Analysis Good, Bad, Ugly v Port Adelaide Round 8 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

No polish whatsoever and never looked like winning but can't fault the effort or the way we went with the contest.

Significant improvement in clearances, tackles and one percenters. Up against a Top 4 side we can't expect anything more than that at the moment.

In 8 games so far we've only looked uncompetitive in 1 - the GWS game. Last year I can think of 10 off the top of my head.

Maintain that level, keep getting games into them, but still finish bottom 4 for Horne or Roberts is the goal. We need the Saints, Bombers and Pies to win a few more!

Thilthorpe gonna be special.

Oh and Lycett's tackle was a dog act. Just pure filth.

I can't describe how frustrating it is to watch Port lower the eyes and hit up a target over and over meanwhile we're just "SmaSh iT lOng aNd DeEp!!"

Anyone who has played even a single game at any level in defense knows that that s**t is what you prey for as a defender.

Was happy with our effort, scoreline ended up blowing out in the end but we were definitely not embarrassed.

Seed, Keays, Laird all good. Thought Shoenberg was great tonight too, especially in the first half.

Losing 2 small forwards in the first quarter really set us back as we went in with such a tall forward line. Really only left Rowe as the crumber. Our delivery into the forward line was terrible, just bombed it long every time. We need to lift our eyes and look for the short option.

Outcoached, we need to put extras back at times, why the f do we never do that? Why, why, why? Even moreso when its wet, even moreso when it late in the quarter, even moreso when its a tough game.

Anyway, a three to 5 goal loss was allowable for our youth, 8 goals is getting into poor territory.
We broke even in a lot of the contest, but we gave them easy goals and they didn't give us any.
I don't think they're that great, they'd get a false sense of security with this result.

Seed was great.
Filthy is gonna be great, than f he didnt do his knee.
Himmelberg was serviceable.
Hamill was pretty good, so was kelly.
Laird was great.
Keays seemed quiet.
Luke brown was great.

Fog's getting better but the progress is damn slow, I'll check his stats soon, needs to get into it more but getting more comfortable in traffic.

Man do we need Crouch back.

Pisses me off we gave them so many crowd lifting goals thanks to us leaving them with even numbers and an open forward line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also, this game confirms we were foxing in the preseason. That game was nothing like either of those preseason ones.

1) The marks inside 50 and the uncontested possession stats do tell a story about the gap in class and experience.

2) There was a total failure to address the nature of our entries at half time, when it was clear we couldn’t score with what we were doing.

Effort was good. Spirit was good. I think 1) was the main reason for the result, but 2) shouldn’t be overlooked.

Good
Butts not bad for a 10 gamer.
Laird good but doesnt look up enough when kicking though
Sloane
Rowe better
Shoenberg
Seeds had a good year
Fog - low stats but good presence in the middle

Bad
Injuries
Port. lol they are ass, top teams will wipe them.
Walker - played worse than his epic 2017 GF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back