Patrick cripps 5

Luke hodge has
Dawson as the no 1 captain this year
Darcy Moore 2
Toby Greene 3
Marcus Bontempelli 4
Patrick cripps 5
Jonas stiff.

We made so many errors going forward , there were times when we had 4 to 3 I50 and couldn’t get it to the free bloke

Just as frustrating as the misses
We seemed to play as though we were a lot more rushed than other games. Collingwood's pressure was pretty good but our composure was completely off even from Dawson. The lack of composure affected our kicking and lack of handball at times to take the pressure off.

I also noticed that in other games we were playing as a team whereas the pies game the players started playing as though they were the only player on the field. Walker's non give to the running Pedlar and instead goes for the hero kick which he had practically no chance of goaling, Fogarty's awful kick to Walker who was in the goal square. Not sure if it was a pass or whether he was going for goal but it was an awful kick and a loss of 5 points. Rankine's miss from 10 metres out, Rachele's two bad misses. A kick of his quality should have nailed at least one. The forwards performance, Butts gifting of two goals and the poor performance of Nicks in the last cost us 4 points.

Walker also needs to be careful with his attitude out there. When he is getting soundly beaten he can become belligerent which can rub off on the team as he still has a big impact on others. I'm not sure if the contract is weighing on him because from memory he went through a similar phase last year. He just needs to forget about that and play his role. I agree that Walker could have been subbed off and Thilthorpe moved to full forward. The move by Nicks of Soligo off (unless he was injured) was just wrong. Not only that but Schoenberg was the wrong player to be sub. I think the only sub Nicks has nailed this year was Jones.

We seemed to play as though we were a lot more rushed than other games. Collingwood's pressure was pretty good but our composure was completely off even from Dawson. The lack of composure affected our kicking and lack of handball at times to take the pressure off.

I also noticed that in other games we were playing as a team whereas the pies game the players started playing as though they were the only player on the field. Walker's non give to the running Pedlar and instead goes for the hero kick which he had practically no chance of goaling, Fogarty's awful kick to Walker who was in the goal square. Not sure if it was a pass or whether he was going for foal but it was an awful kick and a loss of 5 points. Rankine's miss from 10 metres out, Rachele's two bad misses. A kick of his quality should have nailed at least one. The forwards performance, Butts gifting of two goals and the poor performance of Nicks in the last cost us 4 points.

Walker also needs to be careful with his attitude out there. When he is getting soundly beaten he can become belligerent which can rub off on the team as he still has a big impact on others. I'm not sure if the contract is weighing on him because from memory he went through a similar phase last year. He just needs to forget about that and play his role. I agree that Walker could have been subbed off and Thilthorpe moved to full forward. The move by Nicks of Soligo off (unless he was injured) was just wrong. Not only that but Schoenberg was the wrong player to be sub. I think the only sub Nicks had nailed this year was Jones.
Some good points

It was a shame it started raining as Thilthorpe deep would have been dangerous

Also Fog looks a bit injured which made it hard to push him up higher

Yep lots of butchered chances - either the kick at goal or the kick before that

So in the Good Column. Riley Thilthorpe's 6 contested marks on the weekend bump him up to equal 3rd in the AFL for contested marks.

And he's done it in 1 less game then the other players.

He's now chasing down the twin towers of Carlton.

Gonna be a fun stat to track this season
That’s massive.
Just wait till he hits his straps.
Contested marker, awesome with ground ball and an elite runner.

Sorry I have not read the last few pages so not sure if this was posted

First time we get a good run from the upms and the entire vic media it seems is up in arms about it highlighting the bad calls. I don't remember them affording us that luxury in the 2017 GF where the umps cost us the game in the first half

So they can shut the **** up now
We did get a good run, but there were still some hideous non calls that went against us, in particular, two blatant HTBs coming out of the centre that were ignored and from which Collingwood goaled.

Last edited:
NGL I'm kinda getting mad at Thilthorpe only getting 66% ToG now, given how highly I rated his game.

Should have been plonked in the forward line, sub off Walker and given more game time. He was marking everything, which our other forwards couldn't do.
Yep called for that in last weeks changes thread. With Fogarty and Walker being used as decoys as they would get owned by the Pies intercept game.

I'm surprised at your high rating of Rankine though, I thought he was too often not in a position to get dangerous at the feet of the pack. His outside game was ok, but outside doesnt get it done against the Pies defense when the heat is on.

Good:
  • Our 4 best on, in order:
    • Dawson great game, BOG for Crows
    • Thilthorpe 2nd best for mine, 1 mistake all game (the behind) and followed each of his strong marks with good to great disposal
    • O'Brien needed to dominate marks and did. I suck at judging ruckman hitouts so not getting involved there.
    • Rankine was clean and damaging despite limited possession & despite "that" miss
  • Jones, Doedee, Laird & Smith in the next tier down from these 4 and all had good to really good games
  • Most of the Defense was good - Murray, Michaelanney, Smith, Doedee, Hinge (despite bad Q2)
  • EDIT: should mention Sholl who was quite impactful despite a bafflingly low 63% Time on Ground. Wonder why that is??
Bad:
  • Butts again not great. Not keeping up with how good his other defender teammates were.
  • Forwards were bad - Walker, Fogarty, Pedlar, Murphy, Rachele disappointing not 1 of them won the game for us. Walker especially looked bad, and should be rested v Cats.
Ugly:
  • Schoenberg, Milera - Both should be out this week
  • Subbing off Soligo
Gees a bit tough on Pedlar, 2.2 from 13 touches with 7 score involvements given the role he plays is a good game.

Sholl hit his knee on the post when he slid into it when Mihocek soccered that goal in the 3rd quarter. Hobbled a bit and was off for quite a bit of time soon after. May have affected his overall TOG. Makes the sub call more baffling too
Jones would have been a good candidate as well. Though that’s a hindsight call. 2 touches after kicking the first goal in the last.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gees a bit tough on Pedlar, 2.2 from 13 touches with 7 score involvements given the role he plays is a good game.
I thought he was good.

Though I didn’t like his punch out of a stoppage in the defensive 50 late in the last. It went into open space and led to nobles goal.

I thought he was good.

Though I didn’t like his punch out of a stoppage in the defensive 50 late in the last. It went into open space and led to nobles goal.
He did that earlier too when we were at half forward

Just rushes a bit sometimes

Hopefully those instances will be smoothed out by the coaches

So in the Good Column. Riley Thilthorpe's 6 contested marks on the weekend bump him up to equal 3rd in the AFL for contested marks.

Probably closer to two games less, don't forget our mastermind coaching panel couldn't fit him in our best 22 for the first two rounds.

He was the sub in round 2, although he came on in the first quarter he barely played half the game (68mins of 128min)

Some good points

It was a shame it started raining as Thilthorpe deep would have been dangerous

Also Fog looks a bit injured which made it hard to push him up higher

Yep lots of butchered chances - either the kick at goal or the kick before that
In my view we missed a trick by not going with a smaller set up when it got wet. I also think we could have used Murray as a change up to cause some havoc. In my view we needed to push our talls up the ground and let Rankine, Pedlar and Rachele go to work at ground level.

So in the Good Column. Riley Thilthorpe's 6 contested marks on the weekend bumps him up to equal 3rd in the AFL for contested marks.

Genuinely incredible that people are still bagging this kid - top 3 contested marks in the comp as a 3rd year tall is insane.

• Most of the Defense was good - Murray, Michaelanney, Smith, Doedee, Hinge (despite bad Q2)
Bad:
  • Butts again not great. Not keeping up with how good his other defender teammates were.
Butts is the incumbent and no-one in the SANFL is demanding by performance and/or tank to be picked ahead of him.

I'm keen on Keane (;)) whose mongrel is obvious. Am really looking forward to his AFL debut, but it looks like he still has a bit to learn and I hope Burgess is on his fitness.
Until he or Worrell force their way in, we're stuck with Butts who is our weakest backline player right now.

People won't like this but Keays could be the best defensive Half forward in the game. Is excellent in this role. From what the commentators were saying he could've had a few goals too, ran off Daicos in the forward line and was free when we were kicking all those points. I would be telling him to stay close to Stewart for the game on the weekend, only 4cm shorter & similar build so should be able to at least put some pressure on him. Although Stewart is likely to man up on one of our talls he peels off
Nice to see nicks has been reading 🤣🤣

Butts is the incumbent and no-one in the SANFL is demanding by performance and/or tank to be picked ahead of him.

I'm keen on Keane (;)) whose mongrel is obvious. Am really looking forward to his AFL debut, but it looks like he still has a bit to learn and I hope Burgess is on his fitness.
Until he or Worrell force their way in, we're stuck with Butts who is our weakest backline player right now.
Funny, I don't see any mongrel at all in Keane. He looks like a percentage player who makes few mistakes and makes every disposal count, but I don't see him initiate contact too much.

Genuinely incredible that people are still bagging this kid - top 3 contested marks in the comp as a 3rd year tall is insane.
Also, I know a lot of people love to compare Riley with Jamarra Ugle Hagen and Luke McDonald at every possible turn.

So for those who are wondering how those 2 key position players from the same draft are fairing comparatively.

RILEY THILTHORPE: 16 Contested Marks. Ranked Equal 3rd. From 5.5 games (2.9/game) Note: As someone correctly pointed out was the sub in his first game
JUH: 7 Contested Marks. Ranked Equal 48th. From 7 games (1/game)
LOGAN McDONALD:5 Contested Marks. Ranked Equal 72nd. From 7 games (0.7/game)

So he's miles ahead in that category.

Yep called for that in last weeks changes thread. With Fogarty and Walker being used as decoys as they would get owned by the Pies intercept game.

I'm surprised at your high rating of Rankine though, I thought he was too often not in a position to get dangerous at the feet of the pack. His outside game was ok, but outside doesnt get it done against the Pies defense when the heat is on.
Swap the Pedlar & Rankine ranking & I think the post is about right.

Back