Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not unsurprising for a 2nd year beanstalk

He will get stronger , he will never be Max King level though but there ain’t many that good
M.King was overwhelming favourite to go pick 1 in the 2018 super draft but did his ACL after dominating the first few games of the U18. CGS could have had both King brothers and Rankine or Port Power could have had B.King.....

Last edited:
Far from solid as I saw it for 200cm didn’t se him launch at to many packs, but well give him the excuse list

That's not Thilthorpe as a footballer, and the trap in his profile is you get sucked into the height and expect that Kurt Tippett pack crashing forward. We'll eventually have to find that pack crashing forward to pair with Thilthorpe (and Gollant who is more than capable in this facet).

We have something very different and much rarer on our hands with Thilly. Think more Nick Riedwoldt in style, a lad who can act as the link up, burn opponents and act as a proper focal point in an offense.

Why I'm critical of someone like Fogarty when he's not crashing packs is he doesn't have a pathway to make it as an AFL footballer without doing that, seeing he lacks the ability to accumulate and be effective in other facets. With Thilthorpe, him occasionally crashing packs adds a bit of extra icing to a cake as he has the game to be dominant elsewhere (once he's 4-5 seasons into the system and we don't do anything stupid with him).

Last edited:

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not AFL level of involvement , work rate , like having one man down

Played like an unfit 18 yo getting a taste but not being ready to play AFL football

3 marking forwards is an idiotic strategy. Every week you're playing 1 passenger. 3 players shared in 22 touches and 1 is a relief ruck. Who else plays 3 key forwards that rely on marking the footy? I'm all for dropping fog, but not replacing him with another KPF type. Tex clearly needs a rest though, so I'd be playing just Fog and TT for 2 games and replace Tex with someone like Newchurch. Rachele struggling physically kind ruins that though, but I'd bring in Pedlar too. So out Tex and Rachele both managed, in Pedlar and Newchurch for 2 games minimum assuming work ethic is up to scratch.

Yeah they need to stop ducking. It's starting to be a problem now. Other teams are getting pissed off with it and umps will stop paying them soon.

Umpires will always fall for ducking if a player has a knack for it. After all, subtlety will always mess with an umpires call.

Aug 31, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
That's not Thilthorpe as a footballer, and the trap in his profile is you get sucked into the height and expect that Kurt Tippett pack crashing forward. We'll eventually have to find that pack crashing forward to pair with Thilthorpe (and Gollant who is more than capable in this facet).

We have something very different and much rarer on our hands with Thilly. Think more Nick Riedwoldt in style, a lad who can act as the link up, burn opponents and act as a proper focal point in an offense.

Why I'm critical of someone like Fogarty when he's not crashing packs is he doesn't have a pathway to make it as an AFL footballer without doing that, seeing he lacks the ability to accumulate and be effective in other facets. With Thilthorpe, him occasionally crashing packs adds a bit of extra icing to a cake as he has the game to be dominant elsewhere (once he's 4-5 seasons into the system and we don't do anything stupid with him).
Not expecting him to crash packs, I want to see a high draft pick with all these “assets” that he has launch and take some pack marks, I’m expecting more from him for what he is supposed to have in his bag, I am probably being a bit harsh, but he hasn’t convinced me YET

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
3 marking forwards is an idiotic strategy. Every week you're playing 1 passenger. 3 players shared in 22 touches and 1 is a relief ruck. Who else plays 3 key forwards that rely on marking the footy? I'm all for dropping fog, but not replacing him with another KPF type. Tex clearly needs a rest though, so I'd be playing just Fog and TT for 2 games and replace Tex with someone like Newchurch. Rachele struggling physically kind ruins that though, but I'd bring in Pedlar too. So out Tex and Rachele both managed, in Pedlar and Newchurch for 2 games minimum assuming work ethic is up to scratch.
Yep we might as well give Fog another game without Tex just to see if it helps ,’nothing to lose really

Maybe not against Geelong though , give Tex a rest when Rachele is back

LeftyLuke

Cancelled
Mar 29, 2022
AFL Club
Adelaide
Umpires will always fall for ducking if a player has a knack for it. After all, subtlety will always mess with an umpires call.
They should also be thinking of the potential long term damage from continual head high hits. It's not something I wanna see. Play the game the right way.

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Honest question guys what did you think of the umpiring
I'll bet the Saints board has a lot of "We were nearly robbed by the Umps" complaints.

Our smaller players got a lot of frees for head-high contact or high tackles which could have been called stoppage, for ducking. Line ball.
The frees that annoy me have to do with the League calling out htb at the start of the year, then under-umpiring it:
--- player spins or starts to, ball gets loose when tackled, called play on or htb on Umps' whim.
--- player gets ball, is tackled, gets one hand free to tap or hand on the ball short distance to teammate, not called illegal disposal/throw/htb :grimacing:. Saw plenty of those.

I think 'kicking in danger' is under-umpired, tbh.
I'd also like to see baulks by player-with-ball to fake out the man 'standing' on a mark not being paid 50m for a half-step indiscretion. A whistle to reset both is enough.

Jun 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not just misses up forward. What was going through Strachans head with his pass attempt to Jones 30m out from Saints goal? And Jones turnover short pass that gave Saints another goal.

Some tidy up on both ends

The positive is - unlike the majority of games over the past couple of years - we can be genuinely frustrated that we should have beaten a top 6 side. Development is happening, we are getting much close to knowing our core team for next 5 years. We desperately need a Rankine, a centre half back, a classy mid at pick 4 in this years draft and an athletic ruckman. But we are closing in on completing our squad

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I'm not excusing the kick, but it was actually a brilliant kick and it should have been marked. The recipient probably dropped it through severe shock. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LeftyLuke

Cancelled
Mar 29, 2022
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm not excusing the kick, but it was actually a brilliant kick and it should have been marked. The recipient probably dropped it through severe shock. ;)
It was a weak effort from Jones. Strachan will learn who to not kick it to in fromt of goal.:)

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think the question is how long do you persist with players that continually don't take their chances? Even Nick's had to admit it's it's not an anomaly and it's a pattern. Our midget brigade of Murphy, Rowe, McHenry isn't getting any more skilled.
Rowe has skills and footy smarts so I think that’s a bit harsh to put him alongside those 2 and even then I think all 3 won’t be here when we are next contending, we are so far off it in terms of the players we have recruited/are playing/retaining

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
But yep even with all that still had enough good shots on goal to win by 3-4 goals
I thought our goalkicking was woeful --- 1.5 made me worry, early, then 4.11 later. It's definitely a problem, but it was not the only reason we lost. Scoreboard pressure from early dominance was needed, for sure.

If the Coaches and players are saying/thinking "All we have to do is kick better for goal" (Nicks implied it in his presser), it won't be enough.

Their field-kicking is terrible, in general; too many short passes either missing the player, or to a contest and not in space to a teammate's advantage (someone else mentioned that, earlier), or worst of all straight to a grateful opponent.
They get in each other's way at stoppages, causing too many one-metre handballs to a mate in trouble himself.
Too many hail-Mary, back over the head handballs or behind the player running past.

Skill errors all over the ground let our opponents score too easily.
9.15 to 10.6 wins the game, and better teams do win like that (eg Richmond 11.14, NM 7.6 ie Richmond kicked badly but held NM to 48 points).

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Pedlar, Cook, Milera, Rachelle and Sholl, all good kicks ......moving fwd, you can't imagine Hately, Keays and Berry, all in the same midfield rotation .....in fact it's not a lock Berry makes it, depends on how you view his upside :think:
Completely disagree, Berry now he's being given some decent minutes on ball is getting better every week.

200 game player I just hope they are all with the Crows.

Unlike Keays and Hately he's a straight line player and has the strength and acceleration to brush off tacklers.

Of the 3 players you mention he's the only one with the hops to be an aerial threat as well.

Aug 31, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Completely disagree, Berry now he's being given some decent minutes on ball is getting better every week.

Unlike Keays and Hately he's a straight line player and has the strength and acceleration to brush off tacklers.

Of the 3 players you mention he's the only one with the hops to be an aerial threat as well.
Berry for me .......

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide

He’s going so well , also love his tackle and pressure count . Proper 2 way mid

Aug 28, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Coventry City
Sorry for the intrusion guys but has your club considered playing Fogarty at CHB? Could do similar to Paddy McCartin as they have similar body types. Good set of hands, quite a nice kick, but doesn’t get into the correct spots as a forward.

LeftyLuke

Cancelled
Mar 29, 2022
AFL Club
Adelaide
Sorry for the intrusion guys but has your club considered playing Fogarty at CHB? Could do similar to Paddy McCartin as they have similar body types. Good set of hands, quite a nice kick, but doesn’t get into the correct spots as a forward.

It's a good thought but he was played down back in the SANFL. I'm not sure how he went down there but it mustn't have been overly successful as they never tried him at afl level. For mine he needs to lose a lot of weight off his legs and get a lot fitter but maybe he has a body type where that's not going to happen.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta

Been tried in defence for a decent stretch in the 2's and really didn't do a whole lot to make you think he could make a go of it at the higher level.

Back