• Riley Thilthorpe

• Taylor Walker

Results are only viewable after voting.
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg, tigers
Murph and McHenry being played as small forwards is just excruciating. How many shots on goal will they miss before the coaches finally give up on this dumb experiment?
Last night was the perfect game to bring in Newchurch for a run..

Instead we stuck with a bloke that grabs at his neck and winces everytime someone puts a hard tackle on him.. and who is an absolutely garbage small forward.

Said it weeks ago.. Murph plays in the midfield or he doesnt play at all. He’s not a small forwards a-hole..

But… cant play a young player… you know.. gotta have that “experience”..

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg, tigers
I'd rather put time into the attacking and dangerous player trying to teach him to chase eg Newchurch, than the defensive player trying to teach him to score.

By being dangerous and a goal scoring threat you naturally draw the defensive player closer to you so chasing is that little bit easier, ala Betts and Cameron.

I argue that's the complete difference between Cameron at Adelaide and Cameron at Brisbane.

Instead of being told you're role is just to chase and hold the ball in, he's told to attack and just use your weapons. By default the defenders can't leave him and when the ball gets turned over the defender is right next to him so he can then use his speed to more easily chase them down. He becomes a more effective overall player.

Instead the defenders don't give a s**t about Murphy, McHendry or Rowe and will run off them all day. We just hope one of them gets a high tackle and free kick.
The thing is.. anyone thats watched our SANFL games this year will tell you Newchurch, when he hasnt got the ball, has been chasing and tackling like a madman..

LeftyLuke

Cancelled
Mar 29, 2022
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'd rather put time into the attacking and dangerous player trying to teach him to chase eg Newchurch, than the defensive player trying to teach him to score.

By being dangerous and a goal scoring threat you naturally draw the defensive player closer to you so chasing is that little bit easier, ala Betts and Cameron.

I argue that's the complete difference between Cameron at Adelaide and Cameron at Brisbane.

Instead of being told you're role is just to chase and hold the ball in, he's told to attack and just use your weapons. By default the defenders can't leave him and when the ball gets turned over the defender is right next to him so he can then use his speed to more easily chase them down. He becomes a more effective overall player.

Instead the defenders don't give a s**t about Murphy, McHendry or Rowe and will run off them all day. We just hope one of them gets a high tackle and free kick.
Yeah they need to stop ducking. It's starting to be a problem now. Other teams are getting pissed off with it and umps will stop paying them soon.

Sep 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
As Scorpus said above though, we still took 10 marks inside 50, hit up forwards well just outside 50 and generated 24 scoring shots from 47 entries. There will always be skill errors in a game, it’s just unfortunate our skill errors were in front of goal and it cost us dearly. There is no need to complicate the analysis beyond that really, we couldn’t hit the side of a barn and the Saints couldn’t miss.

Not just misses up forward. What was going through Strachans head with his pass attempt to Jones 30m out from Saints goal? And Jones turnover short pass that gave Saints another goal.

Some tidy up on both ends

The positive is - unlike the majority of games over the past couple of years - we can be genuinely frustrated that we should have beaten a top 6 side. Development is happening, we are getting much close to knowing our core team for next 5 years. We desperately need a Rankine, a centre half back, a classy mid at pick 4 in this years draft and an athletic ruckman. But we are closing in on completing our squad

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

arsene wenger1

Premiership Player
Jul 14, 2009
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Reckon this will be the first draft where we go into with absolutely clear NEEDS

1 x KPD
2 X A Grade mids who are 185+, solid pace, can kick and have good decision making
1 x Ruckman
1x Project KPF

Thought Berry and Soligo looked good from the young brigade.

Dawson worth every cent and should be wining our BnF.
So pretty much everything then

LeftyLuke

Cancelled
Mar 29, 2022
AFL Club
Adelaide
Reckon this will be the first draft where we go into with absolutely clear NEEDS

1 x KPD
2 X A Grade mids who are 185+, solid pace, can kick and have good decision making
1 x Ruckman
1x Project KPF

You trade in KPD's. Drafting them is fraught with danger as we found out with McAsey. We should look at some of Gws tall mids such as Stone and Hopper.

LeftyLuke

Cancelled
Mar 29, 2022
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not just misses up forward. What was going through Strachans head with his pass attempt to Jones 30m out from Saints goal? And Jones turnover short pass that gave Saints another goal.

Some tidy up on both ends

The positive is - unlike the majority of games over the past couple of years - we can be genuinely frustrated that we should have beaten a top 6 side. Development is happening, we are getting much close to knowing our core team for next 5 years. We desperately need a Rankine, a centre half back, a classy mid at pick 4 in this years draft and an athletic ruckman. But we are closing in on completing our squad

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
You gotta remember Strachan has played 5 games. He will quickly learn where to not kick it.

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Which is also Sam Mitchell's thinking on Tom Mitchell .....he just doesn't suit the new Hawks gameplan .....Nicks has always talked speed, speed, and more speed .....hard to see Crouch being a fit, if Hately suddenly breaks out in the same role

Hately tackles ....Crouch doesn't
I’d re phrase that to Hately runs defensively to tackle whereas M Crouch only tackles when ball is in his area

They both have high tackle numbers but only one of them is good defensively overall

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
I’d re phrase that to Hately runs defensively to tackle whereas M Crouch only tackles when ball is in his area

They both have high tackle numbers but only one of them is good defensively overall
Great summary ;)

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't agree with the criticism of our coaching and structure.

We were all over St Kilda in the first half especially, we had more inside 50s, more scoring shots and broke even or won the main midfield stats.

What more can the coach do than get us into a position where we have more inside 50s and more shots at goal?

We lost because we kicked 15 behinds. Half of those we absolutely should have kicked. We do that and we win.
So what are the others watching??? I say they are just Nicks troll hatters for some reason.

LeftyLuke

Cancelled
Mar 29, 2022
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't agree with the criticism of our coaching and structure.

We were all over St Kilda in the first half especially, we had more inside 50s, more scoring shots and broke even or won the main midfield stats.

What more can the coach do than get us into a position where we have more inside 50s and more shots at goal?

We lost because we kicked 15 behinds. Half of those we absolutely should have kicked. We do that and we win.
I think the question is how long do you persist with players that continually don't take their chances? Even Nick's had to admit it's it's not an anomaly and it's a pattern. Our midget brigade of Murphy, Rowe, McHenry isn't getting any more skilled.

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Thilthorpe hasn't shown anything elite yet. Going a bit early there.
You didn't watch his 5 goals on debut were they were from strong contested marks close to goal, crumbs and lead up and set shot from 45m+ on an angle?? Even the first goal he missed last night was a leg foot snap from a crumb 40m out, I consider that elite for a 200cm player who is very athletic and can kick on both side.

lincsPJ

Premiership Player
Apr 18, 2005
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood

1 x KPD
1 x Ruckman
1x Project KPF

Allowing for blokes that don’t come on, 28 picks in the first round should cover that.

LeftyLuke

Cancelled
Mar 29, 2022
AFL Club
Adelaide
You didn't watch his 5 goals on debut were they were from strong contested marks close to goal, crumbs and lead up and set shot from 45m+ on an angle?? Even the first goal he missed last night was a leg foot snap from a crumb 40m out, I consider that elite for a 200cm player who is very athletic and can kick on both side.
Fog kicked 5 as well away in perth. Just saying that he hasn't repeated it and his marking is somewhat concerning.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I rate that as the worst loss of the year.

Played well across every line but forward.

King was always going to kick 5 plus goals.

But we put the ball forward and created enough scoring chances to not just win, but win well.

Kicked ourselves our of the game.

Frustrating

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

forward strategy is a massive problem.

LeftyLuke

Cancelled
Mar 29, 2022
AFL Club
Adelaide
It was how Thilthorpe kicked them show he has elite attribute, Fogarty's goal were just lead up mark and kick straight at goal.
I think Thilthorpe needs to get a lot stronger. One marking contest I remember he was pushed aside with ease.

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think Thilthorpe needs to get a lot stronger. One marking contest I remember he was pushed aside with ease.
And the next marking contest he was strong and tap the ball to his advantage with his right hand to mark the ball and kicked straight. He should have kicked 2 to half time and naturally faded in the 2nd half given he hadn't played in 3 weeks.

Back