• James Rowe

• Harry Schoenverg

• Lachlan Sholl

• Rory Sloane

• Brodie Smith

• Jake Soligo (sub)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Still think you are being unfair purely on the fact he is more "workmanlike".....what's wrong with that? Plenty of great blue collar midfielders in this game. The reigning Brownlow medallist could almost be painted in that ilk.

Hey no question he is workman like - and he managed a few votes in the Brownlow of 2021, you obviously have a much higher regard of him than I do, no problem - I also said he is currently very much needed by us my point is that if we are to become successful we need some class midfielders and for him to be perhaps third or fourth rotation not first selected as he currently would be.

Our issue is that our entire midfield of Keays, Sloane, Crouch and Laird are workman none of them can deliver cleanly into the forward fifty as kicking is not their strong points - that is my main reason for wanting some class in the centre.

How is that "unfair"?

Start of the third, 18 minute mark, Keays has an easy pass sideways to the wing and can’t hit the target. Puts the next player under pressure who kicks out on the full.

Follow up play, Crouch takes possession spins into 2 players, whilst it’s a harsh holding the ball it was a stupid first instinct. Goal and that starts the rot. 2 * ups from our first choice mids.

16 min mark of the third, Keays with time running on the half forward flank has a player loose inside if he lifted his eyes, instead he passes to the Pies player in front of Fog.

Let's just check in to the center bounce attendance stats for some other teams:

CBAs for players drafted in the last 4 years (>5 CBAs)
Noah Anderson - 21
Matt Rowell - 19
Thomson Dow - 18
Caleb Serong - 18
Sam Walsh - 17
James Rowbotton - 17
Zak Butters - 17
Chad Warner - 14
Tom Green - 13
Max Holmes - 13
Tanner Bruhn - 13
Josh Ward - 14
Jason Horne-Francis - 12
Declan Mountford - 12 (top-up player)
Jye Caldwell - 11
Jai Newcombe - 10
Jack Ross - 9
Tom Sparrow - 7
Tarryn Thomas - 6 (injured early)
Errol Gulden - 6
Curtis Taylor - 5

Schoenberg - 16 (that's it for us)

Things that stand out to me:

• Hawthorn gave their pick 7 from last year 14 CBAs straight off the bat
  • Sydney managed to find 31 CBAs for Rowbottom and Warner despite being a top team
  • West Coast top-up Declan Mountford wasn't even on a list a week ago and had more CBAs than our pick 11 midfielder Luke Pedlar
  • All top sides from last year managed to find a spot for a young midfielder except Brisbane and the Bulldogs (Melbourne, Port, Geelong, Sydney, GWS and Essendon all did). Us finding a spot for one player is no better than top teams who are stacked with talent
  • GWS have a stacked midfield but gave 26 CBAs to Tom Green and Tanner Bruhn
  • We had by far the least amount of CBAs and CBA rotations given to young players of the teams around us last year, except for Collingwood

Last edited:
I just can't fathom how badly we've started this year. Nothing in the first half week 1, and dropped away badly late second quarter and the full 3rd qtr this week. There are a bunch of players who simply aren't up to it, but what on earth have the coaching panel been doing over summer? No game plan, same old mid-field rotations, same old garbage delivery forward, and useless lumps of forwards without any upside (Berg and Fog in particular). I expected a push for the eight this year, not going backwards at a rate of knots.

To a certain extent, I'm not surprised or disappointed by how our team has started. Adelaide's team was both the youngest & least experienced in the competition this week - and both by wide margins. Adelaide's team averaged just 23yrs 7mths and 55.2 games per player. The next closest was Freo, with 24yrs 8mths and 62.9 games - a full year older and 10% more games per player. West Coast was the only other team with an average below 75 games, and they were full of COVID top-ups.

The simple fact is that our team is too reliant on a small number of players, with far too many of our kids just not pulling their weight often enough. This is to be expected given our team's youth & inexperience, and if this was all it was then I wouldn't be too disappointed.

The problem is that despite our youth & inexperience we're still not getting any midfield time into our next generation midfielders. They simply won't/can't develop and improve while we continue to play the same 4x experience midfielders in the guts at every single CBA.

If we are to move forward with the development of our midfield, we need to limit the CBAs of Keays/Sloane/Crouch/Laird. If it were up to me, I'd place a hard limit of 1 member of this group per CBA. If two of them attend a CBA, they both get dragged and spend the rest of the quarter sitting on the bench. The team is desperately inexperienced, so we need all of these players in our team - but we need to be finding other areas where they can contribute, without hindering the development of our next-gen midfielders as they are at present.

This may mean that our midfield gets destroyed badly in many games this year, as our midfield would consist of kids barely out of nappies - but eventually these kids would get better, and we'd start to see the light at the end of the tunnel. It's definitely a case of deliberately stepping back (short term), in order to move forwards (long term). At present, there is no light whatsoever in our midfield tunnel - it's pitch black, as far as the eye can see.

I just can't fathom how badly we've started this year. Nothing in the first half week 1, and dropped away badly late second quarter and the full 3rd qtr this week. There are a bunch of players who simply aren't up to it, but what on earth have the coaching panel been doing over summer? No game plan, same old mid-field rotations, same old garbage delivery forward, and useless lumps of forwards without any upside (Berg and Fog in particular). I expected a push for the eight this year, not going backwards at a rate of knots.
You weren't being realistic if you thought we were making the 8 this year. The teams recruiters have drafted poorly and the coaches are in self protection mode and unwilling to give the younger guys any responsibility. This means we're likely to get even worse before we get better as senior players slowly get phased out through retirement and are replaced with younger guys that are either too green (thanks coaches) or just not talented enough in the first place (thanks recruiters).

Noah Anderson - 21
Matt Rowell - 19
Thomson Dow - 18
Caleb Serong - 18
Sam Walsh - 17
James Rowbotton - 17
Zak Butters - 17
Chad Warner - 14
Tom Green - 13
Max Holmes - 13
Tanner Bruhn - 13
Josh Ward - 14
Jason Horne-Francis - 12
Jye Caldwell - 11
Jai Newcombe - 10
Jack Ross - 9
Tom Sparrow - 7
Errol Gulden - 6
Curtis Taylor - 5

• Sydney managed to find 31 CBAs for Rowbottom and Warner despite being a top team
  • West Coast top-up Declan Mountford wasn't even on a list a week ago and had more CBAs than our pick 11 midfielder Luke Pedlar
  • All top sides from last year managed to find a spot for a young midfielder except Brisbane and the Bulldogs (Melbourne, Port, Geelong, Sydney, GWS and Essendon all did). Us finding a spot for one player is no better than top teams who are stacked with talent
  • We had by far the least amount of CBAs and CBA rotations given to young players of the teams around us last year, except for Collingwood
That mountford guy seems pretty good then.

Is there still a mid season draft?

With the skill level of most of our guys we’d be better off playing fast. Holding the ball up allowing defensive groups to get back results in even more precision being required. The patch of footy that turned the game against Freo was all about taking the game on and giving the forwards some quick ball movement to work with.
There are literally only two players on our list who should have permission to hold the play up whilst they look for a precision pass up the field.

The first is Dawson, and I can’t remember who the second one is…

Noah Anderson - 21
Matt Rowell - 19
Thomson Dow - 18
Caleb Serong - 18
Sam Walsh - 17
James Rowbotton - 17
Zak Butters - 17
Chad Warner - 14
Tom Green - 13
Max Holmes - 13
Tanner Bruhn - 13
Josh Ward - 14
Jason Horne-Francis - 12
Jye Caldwell - 11
Jai Newcombe - 10
Jack Ross - 9
Tom Sparrow - 7
Errol Gulden - 6
Curtis Taylor - 5

This just summarises beautifully the lack of development of our players.

How can players develop if you don’t give them experience?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How can I be in denial when I’ve basically just said how bad our midfield in the post you’re replying to by saying who are these midfielders

We clearly haven’t been good at recruiting midfielders

You’re like rowie. You say that it needs to get better but then protect 3 of the 4 experienced guys whilst sending Sloane to a role he’s totally ill-equipped for. So your ‘solution’ is to make no change to 3/4 of the system and then run numerous players through the remaining 1/4. It’s rampant insanity.

Here’s a question, how much of Laird’s, Crouch’s and Keays’ TOG needs to be removed from their midfield minutes? Just numbers, words will tell an obvious story.

Here’s mine;
Laird 30%
Crouch 0%
Keays 30%

And before you spew any further rubbish, Crouch is at zero because he has no viable other role that he’d be competent at.

What’s your view on removing midfield minutes from Laird and Keays?

Apart from the obvious, the other problem here is the 3 young blokes that actually got a small shot, aren’t pure midfielders, Dawson I feel his best position won’t be as a midfielder, same with Rachele (way more valuable up forward) and same with Sholl.
Where the fu** are the players we recruited as midfielders?

Waiting for Rowe to get dropped and hoping McAdam isn’t the replacement.

I don’t know about Rachele he looked real good in there and he will be a goal kicking mid with his leg.

But the logic of not giving Pedlar one centre bounce but a lightly built Sholl is insane.

I recall seeing Lyons standing on a wing at a centre bounce with Mackay in the square at the GABBA a few years back. The usual suspects will chalk that up to someone complaining for the sake of it. But there’s no doubt that we have some seriously detrimental fundamental philosophies. If I went to an AGM, the only question worth asking would be, “to what extent does the Football Strategy Committee drive list management and game day selection and strategy”.

“And if that committee doesn’t drive football strategy, then why is it named as such?”.

“What does it do?”

That doesn’t necessarily mean it’s the right thing to do though.

He continues to look nothing like an inside type to me. Seedsman is more inside than him because his central strength is better. Dawson is a pure outsider, half back type. Anyone believing he’s going to add another dimension to our stoppage system is delirious. The only dimension he’ll add to the stoppage contest is abject incompetence. And the one thing we aren’t totally s**t at is breaking even at those contests in terms of win:loss stats.

There's nothing wrong with Ben Keays. The hate he receives on here is a byproduct of the hate our entire midfield receives, which is by far the worst midfield in the competition.

Keays is our best (or second best) midfielder and the only real issue with that is at any other club he would be a 4th or 5th best midfielder in the second rotation. Nothing wrong with that, you need those sorts of players, but you can't have them as your best mid and expect to go very far

No, this is stupidity. It’s the weakness that results in refusing to identify individuals to improve the team. Our midfield is s**t, every component is fair game in terms of needing to be improved upon. Otherwise you end up like Jeffcrowe, who also accepts its s**t but outside of dumping Sloane, there’s no other available improvement.

Ben is ok, but he’s exactly the problem whilst being as good as we want him to be.

Noah Anderson - 21
Matt Rowell - 19
Thomson Dow - 18
Caleb Serong - 18
Sam Walsh - 17
James Rowbotton - 17
Zak Butters - 17
Chad Warner - 14
Tom Green - 13
Max Holmes - 13
Tanner Bruhn - 13
Josh Ward - 14
Jason Horne-Francis - 12
Jye Caldwell - 11
Jai Newcombe - 10
Jack Ross - 9
Tom Sparrow - 7
Errol Gulden - 6
Curtis Taylor - 5

Great post.

When can we start issuing joint "please explain" notices to the club and start sending the same notes to Cornes for him to spew his normal tripe

Great post.

When can we start issuing joint "please explain" notices to the club and start sending the same notes to Cornes for him to spew his normal tripe
It’s ******* crazy when you look at the stats.

Like I could understand if we had Petracca, Oliver, Viney and Brayshaw in there. Then it would make sense why you might not free up a lot of CBAs for a rookie.

But * me, we have Laird, Crouch, Sloane and Keays. And crouch missed all of last year. You’re telling me we can’t free up minimum 50% of CBAs for our young guys.

Yeah I try to set bias aside, I don't rate him as highly as his biggest fans (AA jumper is very farfetched and a product of 'box score watching') but even then, still think he'd be a very, very good third cog in any midfield.

I just see a lot of similarities to the role Rockliff played for us in a very similar stage to what the Crows are going through, and he was celebrated by us, not hated on like he is here. Feel it is unwarranted is all

Where would he sit in your current midfield? First or second best? Better than Lyons?

Back