the Weagles changed... pretty much nothing. They just persisted with their structures. In fact at qtr time in the GF I felt like "the Weagles aren't out of this, not by a long shot" and that was the feeling of my Weagles-supporting BIL also - and he would know a lot more about their structures than me.

I don't know - but maybe Saturday's game was a bit like that. Maybe the Weagles didn't change anything (major), they just persisted, and we fell away. After all, it was manic effort/intensity that won us that second quarter, and we didn't sustain that.

We've all been - rightly - critical of a few individual errrors, but really, if we had maintained the intensity of the second quarter those errors would have just been annoyances, not game-changing.

They dropped the Hutching's tag on Sloane and put all their guns in the midfield after half time.
Shuey, Gaff, Sheed ran riot and that bought their forwards into the game

They dropped the Hutching's tag on Sloane and put all their guns in the midfield after half time.
Shuey, Gaff, Sheed ran riot and that bought their forwards into the game
Well, I've got to admit I watched the second half mostly with my hands over my eyes :( so I can't comment on that - but, did they really "put all their guns in the midfield" that is, more than in the first half? Seems counter-intuitive. Or is that perhaps just how it seemed?

The Eagles never lose their ability to take key marks.

Also have a knack for drying up the scramble goals other teams score.

In that third quarter they dominated the Eastern side and moved the ball in a "Kick/Mark/Kick" method. Interesting looking at the Heat Map for this period.

Basically win the ball in the backline, we had a decent amount of I50s, then move down the wing with one long kick to a target up forward who marks the ball.

They play a basic attacking style underpinned by guys who kick strong and long out of the backline. Can mark the ball in the middle and three sizeable targets up forward.

Screenshot_20190527-161605_AFL.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

And for the stat watchers, we had more marks overall and more marks inside 50.

Yet we lost the game with an inability to score goals via our two key forwards marking the ball and kicking goals. And their ability to use marking the ball as a method of direct movement killed us.

Just shows you cant quantify this sport so easily.

Yet we lost the game with an inability to score goals via our two key forwards marking the ball and kicking goals. And their ability to use marking the ball as a method of direct movement killed us.

I don’t think you can lay the blame on our key forwards, just because that’s their strength. They won a flag playing the game you described, they play to the strengths of their particular list.

It’s like saying Richmond beat us because we don’t have a fleet of small forwards.

We stopped playing to our strengths which caused them to be able to utilise theirs

I don’t think you can lay the blame on our key forwards, just because that’s their strength. They won a flag playing the game you described, they play to the strengths of their particular list.

It’s like saying Richmond beat us because we don’t have a fleet of small forwards.

We stopped playing to our strengths which caused them to be able to utilise theirs
Yes our strength is hard working scramble goals. We generally get one or two goals a game from an easy goal marked by a big guy.

We didnt have that at all Saturday night. And then WCE dried up our scramble goal chances. Hence we kicked two goals after half time.

From memory the two go ahead goals they got were scramble goals. After we had plenty of chances to score our own.

AFL player ratings paint an interesting picture.
Talia had a horrible 3rd quarter but this is saying so did Milera. Might go rewatch it a bit closer.
Of the worst negative quarters it was the experience guys in Walkers, Betts and Talia that let the team down.
Greenwood, Crouch, Seedsman, Milera, CEY, O'Brien, Atkins, Murphy, had good 2nd quarters and non existent 3rds going by this.

Attachments

• D7ZzGj3UIAEdDWT.png
    D7ZzGj3UIAEdDWT.png
    100.1 KB · Views: 154

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL player ratings paint an interesting picture.
Talia had a horrible 3rd quarter but this is saying so did Milera. Might go rewatch it a bit closer.
Of the worst negative quarters it was the experience guys in Walkers, Betts and Talia that let the team down.
Greenwood, Crouch, Seedsman, Milera, CEY, O'Brien, Atkins, Murphy, had good 2nd quarters and non existent 3rds going by this.

ROB's third quarter was telling. I seem to remember he was off the ground for a long time (Himmelberg was still rucking when Vardy came back on).

Think that ankle is really bothering him.

Christ we have a lot of banged up/underdone players atm.

Salient. Especially "ability to use marking the ball as a method of direct movement " because that's what was happening in the 3rd quarter in particular. Right in front of me :(

During the first half they put up a graphic on the screen of the leading players for marks taken. Mostly Crows - I don't recall them all, but Atkins was up there :) Then during the second half the same graphic went up, and all of a sudden Weagles players were dominating it. A game of 2 halves.

It wasn't the umpires. It was a single umpire, #12 who was doing all the screwing.
If I may add to this, when I saw Stevic #9 was umpiring my wife and I looked at each other and said oh no not Stevic! without fail he single handedly murders us with his blatant calls against us, there was some putrid calls for sure but nothing handing you the game I think, unlike the Freo game yesterday handing Freo the game.

Ok, which one of you guys was unfortunate enough to have bought an overpriced Balfours pie at the footy on Saturday, which happened to have no contents? To have that happen on the day of such a choke elicits my full sympathy! Perhaps this was a special version intended to be eaten by Macadam? ;)
Probably the best pie Balfours has ever produced although their pastry is also disgusting.

Ok, which one of you guys was unfortunate enough to have bought an overpriced Balfours pie at the footy on Saturday, which happened to have no contents? To have that happen on the day of such a choke elicits my full sympathy! Perhaps this was a special version intended to be eaten by Macadam? ;)
I can understand going vego but this is a bit ridiculous

footyclassified-meatless-pie-e-jpg.682009

Its a strange season and we haven't beaten anyone significant and don't really need to, to make finals.
We look absolutely woeful at times and yet 33 points up against the reigning premiers without;
MCrouch, Lynch, Sauce, Gibbs, McKay, Jenkins, Douglas and Doodee.

We need to stop the likes of Shuey, Neale, Dangerfield being able to walk out the square.

Need more class in the back 50 as a combination of Kelly, Hartigan, Keath and Talia have made really costly mistakes in tight losses.

If Himmelberg is going to be the target then we need more offensive class in our small forwards. Murphy had to kick at least one of those snaps. Knight not dangerous enough.

Milera going forward changed the game for a while.
If McHenry or McAdam can do a role up forward that allows Milera to play Midfield then that could be enough to change the fate of the team.

At some stage Pyke has to pull the trigger on Fogarty, McAdam, McHenry, Scholl etc because its obvious the current brigade can't get the job done.

The only 3 we really missed from the bolded were MCrouch , Lynch and Doedee .
The rest if they never played for the Crows again we would not miss their overall input .

In the last quarter, Kennedy's technique was to push Talia away and then leap for the mark. In one of those contests, one of his hands fended off Talia in the face: why was that not a free to us?
I raised the same point. The face-fend is a free kick (high contact), or should have been.
I'm not sure about the chest-push, which Kennedy did when the ball was on its way, not within 5m (or is it 10m?). What's the rule on that?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back