Analysis Good, Bad, Ugly v Port Adelaide Round 8 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Was happy with our effort, scoreline ended up blowing out in the end but we were definitely not embarrassed.

Seed, Keays, Laird all good. Thought Shoenberg was great tonight too, especially in the first half.

Losing 2 small forwards in the first quarter really set us back as we went in with such a tall forward line. Really only left Rowe as the crumber. Our delivery into the forward line was terrible, just bombed it long every time. We need to lift our eyes and look for the short option.

They're not allowed to go shallow. Nicks wants only deep entries.

1) The marks inside 50 and the uncontested possession stats do tell a story about the gap in class and experience.

2) There was a total failure to address the nature of our entries at half time, when it was clear we couldn’t score with what we were doing.

Effort was good. Spirit was good. I think 1) was the main reason for the result, but 2) shouldn’t be overlooked.

You need to realise there's no issue with those entries, it's strategy. This is Nicks last week. Shallow and short are no good, need to be deep.

ADA8BBA5-F9BE-4611-863B-D4592A13B2D1.png

The scoreboard blew out but it was always on the cards. Hate to mention the umps but we were torched, particularly in the first half.

Those bagging Nicks need to get a grip, the effort was great. You can't be a sh*t coach and generate that level of effort.

Butts as the only KPD needs to stop though. Now. The structure is all wrong down back, McAsey or Murray need to play.

Laird, Butts, Seedsman, Brown, Keays, Harry all good. Riley coulda kicked 3 in 10 minutes in the 3rd, love him.

McPherson confidence is shot, needs a spell. Hamill didnt look right.

Tex was 2020 levels of hot garbage. Dmac and Kelly...yeah they're experienced but we need to move on. And Lycett should cop the Neal-Bullen treatment the grub.

Big improvement on last week, but not sure where the next win comes from but in a rebuild year that shouldnt really matter.

I guess selection and strategy have no input when it comes to determining whether a coach is good. Long deep entries to an overly tall forward line and a tall back short. Mackay in a rebuild whilst Worrell is playing 2s. Unfortunately for you and Nicks, there's a bit more to being a succesful AFL senior coach than getting the guys to put in.

Agree with all of this.

Seedsman stays in due to the level at which he's playing, but needs to keep said level.

We've got the grunt in our midfield future, need the class.

Unfortunately all our senior players are locked in for the year, injury permitting. We won't go any younger than we currently are. Maybe, big maybe, Mackay will find his way out of the 22. But even that is unlikely. Nicks will be feeling heat after 4 straight losses with tough games ahead so he'll be leaning very heavily on continuity and experience.

Injury Update: Showdown 49

Ned McHenry
“Ned came off the ground after suffering a heavy knock to the head. He was diagnosed with concussion and immediately ruled out of the game. He’ll be closely monitored over coming days as per concussion protocols.”

Lachlan Murphy
“Lachie has a suspected syndesmosis injury and he will have scans to determine the full extent of the damage. It is too early to give a timeframe on how long he will be sidelined.”

Riley Thilthorpe
“Riley hyperextended his knee in the third quarter and left the field briefly, however he was able to return to the field and continue playing.”

Is that syndesmosis thing what a heap of players have picked up and is about 8 weeks?

After losing Murphy and Ned early, I thought Rowe really stepped up. 13 touches (at 83%), a goal, 4 score assists, 1 goal assist and 3 tackles inside 50.

Just because Rowe had 3 tackles doesn't mean they were all inside 50. He had 1 inside 50 tackle. Laird/Berry 2, Rowe/Berg 1. Port had 12 to our 6. Who says 4 tall forwards don't impact across ground pressure. Simpletons will just look at tackles and say there's not that much difference. Issue is that for every tackle there'd be numerous pressure acts that didn't quite get to the opponent. We allow opposition to clear our 50 under no pressure and then wonder why their forward line get better delivery. We've got average users by foot kicking under pressure to our guys and they've got better users kicking under less pressure. And often it starts from our own inside 50.

Next 3 games aren't much to look forward to.

Himmelberg offers zero this is a total waste of time and is my only submission for bad or ugly.

The ugly for me is that our list is so sh*t. How did the club allow it to happen? Supporters deserve an explanation and how they are going to fix it.

I watched the sanfl today and Worrell and O'Connor deserve to be playing Nick's.
Totally agree. It’s massively unbalanced. We don’t have anywhere near the number of midfielders that you need on a list . Our midfield depth would have to be the worst in the league

(Log in to remove this ad.)

turned it off close to half time. was making my eyes bleed.
the impression i got was that we were busting a nut and only just hanging in there, whereas port were able to use a little composure and find targets when they had the chance. it was just waiting to be blown wide open, but conditions probablyt prevented that.

Lycett is a dog. Dragging an unconscious player along the ground :O

I was watching it mostly on mute, but i'm guessing the 'prison bars' were mentioned a few times??

I sincerely hope it wasn't Dwayne in the commentary box.

Honest GBU here!

good
Only lost by 49 points, I honestly was expecting min of 10 goals.

bad
We never really owned any part of the game at any stage.

ugly
More injuries to contend with. Oh and Lycetts face. I think he was hit with the ugly stick more than once!
IMO we owned the 2nd quarter, but we leased it out to them to live in.

A decent small forward would've had us level at HT

They're not allowed to go shallow. Nicks wants only deep entries.
Deep doesn't mean long Hail Mary bombs.

Which is what we are doing.

Deep means our forwards start a lead at the goal line and get the ball 20 out.

Our forwards need to be good enough to get to the spots and our muds good enough to hit them.

Both failing and the panic bomb is launched.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

The Good
The $2.70 I got for Port 40+ ... Cha ching.

The Bad
Our woefully shallow midfield. PLEASE can we draft/recruit a tough slick quick skillfull mid x 2.

A quick skim read ...

Kelly was not a problem.

Fog improved.

ROB competed but was ineffective.

We do not have a forward line setup for contested pack marks ... but we keep sending it in as if we have Carey, Ablett Snr and Modra waiting.

We miss the two talls at the back setup. McAsey and Butts will become this over time, might as well start that clock soon.

Moose is struggling.

Sholl is struggling.

Shoenberg showed plenty.

Doedee is becoming my favourite. He's should be tried on the ball, reckon he would thrive.

That concussion on McHenry was rank. The big tough guy should get 4 weeks.

Oh feenix67 you can disagree all you like, but you just need to read Nicks' own words on entries from the previous game. It's sad, but it's true.
Yeah I can read. Your spin is worthy of the Fagan spin award.

If you're going to spend the next 3 years cracking the sads during a rebuild you've been wishing for for years, you're going on ignore.

Sholl will struggle with greater attention, he's not got the strength to push off his opponents. He'll get there but it'll take time.

Yeah I can read. Your spin is worthy of the Fagan spin award.

If you're going to spend the next 3 years cracking the sads during a rebuild you've been wishing for for years, you're going on ignore.
I do feel for him at times, seems like he's incapable of being happy.

We're playing a bunch of kids, and unfortunately DMac, so we're gonna have some very ordinary moments.

Good:

On the surface our midfielders had decent stats.

bad:
In reality they had no impact.

Ugly:
We continue to persist with stat padding no impact midfielders.

Good:

On the surface our midfielders had decent stats.

bad:
In reality they had no impact.

Ugly:
We continue to persist with stat padding no impact midfielders.
Haven't got much choice at this stage, though I'd say Seedsman has been high impact.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back