All Australian
Sep 29, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
Good:
-Aiden Rileys NRL tackle on Brad Ottens.
-Scott Thompson's shut down role on Joel Selwood.
-Andy Otten being played on Stevie Johnson (i said in a earlier thread he should be put onto Johnson)
- Patrick Dangerfields burst away from Wojinski
- Chris Knights, and Rory Sloane controlling the wings/half foward.
- Walker didnt have the best of days, let the likes of Wright, Maric and Henderson to get into the game.
- Daniel Talia is standing up in defence. Few seasons in the gym and this kid will be a gun.
- Tony Armstrong and Jared Petrenko taking the game on.
- Another good four quarter performace.

Bad:
- Easy set shots missed in the first half
- The coast to coast that Geelong scored from memory about 3-4 goals.
- Subsitution of Aidan Riley in the last quarter.
- Letting Shannon Byrnes one of the most quickest players in the Geelong team, to come on in the last quarter and kick 2 winning goals as the Sub. Bicks should of been aware of that.

The Ugly:
Cameron Mooney's hit on Graham Johncock- Mooney will miss a couple
- Joel Selwood could also be in trouble with the hit on Vince.

the good.....people who've been labelled spuds we should delist or trade turning to diamonds in the rough, look at armstrong and mckernan

makes me wonder what a few others would look like in the "new" system - whatever that is exactly.....

Good
Aidan Riley love that blokes aggression and attack on the man/footy
Tony Armstrong proves why he should be kept on for the next few years
Walkers roost from 60
Dangerfield and Sloane finding the pill
Knights getting into a bit of form in the middle
Talia beast defender

Bad
Poor goal kicking as usual
Andy Ottens fumbling
Talias hospital kicking

Ugly
Turnovers that resulted in Geelong goals

GOOD:
- Tackling, contested ball, clearances. Hard, contested football. Just about beat Geelong at their own game.
- Sloaney was amazing.
- Talia. Awesome game from him.
- Midfield really worked. I'm liking vB in the middle, he's been great the last couple of weeks.
- Petrenko. I didn't think this kid would make it, but his recent performances have shown he's AFL quality for sure!
- Aidan Riley's tackle on Otten. I think he nearly killed him!

BAD:
- Difficulty scoring from opportunities. Could almost put this down to Geelong's defence though. Really had to work for every score.
- The amazing retracting advantage rule.

UGLY:
- Mooney's head high on Stiffy.

This thread is going to be full of idiots thinking we did well tonight because we got within 2 goals of Geelong.

The ugly thing is we lost another game we should of won, we dominated all the relevant stats playing at home against a side that has made 5 changes.

The bad thing is we actualy deserve to cop s**t over another sub standard performance and result from proffesional footballers, but we wont,We will be patting them on the back.

The good?
Some young players played well against a seasoned big bodied outfit, the crowd involvement was immense....

Shaun McKernan showed PLENTY as a key back...read the ball well, knew when to punch and when to mark, showed poise...was really impressed! Showed that he is more than capable of holding down CHB for mine...he's a gem and we let him go I'll spew...

Sloaney played easily his best game for the club he was sensational...

The brilliant form of the captain continues post-NC...I get the feeling he has really taken the sacking of NC personally and has sparked him into some serious form...the sort of form that made everyone fall in love with him in the first place....

Talia seriously needs to work on his foot skills...seems so reluctant to kick the ball!!! Otherwise his defensive work is brillant...

This thread is going to be full of idiots thinking we did well tonight because we got within 2 goals of Geelong.

The ugly thing is we lost another game we should of won, we dominated all the relevant stats playing at home against a side that has made 5 changes.

The bad thing is we actualy deserve to cop s**t over another sub standard performance and result from proffesional footballers, but we wont,We will be patting them on the back.

The good?
Some young players played well against a seasoned big bodied outfit, the crowd involvement was immense....

It's just a legitimate point but I think you still have to take a realistic stance.

In the end, this is a team in poor form coming up against a class outfit in white-hot form.

Yes you can't accept 'moral victories' but there comes a time where you have to sit back and say "well, given the circumstances, we did pretty well."

If this was earlier in the year, I would've felt the exactly same way as you.

o yer another good thing..........looks like there was some boys in form in the SANFL just going on the stats, bit of competition for spots this week, anyone got any reports.....

The good?

Would you be happier if we were never in a position to win?

Don't forget how rubbish we have been too quickly.

Also, spelling and grammar are your friends.

Yes you can't accept 'moral victories' but there comes a time where you have to sit back and say "well, given the circumstances, we did pretty well."

We did well with the amount of ball we won, the clearences, the stoppages and the inside 50's. All things we've consistently got belted in this year.

But we burnt the ball when we had it, especialy forward. Geelongs defence had what? 3 very very good players missing?
Club needs to take the oppotunities presented to them.....and we failed.

Malcolm Blight would be ropeable if we think we did alright today, we lost this game, geelong did not win it.

The good?

I thought you were terrific all night except for a small laps in the second quarter,you could easily have won the game,people who think you did well are probable very good judges.
Bring that intensity to the game every week and you will win more than you loose.
Best of luck for the rest of the season.

Would you be happier if we were never in a position to win?

I would find it of no help if people think because we got close it is "good thing" in any way. The moment you accept losing, you are a loser.

Don't forget how rubbish we have been too quickly.

You'll never get not rubbish with this attitude.

We did well with the amount of ball we won, the clearences, the stoppages and the inside 50's. All things we've consistently got belted in this year.

But we burnt the ball when we had it, especialy forward. Geelongs defence had what? 3 very very good players missing?
Club needs to take the oppotunities presented to them.....and we failed.

Malcolm Blight would be ropeable if we think we did alright today, we lost this game, geelong did not win it.

We took steps forward tonight with our contested ball and work at stoppages, but forward entries have been an issue for us all year (and longer). We're not exactly going to turn that around in a week, especially not against a quality defence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The good?

Need to also acknowledge that we were missing some important first choice players as well - Rutten, Tippett, Mckay, Douglas, Callinan

I would find it of no help if people think because we got close it is "good thing" in any way. The moment you accept losing, you are a loser.

Well, sometimes you have to measure the results against your expectations prior to going into the game.

If you expected the Crows to finish off Geelong by a goal or two in a close tussle, you're probably delusional. Personally, I was expecting to get flogged. Therefore, today's performance exceeded my expectations. Therefore, I am pretty happy with it.

Sure there were plenty of things which could have been done better, and winning would have been great, but in the context of this year that was a good game for us.

If that's accepting a loss, then hey, I'm a loser. I'm also happy with life, and happy with our prospects for the future.

We took steps forward tonight with our contested ball and work at stoppages, but forward entries have been an issue for us all year (and longer)
We're not exactly going to turn that around in a week, especially not against a quality defence.

Milburn, Mackie and some hack called Scarlett all were missing from that defence. Yet they still owned us on our home ground.

No loss is honourable at home in these circumstances, IMO.

Unfortunatly Bickley cant put his foot down if he thinks we blew this game, because he's the caretaker coach and it means nothing unless he gets the job.

The Good
Rory Sloane
Riley coming on - looks composed but just needs to fix his kicking.
VB & Thommo busting ass.
The young Back 6, coughed up a few easy goals but if the idea is to look at 2012 we have some bloody exciting times ahead.
Playing on was fantastic.
Petrenko - proving me wrong.
not taking a backwards step at all.

The Bad
our forward entry - cost us the game.

The Ugly
the new form of disposal - the under pressure throw, I think two got picked up the rest were allowed by the umps.

Good: Danger running away from Monica, their quickest player, having the temerity to take a bounce, and getting away with it.
Hendo putting his body on the line a couple of times.

Bad: We lost when we could have won.
Hendo having his shirt pulled before taking possession of the footy, then getting pinged for holding the ball when he thought he heard a whistle (which he should have heard).

Ugly: The umpire deciding that the interpretation of the advantage rule whould be changed to let Stevie J have 2 shots at goal for the same play

I don't think McKernan works as a key defender. He was ok at times against a pretty cold Cameron Mooney, but not enough to suggest he has a long term future as a key defender. His future remains as a forward-ruck/second ruck/relieving utility ruck, whatever you want to call it.

Walker, he continues to show that he's not #1 key forward material - doesn't win enough one on one wrestling contests, and he plays behind his man far too often. He's good when he gets on his bike and make a lead that goes in a good direction, but he just doesn't display any aptitude for playing at the hotspot, in the contest and under the ball.

It would have been nice if Geelong had actually left first gear at some point during the first quarter and a half. Even then, in the second half they just cruised around in second gear doing what needed to be done and not much more.

1 Good 4 qtr effort (yeah even in the second, this was Geelong) the second quarter was where we could have been blown away but hung on instead.

2 Hardly a passenger all contributed the backline was desperate we one the stoppages.

3 We one the stoppages.

4 We won the stoppages.

5 ...stoppages!

The Bad

Not much....some fumbling and errors but mainly due to their attacking game, but supporters wouldn't care too much as long as they have a go and play footy like they did tonight.

Poor Crowd considering the opposition. Not good enough people.

I know he had a reasonable game but Reilly gives me the shits. Again gets caught holding the ball taking the player on. At a crucial stage in the let qtr, 3 weeks in a row he has had major brain fades at crucial times.

good:

agression, tackling, pressure
mckernan slotting straight into the backlines
getting clearances
armstrong's precision kicking.
sloane taking a knee to the face and just keeping on

bad:
goalkicking a worry
some of the decisions from doughty, vince and reilly in particular. what was vince trying to do on the boundary when it went ootf?
having different interpretations of the take your own advantage rule

ugly:
the terrible inside 50 entries.
letting the game slip away in the second.

The Good:
We took the game on and attacked. We didn't go into our shells and stood up to Geelong.
We never gave up. To get back within 6 points late in the game when we could have capitulated was fantastic
When we dominated play, we also put it on the scoreboard.
We look like a side on the improve rather than the basket case we were under Neil Craig

The Bad:
A couple of costly defensive lapses, mainly during the second quarter
Our struggle to take a mark inside 50 early in the game. Ok, delivery wasn't that great but there were a couple of straightforward marks we missed too.

The Ugly:
Matthew Nicholl's umpiring. I've never seen a crowd turn on an umpire like that before, but it was well warranted. It wasn't so much the one's he paid to Geelong, but it was the blatant ones that he missed for us. If he can't see holds, high tackles etc, then he shouldn't be umpiring.

Good:
Rory ****ing Sloane. What. A. GUN! Was everywhere
VB- I’ll reiterate what I said last week, he is like a whole new player under Bickley
Andy O, Kept Stevie J quiet
Knighta was good
Danger’s goal and him burning off Wojo in the wing
Pets
Daniel Talia and Smack, A+ effort in defence today boys
4 qtrs of effort
Hendo's goals
Walker's 3

Bad:
Our skills at times let us down

Ugly:
Stevie J's advantage being called back. Disgraceful.
UMPIRE 15 I HOPE YOU ARE DROPPED NEXT WEEK. THAT WAS A ****ING s**t PERFORMANCE. I have really, never seen a crowd boo 1 single umpire so much before. The guy that jumped the fence was out for blood.
Mooney’s hit on Stiffy. Needs to go for a week or two for that

Remove this Banner Ad

Back