Review Good bad and ugly vs kangaroos

AFL Club
Adelaide
Bugger all.

All night we were getting smashed in centre clearances. At one point in the third / last quarter I thought to myself that we just need someone with agility/speed in the centre bounce - why don’t they put Milera in there. Lo and behold after the next Roos goal Milera goes in there and gets the clearance.

What I don’t understand is why some of this stuff is so obvious to us dumb supporters but is oblivious to the coaches.
To us supporters it seems obvious, maybe because our assessments arnt blinded by numbers and key performance indicators etc. we just call it as we see it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pea Nut

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Adelaide
My original post stated our older players and their contract status noting the difficulty of trading them for picks or cap space in order to help kick start a rebuild.

OutoftownCrow explained what we all already knew which was contracted players get traded all the time. I requested a realistic example, he could not provide an adequate one. You took the time to explain how players can and do get traded for nothing.

Both re-enforcing my original point we have painted ourselves into a corner with older player contracts.
Maybe, but it's not like there isn't options. So, which direction do you want the club to take. Stay the course or embark on a rebuild ??

OutofTownCrow

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
New York Rangers, Dodgers, Redlegs
Yes, players move clubs to free up cap space. NO ******* SHIT SHERLOCK. Stop acting like no one else understands the concept, why do you keep repeating it?

We are not stuck with these guys solely because they are contracted. We are also stuck with them because they are shit.

And we finally get to the crux of my argument!!! Yay!!!

This will never happen and your trade scenario is delusional. Jenkins is not going to GC, not now not ever. Want to bet on it? Name your price? There is no ceiling on this bet.
You seem to be losing your cool, that's always a good sign during a discussion.

And another thing to note... Posting 'wanna bet?!!!' doesn't give you as much cred as you think it does

Sent from my Armor using Tapatalk

AFL Club
Adelaide
You seem to be losing your cool, that's always a good sign during a discussion.

And another thing to note... Posting 'wanna bet?!!!' doesn't give you as much cred as you think it does

Sent from my Armor using Tapatalk
Oh noes my 'bigfooty cred'!!!

Don't worry I have a solution, I will regain my 'cred' by posting highly plausible trade scenarios such as Jenkins to GC for Luko and some junk picks or perhaps technical drafting info such as the ability to trade players for cap space (wowee).

I anticipate regaining my bigfooty cred it no time! yay

Rory Walkerfield

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Adelaide
I rewatched some of the sanfl game tonight. It is hard to believe that our seconds were playing the same game plan as our firsts.

In the sanfl we piled on the goals in the third quarter by moving the ball forward long and quick.

In 2017 this was our plan too. Basically we backed ourselves to win a shoot out and we generally did. It’s like the GF loss meant that Pyke threw that approach out the window when what he should have done was develop a plan B for when plan A doesn’t work, but he should have till stuck with plan A on game day and only triggered plan B if the opponent started to get on top.

Now we don’t even have a viable plan A!

Sanders

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Adelaide
No I want cap space or picks, not nothing.

You're telling me what I want now??? lmao
The bizarre thing is you somehow have assumed that cap space doesn’t automatically come with trading a player

It’s not a box on the form you have to tick

Yes, players move clubs to free up cap space. NO ******* SHIT SHERLOCK. Stop acting like no one else understands the concept, why do you keep repeating it?
You don’t seem to understand the concept even if others do

AFL Club
Adelaide
The bizarre thing is you somehow have assumed that cap space doesn’t automatically come with trading a player

It’s not a box on the form you have to tick
So by trading a contracted player we will definitely free up cap space? If so pull the trigger, yeahh boiii.

What if we pay their salary? Is that taking up our cap space or theirs? I don't care about the actual money I just about the cap space or picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CrowBloke

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Good: some glimpses of former brilliance (Betts volley-goal, Walker's left-foot pass to Betts) but miserably rare.

Ugly:
--- Betts' determination to take MotY before he retires. I thought he was 'tunnelled' somewhat by the Pie player who backed into him (3rd quarter?) but he still went early and landed on his face. Again. The frees he gives away going for a speccie are momentum-stoppers.
--- Brownflop's exaggerations for frees, which he gets!! His attention-seeking, time-wasting 40m run-up to kick for goal is ludicrous.
--- Keath (14 marks, 8 cont. possessions, 85% DE, all very good) could be a star but his getting caught htb in the last quarter (I think) is symptomatic of his biggest flaw. He took possession in clean air, but dithered so long thinking about what to do next that he was tackled. I hope he speeds up his decision-making processes, soon. His delays when he has possession help the oppo players to defend further up the ground.
It's Ugly, not Bad, and he's one of the least of our team problems.

Bad: where to start?
--- NM kicked the ball worse than us in the first half (which is hard to do) and could easily have led at half-time.
--- 36 x i50s, ffs, cannot produce a winning score.
--- worst of all, we looked dispirited and disunited, low on energy and enthusiasm, not working/playing for each other.

Most of our players are not Rocket Scientists, but they are smart enough to be aware of
--- the Gold Pass system which made Gibbs the token scapegoat. If Pyke was serious about punishing poor form then at least 2 of JJ, Murphy, and Hartigan should be dropped.
--- the employing and retention of incompetent Assistant Coaches as better assistants (eg Teague) leave
--- a lack of Coaching direction on Game Day. Oppositions do not let us play "our way" any more and Pyke has to come up with other ways.

deaneus

You wouldn’t believe me if I told you
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Black Caps & in R4 = Gold Coast
Moderator #691
Looks like "maintaining the trust in each other" is going to be our theme of the week

(according to Tom Lynch today)

Code for no changes
Excellent.

Agreed.

In 2017, Adelaide were top of the league in points from turnovers and points from half back, while they were number six in contested possessions.
This season they are 18th, 16th and 15th.

Looks like the 666 rule and our coach’s inability to plan around it has killed us

Top Bottom