Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
When you run there are times when both feet are not touching the ground. Really, to make a proper determination you should look at the video. I've only seen it once but my impression was that Dangerfield didn't jump.
He jumped, but it was more horizontally "at" him, rather than vertically "up" to him. That's why it resulted in a head clash, not shoulder vs head.

He's marginally less soft than Atkins, which still leaves him as one of the softest 20 players to have ever represented the Crows.

His lack of hardness & willingness to put his body on the line is the main reason why he spent so much of 2020 out of the senior team.
Try watching him closer... because you are just digging a bigger hole!

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights
He's marginally less soft than Atkins, which still leaves him as one of the softest 20 players to have ever represented the Crows.

His lack of hardness & willingness to put his body on the line is the main reason why he spent so much of 2020 out of the senior team.
Not sure about this one. Unlike Atkins, Seed has had a fair few injury issues in the past, which could explain your thinking a little. Despite that, whenever I've seen him in the side, he's been willing to tackle, especially when we get 'Confident Seed' (his ability to string games together dictates whether we get the confident or passive version of him). It seems we have the confident version of Seed at this point in time. He's much better defensively than Atkins has been, and will ever be

At this point in his career, he's definitely on the lower end of our best 22 right now, but he performed his role on the weekend quite well I think

LoBu

Club Legend
Dec 4, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
It was 33 to 23 tackles during the 2nd quarter. We set the scene early with more endeavour.

Cats evened things up in the 2nd half... but need to remember we were on our feet with 2 rotations down.
The free kicks we gave away evened things up, interesting that in the Amazon doco, Richmond addressed this and the need for discipline, particularly for 50s.

Geelong were desperately throwing their heads back in the forward line, glad we kept our cool. Doedee a good example.

On Pixel 3 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Will and should get weeks but it wasn't the dirty act that I want to besmirch his reputation with.
No, it wasn't dirty. It was reckless/careless, and Dangerfield failed in his duty of care. But there was not malicious intent. He was genuinely unlucky that the head clash happened.

Crowbots are dead

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just watching again. Interesting that Dangerfield chose such a reckless action straight after the amazing hammel tackle. Reckon he was angry and frustrated. Needs to get at least 2
Weeks

LoBu

Club Legend
Dec 4, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Good. He was clearly annoyed after getting run down and wanted to impose himself straight away.

Commentators were desperate to say "no malice"... well sure, but there was intent to show how tough he was

Yep, nothing worse than being run down, you feel helpless and embarrassed, and he would have been angry.

There was a rush of blood as Dangerfield bumped Kelly, no doubt it was done on anger.

This may have beenwhat would have been just a play 20 years ago, but even back then it would have been careless if not fierce.

MrBarry

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2013
Bristol, United Kingdom
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Manchester City
No, it wasn't dirty. It was reckless/careless, and Dangerfield failed in his duty of care. But there was not malicious intent. He was genuinely unlucky that the head clash happened.

Yes exactly this, it was just a bit unco by Dangerfield in general to be honest - he's never been the 'cleanest' executioner of bumps etc. We saw a few years ago he tried to bump Sloane in the prelim, but just about KO'd himself doing it. Dangerfield is a player I would hate to be running at me full steam, because it's likely that he would run head first into me, rather than with a shoulder.

End of the day, he chose to do it though and should get weeks.

Jun 6, 2010
Viana do Castelo (Portugal)
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yep, nothing worse than being run down, you feel helpless and embarrassed, and he would have been angry.

There was a rush of blood as Dangerfield bumped Kelly, no doubt it was done on anger.

This may have beenwhat would have been just a play 20 years ago, but even back then it would have been careless if not fierce.

I will be surprised if they suspend him for 3 weeks. Yes it was severe but Geelong will appeal. I think 2 at most.

On SM-N981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg, tigers
He was late on the scene. Too late to impinge on the disposal. It was a late hit.
at not one point in the footage i’ve seen does he have eyes for the ball either.. his entire focus is to go the bump.

i think those that say he was angry after being run down and got up with a rush of blood and seeing red are definately correct. first thing he saw was bull with the ball in hand and he ran at him with the intent to put a hard bump on him.

did he mean to knock him out?.. no way.. and certainly not with a head clash, no one thats sane wants to purposely smash their head into something, it *in hurts too much!.

but he did want to inflict a decent bone crunching bump.

and as the commentators said.. he chose to bump and the outcome was that kelly accidentally got knocked out, so danger is responsible for that and has to be sanctioned.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
When you run there are times when both feet are not touching the ground. Really, to make a proper determination you should look at the video. I've only seen it once but my impression was that Dangerfield didn't jump.
This has always bothered me

Not jumping makes the bumps far more severe

It means that you are braced against the ground so can hit harder. Plus not jumping leaves your head in the impact zone so you get KOs like Kelly yesterday.

If you want to do some damage, stay grounded.

If you want to do a spectacular, showy hit where you bounce off each other but do less damage - jump in the air.

Yet somehow jumping in the air is seen as being worse in terms of intent.

Roo didn't jump when he collected Kemp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back