• Darcy Fogarty

• Brodie Smith

• Lachie Sholl

• Tom Doedee

• Jordon Butts

• Reilly O'Brien

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

This is absolute garbage from the AFL, of course it was a free, just like the hit by Brodie Mihocek earlier in the game on Jordan Butts, and it was also called play on, but no mention at all of this and many other numerous umpiring errors that were in Collingwood's favour, and in the Brodie versus Jordan case both players did not have their eyes on the ball!

It really is beyond a joke how much the AFL kowtows to the big Melbourne Clubs to everyone else's expense, one day they will cook the goose, just a matter of when.

Reminds me of when Melbourne somehow got an apology from the AFL about the non-deliberate call when we beat them by a point in 2021.

Which conveniently ignored the fact that intention is an element that is necessary to be taken into account (so is a subjective assessment which is better suited to the umpires on the ground rather than on video), and also ignored that THE LAST PLAYER TO TOUCH THE BALL WAS A MELBOURNE PLAYER.

Nah I just read above that Champion Data stats are meaningless......

*Only when it suits their agenda of course...
Cmon grow up, I’ve been reading forum for a while and I like a number of your posts but when you get challenged damn do you salty. You called out champion data averages to back ROB, someone challenged it, you complained. I decided to do 5 mins of research and basic analysis/ deep dive and get the above response. Then I get ROB smashes straughn in there 1:1 ruck… I bet he did against frampton at training last year also… but last game 21% hit to advantage… no wonder people don’t want to post on this forum.

My point has been always our problem is he can’t adapt and hits to same spot and this of course means we are an easy team to play against. I can only offer alternatives to what is being put on the ground right now… so it’s either play someone else and see if there is a change or get ROB to change his style… I don’t know maybe sometimes just smash it forward when he’s rucking by himself, hit wider into space anything but the same same as we don’t have any other options.

The champion data guy giving us a massive tick at the moment.
Said he’d pick us as the profile you’d want stats wise for certain markers.
Also said Nick Murray is nearly double the average win rate in a one on one contest.
Has only lost 2 from his last 20 contests and won 9 of them.
Wonder if Nick Murray is 2nd rated key after Sam Taylor in contests ? I’d say most likely . That’s pretty rare air !

Also said Nick Murray is nearly double the average win rate in a one on one contest.
This season really feels like a lost opportunity at this point , can’t lose sight of the medium term though

They don't need to address it. Rachele is not some mid tier scrub who needs to know his place. We want him to have the balls to take the game on and try to make plays. Especially when the game is on the line because his talent is going to bail us out a whole lot more than the plays he'll fluff. This is just a shrug and move on moment. Nothing more.

The only reason to make a deal about it is if Dawson was the one streaming past.

I’m loving Rachele getting into the midfield but he has to know when he needs to look for a better option. He will learn over time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It wasn't just that we missed shots of goal that hurt

We got ourselves in good attacking positions quite a few times coming through the middle or off half back but ended up turning it over or squandering it somehow

Whether that was Collingwood's set up / pressure I'm not sure but it appeared that we got a bit spooked by the occasion.

All of a sudden we were flying against the premiership favourites, a win to take us equal top. Started second guessing ourselves a bit, taking the wrong option, being too cute with the football. Stopped playing on instinct with the freedom we'd displayed previously

We got ourselves in good attacking positions quite a few times coming through the middle or off half back but ended up turning it over or squandering it somehow

Whether that was Collingwood's set up / pressure I'm not sure but it appeared that we got a bit spooked by the occasion.

All of a sudden we were flying against the premiership favourites, a win to take us equal top. Started second guessing ourselves a bit, taking the wrong option, being too cute with the football. Stopped playing on instinct with the freedom we'd displayed previously
We made so many errors going forward , there were times when we had 4 to 3 I50 and couldn’t get it to the free bloke

Just as frustrating as the misses

Got a link to that, please?

Flaw? Arrogance. They will think they can recover from any deficit.
I dunno.
Right now, they have good reason to think they can, because they do.

I think their offence is suspect and might not hold up against Geelong/Melbourne in a GF.
The Crows held them to 8.11/59 which is not often a winning total (only 5.5 to 3/4 time which is outstanding).

Instead of 7.16, if we had kicked only 10.13 (which was very achievable), everyone would be praising our solid win, led all day etc etc.
But, no :cry:.

We definitely stopped running to make hit up targets and work the Collingwood defence around in the last quarter, possibly earlier than that as well. Static mids and forwards waving their arms for no good reason, followed by long balls to ineffective tall forwards.

Good:
  • Our 4 best on, in order:
    • Dawson great game, BOG for Crows
    • Thilthorpe 2nd best for mine, 1 mistake all game (the behind) and followed each of his strong marks with good to great disposal
    • O'Brien needed to dominate marks and did. I suck at judging ruckman hitouts so not getting involved there.
    • Rankine was clean and damaging despite limited possession & despite "that" miss
  • Jones, Doedee, Laird & Smith in the next tier down from these 4 and all had good to really good games
  • Most of the Defense was good - Murray, Michaelanney, Smith, Doedee, Hinge (despite bad Q2)
  • EDIT: should mention Sholl who was quite impactful despite a bafflingly low 63% Time on Ground. Wonder why that is??
Bad:
  • Butts again not great. Not keeping up with how good his other defender teammates were.
  • Forwards were bad - Walker, Fogarty, Pedlar, Murphy, Rachele disappointing not 1 of them won the game for us. Walker especially looked bad, and should be rested v Cats.
Ugly:
  • Schoenberg, Milera - Both should be out this week
  • Subbing off Soligo

Last edited:
  • EDIT: should mention Sholl who was quite impactful despite a bafflingly low 63% Time on Ground. Wonder why that is??

Great pickup! I wonder if that was a deliberate strategy considering Sholl tends to fade after a block of 7-12 games?

Had me thinking about rotations:

Collingwood Players between 75% - 90% game time - 16
Adelaide Players between 75% - 90% game time - 11

Is that why Collingwood are so good at closing out last quarters? Are they superior at managing their rotations and keeping the squad fresh.

Sholl hit his knee on the post when he slid into it when Mihocek soccered that goal in the 3rd quarter. Hobbled a bit and was off for quite a bit of time soon after. May have affected his overall TOG. Makes the sub call more baffling too

I don’t know if this had been mentioned before, as I’m trying to think of the reason(s) why our general kicking was poor on the night. The poor kicking was much more noticeable than the other 6 games.

I think a possible reason might be the players weren’t bracing for semi-wet weather, as there was earlier rain and the ground/ball might be slightly slippery. Maybe barely noticed during the game, but if the ball is not 100% dry, this may cause the ball drop to be slightly off-line, as well as coming off the boot slightly off-line. I do recall many short dinky, cute kicks which often became turnovers. I also believe the Pies did much less of those cutesy kicks.

We definitely stopped running to make hit up targets and work the Collingwood defence around in the last quarter, possibly earlier than that as well. Static mids and forwards waving their arms for no good reason, followed by long balls to ineffective tall forwards.
The effort decision making and execution dropped off to completely unacceptable levels, an all too familiar story.

Back