Review Good bad and ugly vs kangaroos

Remove this Banner Ad

Brendan Goddard commentating on the weekend footy so far on Melb TV says Ben Brown is flopping for frees and paid out the umpires last night for falling for it. He told Brown to stand up and play football. It shat me off completely at the game and his frees in front of goal made a huge difference. You can play as s**t as you like but if the other team is equally as s**t and you win - a win is a win no matter how bad you are, you don’t deserve to have the umpiring go against you just because you are playing badly, but when the umpiring turns the game, which it did, supporters have a reason to bitch.

Sorry for late post. I was driving all day. Here's my match review:

NM were s**t in the first half.
Crows were even shitter after half time.

Beaten all over the ground in every key statistic. i50s and defensive non-efforts in F50 shameful. Horrible to watch.
Melt to be continued when I get back to Adelaide ...

At least Tex crashed the packs and brought the ball to ground.

Better than a tall forward who approaches packs like a basketballer trying to tip the ball one handed while not avoiding body contact. Or a tall forward who can’t kick more than 40 metres so hangs off the back of every pack hoping the ball carries over the back and he can get 10 cheap run and carry metres before he has to kick.

Unfortunately Jenkins is the epitome of that old sexist saying “Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane”

Except that now the Crows Janes are tough, committed and not afraid to put their body on the line when it’s needed

Wow that was a nightmare.

Unlike previous weeks it wasn’t just our forwards this time, this was a whole team non effort. Smashed out of the centre, smashed in the clearances and just 36 x I50.

Midfield bullied by more committed players.

I’ll say it again until I’m blue in the face, the process of turning over this list needs to start sooner than later.

We overrate them, they have had secure tenure for 5 years and have shown themselves to be unable to take the biggest step.

I don’t advocate bottoming out, but I advocate making a start with a 2-3 year plan with the aim being for 90% of this group to be turned over.

I think we need to earmark 6 players who played last night to be the main players in our team in 3 years time.

Those should be Sloane, the Crouches, Milera, Smith and Jones. Sloane and Smith on the way out by that point but they'd be the main senior guys still in the side.

Everyone else should be cycled through and I'm including Laird and Keath in that pack although I'd hope both will press claims in our future side. I'm not sure if Laird is just out of form or not suited to the modern contested game

I'd expect Doedee to also be there, along with a number of our first round draftees playing SANFL right now. We just need to get them in and cycle others out.

Last edited:
What do you mean this again . If this has been discussed previously I wasnt aware. Can you expand on what your comment is all about.
Long story short. None of the Crouches were going to sign because they were both unhappy with the club and wanted out. After Matt had signed, supposedly Brad was pissed if with the club and wasn’t going to sign. Nek minit.

Just to add a little more fuel to the fire....I watched Tex and Brouch having a talk after a goal was kicked and it was as if Brouch didnt want to listen to what Tex had to say. Perhaps this is my imagination but it just made me think that Brad isn't happy being at the Crows. Yes he appears committed and not happy.
Brad looked like he'd been on the angry pills early in the game, particularly around the time he was forced off to get the oil leak fixed

I have been singing the Crows theme as a bed time song every night (when I am home) for the 6 years of his life.

Ugly: I could not face singing it tonight He was upset that I could not sing it.

I agree with this, such timid play.
I don't care about switching and chipping the ball around, it's poison and it's our first thought. It's our mindset now.
No one can tell me that type of football wins premierships. Under pressure the game plan collapses because it gives time for defenses to fill holes, man up and restructure further up field.
It concedes territory, puts pressure on the next kick, and pins you back into the dead pockets. A possession that started between half back and wing ends up being helmed in one of the dead back pockets.
The next option is limited as where to kick so quickly the pressure is on and we aren't coping at present.

Not to mention what it does to the forward play.
Forwards don't know when to lead, play far too deep up the field and are running into a clustered zone where mid fielders have flooded back.
Everyone complained at Jenkins getting easy goals over the back in 2017 but that was symptom of quick ball movement and defenders not being able to get back to support each other. It screamed quick ball movement.
If a ball is voluntarily pinned in our defensive half most of the night because of timid and slow ball movement cheap goals will never happen and good teams get a few of them a game. It also limits defences pushing up.
At present our tall forwards are rarely given the luxury to play one on one.

Keath played a great game but he never moves the ball on. His first reflex is to look left and right and then he stops holds his hands up and does a bail out kick or takes the 8 metre pass.
Kelly always goes sideways or the short kick. He never clears lines but puts the responsibilities onto some one else.
Talia is as slow as a wet week in July both in foot speed and moving the ball on.
Hartigan is selected for his body work and defensive play but should never be given the chance to kick the pill if possible.( A man's got to know his limitations.)
Smith has a cannon but how many times does he actually use it.
I can't understand at kick outs why he can't run 5 metre and then belt the crap out the ball down the centre and clear the defensive zone. Surely coaches are creative enough to work out multiple schemes where his kicking can be utilised. At least we're half way up the field!!!
Don't get me started on the vision of our mid fielders!

I'm sure this will be the first rant of many over the coming weeks but my frustration for our game plan is real.
A lot of what I wrote is exaggeration but our first look is always sideways and it's a habit.

Apart from dropping multiple players what can we legitimately do to alter these results?

The coaches have to change our play style; change our kick outs, encourage run and forward movement, try to move the ball through the centre corridor and bloody teach a shepherd.
Pyke believes in his structures and blames our execution. He might be right but that won't change our results unless he's prepared to change his mindset.
The objective is to move the ball forward with speed and vision.

Rule 1. Any player who kicks the ball backwards or sideways is fined if a forward target was available. Every bloody time!!

I've got a hundred rules but that one rule would at least make our games watchable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Long story short. None of the Crouches were going to sign because they were both unhappy with the club and wanted out. After Matt had signed, supposedly Brad was pissed if with the club and wasn’t going to sign. Nek minit.
Thanks. I didnt know that it was serious. I have heard that Brad was annoyed because of how we managed his injury last year but I didnt know that Matt had the same feelings. I guess that we will lose two more good players in the coming years.

Thanks. I didnt know that it was serious. I have heard that Brad was annoyed because of how we managed his injury last year but I didnt know that Matt had the same feelings. I guess that we will lose two more good players in the coming years.
Sarcasm meter on the blink?

His point was it was all bullshit and exclusive to the Crows BF board..

So who is leaving and what club is taking them???

Name a plausible scenario, I'll wait...
Lol, thanks for waiting ... What else were you going to do ???

No way Tex, Sloane or Gibbs move ... And I wouldn't want them to.

Jenkins and Lynch would be of value on the trade market. We wouldn't get much back, but they would be snapped up.

We would have to pay some of their salaries, as happens with other clubs

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Question would we have been a better team if we had kept Gov, Lever and Cameron and lost Tex, JJ and Betts by not extending their contracts at the time?
Fog can take a mark and crash a pack
Doedee replaced Lever easily
Is Milera Cameron material ?

Sliding doors just makes me feel even more depressed but I don’t think the scenario you pose would have seen us better off

I still maintain KPF are gold

If they actually BOTHERED to kick it to Tex in the first place and then maybe above his feet in the second place he’d be hitting the scoreboard

Reason Eddie kicked 3 - thank Christ - was he is an opportunistic forward and doesn’t rely on structure - which is a good thing as our “structure “ is s**t

Lol, thanks for waiting ... What else were you going to do ???

No way Tex, Sloane or Gibbs move ... And I wouldn't want them to.

Jenkins and Lynch would be of value on the trade market. We wouldn't get much back, but they would be snapped up.

We would have to pay some of their salaries, as happens with other clubs

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

They're both out of form, so I doubt clubs are exactly straining on the leash to get one. Like you said we 'wouldn't get much back'. So what would the point of letting them go be if we wouldn't get much back AND have to pay their salaries? Sounds pretty pointless...

Jenkins has it on easy street, why would he move to another club that might hold him accountable to his performances? Likewise Lynch, why move clubs now?Signed for decent cash and has time, no incentive to move.

Only realistic chance is a club pushing for a flag who is looking for extra depth, even that's a stretch.

They're both out of form, so I doubt clubs are exactly straining on the leash to get one. Like you said we 'wouldn't get much back'. So what would the point of letting them go be if we wouldn't get much back AND have to pay their salaries? Sounds pretty pointless...

Jenkins has it on easy street, why would he move to another club that might hold him accountable to his performances? Likewise Lynch, why move clubs now?Signed for decent cash and has time, no incentive to move.

Only realistic chance is a club pushing for a flag who is looking for extra depth, even that's a stretch.
The reason you get them out ... is to clear the 22, and make space for new talent. You do it to improve the team and to try and win a flag. Who cares about trade-value and $$$ ?

Players will move even if they look entrenched, there are plenty of examples. We may see them as lazy, but these guys are driven athletes that have egos and need to be performing. You don't make it to where they are through fear and not backing yourself.

The reason you get them out ... is to clear the 22, and make space for new talent. You do it to improve the team and to try and win a flag. Who cares about trade-value and $$$ ?

Players will move even if they look entrenched, there are plenty of examples. We may see them as lazy, but these guys are driven athletes that have egos and need to be performing. You don't make it to where they are through fear and not backing yourself.

You trade players away for draft picks or to free up cap space.

You're suggesting we give them away for free to clear the 22... :drunk:

You trade players away for draft picks or to free up cap space.

You're suggesting we give them away for free to clear the 22... :drunk:
Look at what Port did with Lobbe, paid the bulk of his salary and gave him away to free up a spare list spot. Demons traded Watts whilst paying the bulk of his salary just to get him out of the club. It's aggressive list management and is more than plausible.

Look at what Port did with Lobbe, paid the bulk of his salary and gave him away to free up a spare list spot. Demons traded Watts whilst paying the bulk of his salary just to get him out of the club. It's aggressive list management and is more than plausible.

I just so no incentive in it for us. We get picks or draft picks. We have plenty of blokes in the magoos we can drop if we want another spot.

I'm happy to pay their salary if we get a good pick in return or visa versa.

I just so no incentive in it for us. We get picks or draft picks. We have plenty of blokes in the magoos we can drop if we want another spot.

I'm happy to pay their salary if we get a good pick in return or visa versa.
The question is more are you prepared to pay their salaries while they coast in the 1s?

Trade options only work if there is an agreed value

The only option is to drop them to the 2s. And at our club that wont happen.

Yep, we locked away a lot of these players for security in 2017 when it looked like we had the list to push for finals for a period, until 2021, at a time a lot of players were or had left. It's what the supporters and the club wanted. Stability.

It hasn't worked out but it's the risk we took back then and realistically, we have to stick with that plan of stability until 2021 and unfortunately I think that means the coach as well. The staff around him should be changeable though along with fagan and the board. We are just going to have to make no excuses and selections needed to be spot on to give us a chance. Currently they are not.

The question is more are you prepared to pay their salaries while they coast in the 1s?

Trade options only work if there is an agreed value

The only option is to drop them to the 2s. And at our club that wont happen.

Rubbish, they don't get dropped as the coach doesn't believe he has any one better in the two's, he is the most qualified to know that aswell having watched them train a play all year round.

He obviously doesnt rate the list depth

Remove this Banner Ad

Back