Review Good Bad and Ugly vs GWS - Rd 7 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

We need more top picks and elite mids with them. AFL is 80% midfield. Horne is a must now.

We're on a downward trajectory in terms of performance but this is the first game this year where we've looked out of our depth/non-competitive for most of it. I thought it'd come before Round 7!

The selection of someone like Mackay is supremely annoying but it's obvious to see why he was selected, with Lynch and Brown out and still no Sloane, Crouch and Talia.

I think "lost it at selection" is a lazy comment too. People need to re-think the notion of dropping slews of players weekly. The by-product of bottoming out and going full rebuild is that players who are out of form get games. That's what "getting games into them" is about. We can argue about who that is week to week, but the idea that you can bottom out without having stretches of bad form doesn't compute. That's what bottoming out is. Are there 7+ players out of form that "deserve" to be dropped? Yes. But just go and have a look at the squad, minus injuries. It's bleak, particularly the forward line and midfield. Overall if Worrell and McAsey play well again tomorrow then they do need games.

I don't know the answer at the moment - I'm just watching how they go about it. To me, they're on the right track. We're 7 proper games in to the rebuild. It'll be another 25-40 before we see anything resembling consistency. If you are watching expecting us to be on top in most games you'll just be depressed every week. I think a portion of our fans say they're prepared for some pain, but then don't accept it when it obviously comes.

Full credit to Jesse Hogan - he wins this week's "Bloke Who Hasn't Done Jack For Years But Kicks 4 Against Adelaide" Award!
If we want mids with class ball use it's Campbell Chesser not Horne.

Break even in the midfield and it's a completely different game.
Translation:
If we had a very much different/better midfield, we might not have lost that so badly.
Problem:
Where will that come from? Sloane/Mrouch returning, non-match-fit?
Nuh-uh.
Only better, smarter recruiting will save the Crows. They are years away from Top 8.

Translation:
If we had a very much different/better midfield, we might not have lost that so badly.
Problem:
Where will that come from? Sloane/Mrouch returning, non-match-fit?
Nuh-uh.
Only better, smarter recruiting will save the Crows. They are years away from Top 8.
Understanding that helps the club draft for the future.

Agree with all of this except Kelly being in the ugly category. He was our best back by a mile today.

He did a good little spinny move. Other than that I can count many times where he didn't get close to it. Certainly not alone but at some point you need to wonder how many goals worse we would be without him and the answer is 'not many'.

Bad: 2020 Tex seems to be back. Constantly playing behind his man and wanting the easy ball over the back. One handed marking attempts. That comical advantage he took after McAdams free. We must wait til the end of the season before making any decision about a contract for next year.

He must be carrying problems again he went from.flying for everything to staying grounded again. Can only think of a couple of times he heaved himself off the ground. Very strange.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And Berry wasn't too bad given he's a 1st year mid playing mostly forward

yes, he wasn’t too bad, he was terrible, I’m assuming we drafted him because he could tackle and we didn’t look up any of his disposals

Tex was s**t today. Lazy, looking for the cheap goal out the back and way too conscious of his opponent in the marking contest.

I love the way he started the year but he's definitely been on a gradual decline in the last 2-3 weeks. For whatever reason is reverting back to the 2020 version himself.

Absolutely slaughtered in the midfield. Obviously outclassed, but also an element of either being gassed or not caring. Giants were waltzing out of there.

Inside 50 entries atrocious. Tex had definitely regressed to the mean. Terrible goalkicking didn't help. McAdam touched the ball a bit more, but still something of a nonentity.

Umpiring re: holding the ball remains... perplexing.

Good? IDK, Murray kicked his first goal. Murphy and McHenry somewhat enterprising.

DABM called it after the Hawks game.

This would be pretty deflating for the players

I know we're in a rebuild but they're human and want to win

I wonder if we'll come out flat next week?

Good - Hard to imagine anybody being too buggered for next week.

Bad - Barring Murphy , I couldn't see one player putting their body on the line , Gil WS attacked every contest on a different level of intent.

Bad - Our backline and midfield were of U14's standard at best , missing a couple from both positions ( though I doubt it they would have changed the result).
ROB a shell of himself.
Our forward structure however was an absolute shambles and we took a few steps back today.A lot of that was due to the poor delivery ( see above ) and our non existant crumbers. Why we cant present an option and if we do, provide a decent delivery is dumbfounding for professional footballers.

Feels a bit like one of those Suns' seasons. A few early wins to give false hope then hit the wall a month or so in.

The grind of getting up every week over and over again is difficult for young players. Takes a while to come to terms with.

We're rebuilding.... ok. Do we have enough talent on the list to rebuild with? Probably not. The worry is we fill up the team with players whose ceiling is a good ordinary AFL career.

At least Fog wasn’t called upon with minimal game time left, means he’ll get a full run tomorrow yeah?
Thought he was in our best 5 or 6 today

Bad: 2020 Tex seems to be back. Constantly playing behind his man and wanting the easy ball over the back. One handed marking attempts. That comical advantage he took after McAdams free. We must wait til the end of the season before making any decision about a contract for next year.
I think we all wondered how long it could last. We're now finding out I think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back