• Izak Rankine

• Harry Schoenberg

• Rory Sloane

• Brodie Smith

• Jake Soligo

• Taylor Walker

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Can anyone explain how a bloke playing on the ball can only have two contested possessions for the match?

GWS' top four mids all had double digit CP numbers.
Have a look at games played and position drafted....

GWS:

Tom Green 46 games pick #10
Coniglio 178 games pick #2
Ward 271 games pick #19
Kelly 177 games pick #2
Toby Greene 192 games pick #11
Finn Callaghan 6 games Pick #3

Adelaide:

Laird 203 games pick #86
Rankine 49 games (1 for us) Pick #3
Rachele 14 games Pick #6
Schoenberg 47 games pick #24
Soligo 17 games Pick #36
Berry 36 games Pick #28

GWS:

Ward 271 games pick #19
Kelly 177 games pick #2

Adelaide:

Laird 203 games pick #86
Rachele 14 games Pick #6
Soligo 17 games Pick #36
Berry 36 games Pick #28
Not sure the point you want to make here?

How do these numbers factor into a player having 2 contested posessions?

Not sure the point you want to make here?

How do these numbers factor into a player having 2 contested posessions?
Especially when Soligo, in just his 17th game was our only mid to crack double figures.

Especially when Soligo, in just his 17th game was our only mid to crack double figures.
Come now, Tyler Brown had 1 disposal a handball, 0 effective disposals, 5 metres gained and 2 clangers according to footywire...that takes a very special kind of player ...;)

Better to give 48 hours before doing the GBU this week...

Good:
  • The first half. We. dominated, but lacked the killer instinct to put them away.
  • Pedlar and Michalenney showed enough to suggest they'll be good long term AFL players.
  • The Crows have an opportunity to rectify that performance at home against a quality opposition this weekend.

Bad:
  • The comment from Nicks at half time when answering the question about Tom Green. It illustrated the mentality of the group at half time. It was the worst mistake (publicly) from Nicks since the Tom Lynch medical sub debacle.
  • I do think Nicks does a lot right, much of that being the Crows desperation and willingness for the contest, but the Giants showed Adelaide up big time in the "guts and determination" department on Sunday. The Crows aren't good enough to not display 100% desperation and persistence. We, the fans, have been patient enough and anything less this season won't and shouldn't be accepted.

Ugly
  • The free from Tex towards the end of the game. C'mon Tex, you're better than that. We need Walker, Sloane, Laird and Smith performing and leading the way, as they have done so well for the majority of their careers.
  • O'Brien. I'm sorry. He busts his gut and is admirable for that. But, we've seen him do the same thing for 5 struggling AFC seasons and have the prototype modern ruckman/midfielder yet to be given an opportunity as first ruck in an AFL game. Pull the trigger, Nicks. Perhaps you find a diamond and perhaps there's a role O'Brien can play where he is far more effective for shorter bursts.
You don't have Rachele and Rankine in the Good......

Come now, Tyler Brown had 1 disposal a handball, 0 effective disposals, 5 metres gained and 2 clangers according to footywire...that takes a very special kind of player ...;)
The only reason I can think of why Callum and Tyler Brown made it onto an AFL list is nepotism

I'm not including the GWS player burrowing his head to attract a high tackle inside their attacking 50 as a free against.

Scorpus
Is there a thread about the McAdam suspension, please?

Everyone is discussing it here

GWS:

Ward 271 games pick #19
Kelly 177 games pick #2

Adelaide:

Laird 203 games pick #86
Rachele 14 games Pick #6
Soligo 17 games Pick #36
Berry 36 games Pick #28

So you think we should have used higher draft picks on midfielders?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ugly: How did we manage to lose this after being nearly 30 pts up at half time? up against a first game coach, and a team down on numbers and somehow we managed to utensil it up?
Probable reasons:
--- Unimaginative Nicks as Head Coach; no flair, no Plan B.
--- a ruckman who gets praised to the hilt for 1/2 a game of footy
--- half-time hubris ("We got this" ==> foot off the pedal)
--- went too hard in the heat, gassed, nothing left after 1/2 time (I'm thinking Burgess could well have warned Nicks and the players about that)
--- rehydration problems

Mostly, not as good as they/we thought they are.

Our problem with our poor list management is not trading players when they have value, to refresh/renew our list.

Port have Conor Rozee, who we should have got, because they've got competent list management who are prepared to make hard decisions and flicked Wingard (and got Burton in the deal).

We've got multiple old players who are fading away into irrelevance, who we could've traded when they have value, to refresh our list - not keep them and select them when they're falling off a cliff. Smith the most obvious, Laird not far behind.

Our problem is there seems to be too close a relationship between the coach and board and our list management when they should have some disconnect. Basically, the same people who brought you the 2016 and the 2017 afl draft, were the stars of the 2018 draft and they are still here now, even after the 2020 draft.

The absolute abysmal effort at talent identification and determination to get the best available talent should have been nails in a few coffins

Tex said it’s the hardest game he’s played in due to the heat and humidity (Toby Greene said the same post match). He also mentioned they watered the ground pre game which made it feel ever more humid and might explain why both teams fumbled a bit. Btw, why are they watering the ground pre game when it’s already humid?!
Someone was dumb enough to think that the evaporation from the watering was going to cool things down :rolleyes::drunk:, probably, when all it actually did was make it more humid.
Problem with high humidity is it prevents sweat from evaporating and naturally cooling the players down.

So you think we should have used higher draft picks on midfielders?
We only received high draft picks in the current rebuild which has been the biggest in our history with pick 7 as our highest draft pick previously. If Holland didn't do his ACL then I have no doubt we would have use pick 1 on him and we used our other high pick 6 on a midfielder, as for the other pick 6, GWS wouldn't have the pick swap which allow us to get Pedlar the following year if we drafted either Young or Serong as Fremantle would have selected Green so they would have had to match the point for pick 7 which would have put them in point deficit.

What ever happened to dour defending? geez our defense is polite at times. And whoever down there thinks that handballing back into the oppo goal square is an option under any circumstance needs to be shot out of a cannon at the sun!

The first half. We. dominated, but lacked the killer instinct to put them away.
Lacked the skill-er instinct ... :sneaky:
  • I do think Nicks does a lot right, much of that being the Crows desperation and willingness for the contest, but the Giants showed Adelaide up big time in the "guts and determination" department on Sunday. The Crows aren't good enough to not display 100% desperation and persistence. We, the fans, have been patient enough and anything less this season won't and shouldn't be accepted.
Good post, but I didn't see a lot of "desperation and willingness for the contest" OR "guts and determination" in the second half, did you?
O'Brien. I'm sorry. He busts his gut and is admirable for that. But, we've seen him do the same thing for 5 struggling AFC seasons and have the prototype modern ruckman/midfielder yet to be given an opportunity as first ruck in an AFL game. Pull the trigger, Nicks. Perhaps you find a diamond and perhaps there's a role O'Brien can play where he is far more effective for shorter bursts.
Possible solution:
Drop Himmelberg for Strachan (who cannot be any worse then EH) and rotate Strachan and RoB between ruck and when not rucking as a floater one kick behind the play (both can mark), or even at CHB (both are mobile).
If Thilthorpe is in the SANFL to learn ruck craft, he and Himmelberg can ruck there.

We only received high draft picks in the current rebuild which has been the biggest in our history with pick 7 as our highest draft pick previously. If Holland didn't do his ACL then I have no doubt we would have use pick 1 on him and we used our other high pick 6 on a midfielder, as for the other pick 6, GWS wouldn't have the pick swap which allow us to get Pedlar the following year if we drafted either Young or Serong as Fremantle would have selected Green so they would have had to match the point for pick 7 which would have put them in point deficit.

So we used that pick on a guy below Himmelberg in the pecking order after 3 years on our list and another pick 6 on a flaky KPD. We got one right (hooray) with Rachelle.

We can't sugar coat it, Hamish is s**t at talent identification of elite talent

What ever happened to dour defending? geez our defense is polite at times.
... and even when a Crow flattens a bloke with a hip'n'shoulder (McAdam had feet on ground, T-boned Wehr and I love-love-loved it :hearteyes:) he gets pilloried by the AFL.
Have the Crows defenders become "polite" or are they confused by the new "be-nice" rules and too scared to be tough and hard at the ball, and the player with the ball?
Fwiw, I agree totally with the new rules about head-high contact (although not applied to Teflon-Cotchin in the 2017 Prelim :rolleyes::poo:) and sling tackles, but McAdam's hit was not head high.

So we used that pick on a guy below Himmelberg in the pecking order after 3 years on our list and another pick 6 on a flaky KPD. We got one right (hooray) with Rachelle.

We can't sugar coat it, Hamish is s**t at talent identification of elite talent
I've explain why GWS and us did the pick swap otherwise yes it's puzzling why McAsey was pick 6, we could have traded down to pick 10 to get him using our initial pick 4 if he was our target and Thilthorpe has already shown he has the talent in the AFL, I wouldn't be concern about him at all.

Last edited:
... and even when a Crow flattens a bloke with a hip'n'shoulder (McAdam had feet on ground, T-boned Wehr and I love-love-loved it :hearteyes:) he gets pilloried by the AFL.
Have the Crows defenders become "polite" or are they confused by the new "be-nice" rules and too scared to be tough and hard at the ball, and the player with the ball?
Fwiw, I agree totally with the new rules about head-high contact (although not applied to Teflon-Cotchin in the 2017 Prelim :rolleyes::poo:) and sling tackles, but McAdam's hit was not head high.
They should just watch 97 GF replays over and over again and do what Brett James did after qtr time. None shall pass!

Back