• Izak Rankine

• Harry Schoenberg

• Rory Sloane

• Brodie Smith

• Jake Soligo

• Taylor Walker

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Previous poster is absolutely spot on. Even in Rozee’s worst year, his output was head and shoulders above anything Jones has ever produced. Rozee has scored 20+ goals in every year bar his second and last year averaged 24 touches and a goal a game. That is bordering on elite status.

Jones on the other hand is a below average footballer who is struggling to keep his career alive. Please don’t compare the two… and we were wrong, wrong and more wrong in not trying to land Rozee at the time. Kudos to Port for making it happen… and now I feel dirty.
Who is comparing them? I said I've always saw Rozee as a quality forward after his 1st season but his development did stalled for the next few years and decline from the start of last year and Jones improvement started last year but this was from a very low base.

I think he'll build into the season and get some fairly substantial minutes by the bye. But I doubt the team will give him the minutes in there he thinks he can handle. Especially after he broke down last season.

Probably have to protect him from himself a bit until that tank is where it needs to be
Agree
Wise...

I recall GCS only saying they were willing to trade pick 2 or 3 very late in the trade period but demanded 2 1st rounders with one of them being a very early pick. We also suffered a lot of injuries early in 2018 with Sloane and M.Crouch both ruled out for long periods (that's when Gibbs was playing his best football for us and lead our B&F count) so as expected thought we were still in the premiership contention the following year and even entered the season as one of the premiership favourite.
Where we utterly failed was not getting into that top 7 early..may have cost 8 and 16 for 6. A better offer than port paid..but with 6, 13 and 21, it might have been possie to get pick 3..or we trade up to 5 using 6 and 21.still more than port paid. So 5 and 13 for 3 and a later pick..or just draft rozee or b king with 5 or 6 if it stayed there...so many options would have opened up by getting intp the top 7 early as those pixks hed the value

Where we utterly failed was not getting into that top 7 early..may have cost 8 and 16 for 6. A better offer than port paid..but with 6, 13 and 21, it might have been possie to get pick 3..or we trade up to 5 using 6 and 21.still more than port paid. So 5 and 13 for 3 and a later pick..or just draft rozee or b king with 5 or 6 if it stayed there...so many options would have opened up by getting intp the top 7 early as those pixks hed the value
Yes, I thought at that time we should have and had the better picks to give Fremantle.

You need to have rocks in your head to do that job.
Ill Allow It GIF

I’m late to the party, but I’m not throwing the toys out of the cot for 2023 just yet.

Showed some seriously impressive signs, and even with the second half fade out we would’ve won if half of Rankine (multiple), Dawson, Fogarty and Tex’s shots had sailed through the middle.

Those guys are our best kicks and won’t miss those regularly, nor should Laird and Berry both have such poor games again.

And as 1970crow referenced, I reckon the Giants are actually pretty damn good.

Our forward line looked as dangerous as we’d hoped, plus exciting stuff from Rachele, Rankine, Pedlar and Max.

We’re not winning every game this year and round 1 is just one of 23.

Hydrate, freshen up, get McAdam off and let’s smash some Tigers come Saturday.

100% . That is fact and no amount of whitewshing by some can change that and its one of the worst stuff ups we gave done not acting
The top 4 picks could have been pick 1 in any draft year (I still think M.King would have been the standout pick 1 had he not done his ACL), hence why GCS placed such a premium on pick 2 and 3 and supposedly pick 6-10 were considered even after Smith but he didn't want to leave Victoria (I recall many mock drafts had Rozee at pick 8 so around our selection) but if we were serious about trading to pick 2 and 3, we always needed to get Fremantle's pick. B.King definitely show a lot more promise than when he was drafted, would be pick 3 if you redo the draft after M.King and Walsh.

Last edited:
AFL have said because they did a concussion test it was upgraded to severe impact, where as the Bulldogs didn't do a concussion test on Smith....which was why Pickett got two only. Maybe the AFL need to ask the Bulldogs wtf they were doing not putting Smith through HIA???
It's total bullshit anyway - 4(B) of the 2023 Tribunal guidelines says this:

"Firstly, consideration will be given to the extent of force and in particular, any injury sustained by the Player who was offended against. The absence of injury does not preclude the classification of impact as Severe."

ie. just because injury doesn't occur, doesn't mean they cant rate contact as severe. ie they could have rated it as severe, they just chose not to. Cheating pricks,

So ROB had 5 clearances (most by any of our players) , 3 contested marks (most on the ground), 3rd highest hitout to advantage for the round - although Flynn was number 1, and twice as many possessions as Flynn

Looked like he coped a decent knock to the head which impacted his last quarter - was clearly in discomfort.

Berry and Laird were non existent all day - 3 tackles between them (averaged 19 a game last year). No defensive pressure from either of them and they couldn’t get the ball either

GWS strongest part of their team is their midfield which has a huge amount of experience and class. Coniglio, Kelly, Ward and Green destroyed us and that was the difference. All top ten picks, 3 of them with 150 games plus to their name and they didn’t tire. In the last quarter where we would hope to get a fitness advantage those guys (less Kelly) fave GWS all the field position and they were then able to lock it in as we didn’t have enough legs to create over lap run and spring from our defense. Those listed above - and Toby Green - took the game from us

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Great assessment

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They also deny that Berry will be an elite mid.

i don't see Berry becoming an elite mid. I have definitely adjusted where I perceive his potential ceiling upwards, but it doesn't go that high. Not yet at least.
Our problem with our poor list management is not trading players when they have value, to refresh/renew our list.

Port have Conor Rozee, who we should have got, because they've got competent list management who are prepared to make hard decisions and flicked Wingard (and got Burton in the deal).

We've got multiple old players who are fading away into irrelevance, who we could've traded when they have value, to refresh our list - not keep them and select them when they're falling off a cliff. Smith the most obvious, Laird not far behind.

maybe a touch early on Laird, but we certainly contracted him to finisg this way. Lynch and Sloane two other notables. Brown qualifies too, a,though we destroyed his value playing him into early retirement with his lower leg issues. We've always got the excuse lined up when playing poorly performing senior players. It makes no difference whether we're contending or 'rebuilding AFC style', selection philosophy remains the same.

Lot of hate recently for Takent ID and List Management, but it's not them selecting Berh over TT or plodding Brown as our impact sub. Which is exactly how Nix described him.

Ugly: How did we manage to lose this after being nearly 30 pts up at half time? up against a first game coach, and a team down on numbers and somehow we managed to utensil it up? We've had some bad losses but this one is right up there! We must have cooked the players during the warmup is the only thing I can offer up as a reason. Something needs to change quickly beacuse who ever is calling the shots is way off the mark.

AFL have said because they did a concussion test it was upgraded to severe impact, where as the Bulldogs didn't do a concussion test on Smith....which was why Pickett got two only. Maybe the AFL need to ask the Bulldogs wtf they were doing not putting Smith through HIA???
It's a good thing the AFL has no one to answer or be accountable to because this sort of rubbish is laughable. Pointing out a gross example of negligence as justification just defies belief.

"Well your honour, I couldn't possibly have robbed that service station as I was in another suburb committing a murder at the time."
"Oh great. Carry on then."

Good:
Rachele
Pedlar

Bad:
Nick's coaching and lack of tactical moves
McAdams stupid bump
Losing a game they should never have lost
ROB, Smith, the midfield group.
Laird, was his worst game for the club.
Goal kicking
Sloane fumbling and coughing up goals. If he doesn't improve it's SANFL for the rest of the year. He has no pace and putting him on the wing is idiotic.
Butts, was putrid and likely won't make it.

Ugly
The commentators.

Tex said it’s the hardest game he’s played in due to the heat and humidity (Toby Greene said the same post match). He also mentioned they watered the ground pre game which made it feel ever more humid and might explain why both teams fumbled a bit. Btw, why are they watering the ground pre game when it’s already humid?!

Better to give 48 hours before doing the GBU this week...

Good:
  • The first half. We. dominated, but lacked the killer instinct to put them away.
  • Pedlar and Michalenney showed enough to suggest they'll be good long term AFL players.
  • The Crows have an opportunity to rectify that performance at home against a quality opposition this weekend.

Bad:
  • The comment from Nicks at half time when answering the question about Tom Green. It illustrated the mentality of the group at half time. It was the worst mistake (publicly) from Nicks since the Tom Lynch medical sub debacle.
  • I do think Nicks does a lot right, much of that being the Crows desperation and willingness for the contest, but the Giants showed Adelaide up big time in the "guts and determination" department on Sunday. The Crows aren't good enough to not display 100% desperation and persistence. We, the fans, have been patient enough and anything less this season won't and shouldn't be accepted.

Ugly
  • The free from Tex towards the end of the game. C'mon Tex, you're better than that. We need Walker, Sloane, Laird and Smith performing and leading the way, as they have done so well for the majority of their careers.
  • O'Brien. I'm sorry. He busts his gut and is admirable for that. But, we've seen him do the same thing for 5 struggling AFC seasons and have the prototype modern ruckman/midfielder yet to be given an opportunity as first ruck in an AFL game. Pull the trigger, Nicks. Perhaps you find a diamond and perhaps there's a role O'Brien can play where he is far more effective for shorter bursts.

I’m late to the party, but I’m not throwing the toys out of the cot for 2023 just yet.

Showed some seriously impressive signs, and even with the second half fade out we would’ve won if half of Rankine (multiple), Dawson, Fogarty and Tex’s shots had sailed through the middle.

Those guys are our best kicks and won’t miss those regularly, nor should Laird and Berry both have such poor games again.

And as 1970crow referenced, I reckon the Giants are actually pretty damn good.

Our forward line looked as dangerous as we’d hoped, plus exciting stuff from Rachele, Rankine, Pedlar and Max.

We’re not winning every game this year and round 1 is just one of 23.

Hydrate, freshen up, get McAdam off and let’s smash some Tigers come Saturday.
I only saw the first half and thankfully had to go out, so not as traumatised as some here.

You’re right - heat, humidity, away game, good opposition once they woke up.

Also the season really starts round 2 - but they’d better not stuff it up this week!

Last edited:
Can anyone explain how a bloke playing on the ball can only have two contested possessions for the match?

GWS' top four mids all had double digit CP numbers.

How does taking precaution by assessing the player negatively affect the person who committed the act? Particularly when the outcome was that he did not suffer concussion.

Back