Review Good/Bad/Ugly v Brisbane - Rd 18, 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Im unsure what the verdict will be on Doedee's hit. He does lower his centre of gravity ever so slightly. however he was already low in picking up the ball. Was a pretty filthy hit. If anything, the stiff arm round the back is a perfect indication of what Gardiner was trying to do, and that was hurt Doedee. You don't go into a tackle like that, trying to whack someone with your bicep... As I said, the intention is clear for me, but watch them say Doedee ducked and thus no penalty (would be a different story if it was Selwood though).

The murphy was terrible though. How many times have we seen Keath and Kelly be pinged for free kicks, because they have their back turned to the ball and make contact with player attempting to mark?!? And yet Cutler comes flying in, has absolutely no eyes for the ball whatsoever and only for the player, raises the shoulder towards murphy and completely cleans him.

how the **** that WASN'T a free kick is absolutely diabolical. Normally the umps are so hot on front on contact, and yet here is a player going charging in with his back to the ball, makes contact, and that contact is both high and medumimpact, and yet nothing whatsoever.....

Cutler should absolutely get weeks. He's left the ground, he has no intention of getting the ball and has made high contact which has put a player out of the game. Was probably more so dumb, than a dirty hit like Gardiner's, but should definitely get weeks imo.

It's an absolute s**t show.

And you notice it’s not even being mentioned on any of the AFL highlights shows, instead they’re showing Hawkings slapping the Melb player on the stomach and speculating if he’s in trouble. VFL all day long. It’s a Brisbane v Adelaide game so who gives a s**t.

Not really, their down year was more like ours, internal stuff that seemed to derail the club for that year. Then boy oh boy

That will do for me then. A one year tanking or maybe we call it a blip.

Gov had 9 touches ??? Wow I would have thought 5 max.

Shows that he had a very good 2nd half. Took some great marks as well. Some very good defensive pressure efforts as well. Not a bad effort for a guy who has been out for 3 months and rushed straight back in. As usual his goal kicking lets him down. The good thing is he seems to kick the clutch goals.

2 games for Cutler re hit on Murphy
Fine for McStay re hit on Brown
Fine for Barrett re hit on Laird
Hit on Doedee not cited.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought it was about Geelong? Hawks got a mention as an add on I thought
I saw Hawks - get Hawks - so went with it.

So had a closer look at Geelong and their draft picks in the preceding 10 years or so to their 2007/2009/2011 premiership lists - seems good drafting (& trading) was probably more significant than F-S picks even if they were able to draft GAblett and THawkins with picks #40 and #41, respectively.

2007(1st) HTaylor(#17), also had FS pick
2006(10th) JSelwood(#7), Hawkins(#41 FS)
2005(5th) Varcoe(#15), no F-S
2004(4th) also had FS pick
2003(12th) also had FS pick
2002(9th) Mackie(#7) Lonergan(#23)
2001(12th) GAblett(#40 FS) Bartel(#8) JKelly(#17 Melb trade), SJohnson(#24)
2000(7th) no F-S
1999(11th) JCorey(#8) PChapman(#31 Carl trade) CLing(#38) CEnright(#47 North trade) no F-S
1998 THarley(Port trade), JMooney(Syd trade), no F-S

I saw Hawks - get Hawks - so went with it.

So had a closer look at Geelong and their draft picks in the preceding 10 years or so to their 2007/2009/2011 premiership lists - seems good drafting (& trading) was probably more significant than F-S picks even if they were able to draft GAblett and THawkins with picks #40 and #41, respectively.

2007(1st) HTaylor(#17), also had FS pick
2006(10th) JSelwood(#7), Hawkins(#41 FS)
2005(5th) Varcoe(#15), no F-S
2004(4th) also had FS pick
2003(12th) also had FS pick
2002(9th) Mackie(#7) Lonergan(#23)
2001(12th) GAblett(#40 FS) Bartel(#8) JKelly(#17 Melb trade), SJohnson(#24)
2000(7th) no F-S
1999(11th) JCorey(#8) PChapman(#31 Carl trade) CLing(#38) CEnright(#47 North trade) no F-S
1998 THarley(Port trade), JMooney(Syd trade), no F-S
The 1999 & 2001 drafts were the key to their premiership success. They did amazingly well 2 drafts in 3 years.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Mmm I was guessing there. Thought they must have had a down year to get some class. I’m sure Hawks did.
Which is all we really need.
We need some high end class. If we can play well with our team loaded with 2nd and 3rd rounders and rookie list guys half a dozen high 1st rounders might be just that edge we’re missing.

The Hawks definitely did. Roughhead, Franklin, Lewis, Ellis, Dowler and Thorp

I think Gibbs will end up spending a decent chunk of time in the forward line. He's actually a good sized target leads really well at the ball. We burned him on multiple occasions over the last 2 weeks by bombing it in long.
With Tex returning to the forward line, it would be good to let Gibbs loose on a wing.

Good call, probably one of the more mobile 6'4" guys going around. And that wingspan means his tackle radius is enormous!
He's actually 190cm which is 6'3" but yeah me moves really well in close. Not so good in open play as he really isn't that fast.

I reckon he moves like a cat in close as he sneaks up and hits them when they least expect it and from angles they aren't expecting. I think he also reads the action in close really well and doesn't necessarily tackle the first player in the chain. He can see where the ball will end up and sets up to tackle that person hard and unexpectedly.

I think he's also benefited from relative obscurity, which is exactly what we need. I mentioned much earlier on in this thread that we needed those second tier players to stand up and spread the load for us to be a chance and singled out Greenwood as one the key players I wanted to see do this. I'm glad he did.

I think he's probably more suited to spending more time in the forward line and shorter stints on ball. Long stints in the midfield have exposed some of his weakness and lessons his impact on the game. I much prefer him used like he was against Brisbane. He can definitely still have impact in the midfield but we need to pick the right time in a game, ie when the pace has gone out of the game.

I think this change in our midfield rotations have caught some teams off guard. I also noticed that our clearances have been way down, yet we are winning games. This is probably a reflection of our concious shift towards a high pressure and fast movement game plan, which again, probably isn't conducive to Greenwood spending long periods in midfield.

Two games for Cutler but the cheating blind maggots out there couldn't even award a free kick.

Hope they get a please explain especially that eagle eyed w***er that can determine if a mark is touched from 60m away.

Shockingly Roos actually bought that up during on the couch.

I actually like Greenwood spending more time in the forward line. Roo mentioned that he's 6'4" on the weekend, and when he said that I took notice at just how incredible his reach is. His 4th goal he literally marked the ball over the hands of the man in front! That's the kind of thing a full grown adult does to a 14 year old!

I still think he has incredibly unique tools as a mid, but seeing him clunk 5 or 6 forward 50 marks per game would probably be worth 10-12 midfield disposals in terms of value to the team!
He is probably 6"4 in wingspan as well.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

He's actually 190cm which is 6'3" but yeah me moves really well in close. Not so good in open play as he really isn't that fast.

I reckon he moves like a cat in close as he sneaks up and hits them when they least expect it and from angles they aren't expecting. I think he also reads the action in close really well and doesn't necessarily tackle the first player in the chain. He can see where the ball will end up and sets up to tackle that person hard and unexpectedly.

I think he's also benefited from relative obscurity, which is exactly what we need. I mentioned much earlier on in this thread that we needed those second tier players to stand up and spread the load for us to be a chance and singled out Greenwood as one the key players I wanted to see do this. I'm glad he did.

I think he's probably more suited to spending more time in the forward line and shorter stints on ball. Long stints in the midfield have exposed some of his weakness and lessons his impact on the game. I much prefer him used like he was against Brisbane. He can definitely still have impact in the midfield but we need to pick the right time in a game, ie when the pace has gone out of the game.

I think this change in our midfield rotations have caught some teams off guard. I also noticed that our clearances have been way down, yet we are winning games. This is probably a reflection of our concious shift towards a high pressure and fast movement game plan, which again, probably isn't conducive to Greenwood spending long periods in midfield.

Nice post, BM. Summed Greenwood up pretty well.

If McGovern does really want to leave I could see Hugh playing that role pretty well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back