Review Good/Bad/Ugly v Brisbane - Rd 18, 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

He's actually 190cm which is 6'3" but yeah me moves really well in close. Not so good in open play as he really isn't that fast.

I reckon he moves like a cat in close as he sneaks up and hits them when they least expect it and from angles they aren't expecting. I think he also reads the action in close really well and doesn't necessarily tackle the first player in the chain. He can see where the ball will end up and sets up to tackle that person hard and unexpectedly.

I think he's also benefited from relative obscurity, which is exactly what we need. I mentioned much earlier on in this thread that we needed those second tier players to stand up and spread the load for us to be a chance and singled out Greenwood as one the key players I wanted to see do this. I'm glad he did.

I think he's probably more suited to spending more time in the forward line and shorter stints on ball. Long stints in the midfield have exposed some of his weakness and lessons his impact on the game. I much prefer him used like he was against Brisbane. He can definitely still have impact in the midfield but we need to pick the right time in a game, ie when the pace has gone out of the game.

I think this change in our midfield rotations have caught some teams off guard. I also noticed that our clearances have been way down, yet we are winning games. This is probably a reflection of our concious shift towards a high pressure and fast movement game plan, which again, probably isn't conducive to Greenwood spending long periods in midfield.
Outstanding analysis - well done !

In my opinion we can't afford Greenwood CEY and Gibbs in same side so we need to trade CEY

They don't transition well enough defensively when ball leaves their area in midfield even though they all defend well at stoppages pre clearance

Noticed the following statement in the stats that matter thing on the crows website prior to brisbane game:

Dayne Zorko is second in the AFL for marks with 114, while Hugh Greenwood is fifth with 105.

Made a mental note of it, because I don't recall greenwood picking up many (any?) el cheapo marks in the back line on the switch etc. Most of his marks are good grabs, I noticed he was getting them, just had no idea he was taking so many. So when he's fifth in the AFL that's a pretty good effort. So wasn't surprised he was able to dominate when moved up forward.

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2018-07-19/stats-that-matter-round-18

Noticed the following statement in the stats that matter thing on the crows website prior to brisbane game:

Dayne Zorko is second in the AFL for marks with 114, while Hugh Greenwood is fifth with 105.

Made a mental note of it, because I don't recall greenwood picking up many (any?) el cheapo marks in the back line on the switch etc. Most of his marks are good grabs, I noticed he was getting them, just had no idea he was taking so many. So when he's fifth in the AFL that's a pretty good effort. So wasn't surprised he was able to dominate when moved up forward.

There's something odd about that article and the quoted stats - Hugh's stats page say he has had 41 marks this year and 37 last year and Zorko has 43 (79 last year)

I think they meant tackles, Zorko currently second with 119 and Greenwood 5th with 106 as per AFL app. Neither are anywhere near it for marks.

I think they meant tackles, Zorko currently second with 119 and Greenwood 5th with 106 as per AFL app. Neither are anywhere near it for marks.

Ahh well, can't blame me for that one, I can only go off what I am given. I guess AFL media have to be able to make a mistake here and there. Good effort by greenwood on the tackles as well though then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back