Review Good bad ugly vs Collingwood - Rd 12, 2021

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide

"Jones is expected to be picked up late in the first round in November’s draft."
Have you seen the date of the articles (hence why Jones was consider a draft bolter) and who is Corey Martin?

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
He was a starting onballer in the U18 AA team, he was well and truly in the mix.

He wouldn't be the first top 10 pick to take a while to mature, and he wouldn't be the first top 10 to bomb

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
I get all that and clearly he’s been liked by all the coaches that can be disputed, so he must be doing something that most of us can’t see?
Can anyone explain it?
It’s not reflected in stats, nor in brownlow votes or best and fairest results.
I can't see it, either.
Maybe it's:
--- nice bloke, quietly spoken
--- trains hard, fit, does what he's told
--- meets all Coaches' off-field requirements
--- helps with the younger blokes
--- knows the Coaches' playbooks thoroughly
and that's been enough for them?

RoweyThePainter

Club Legend
May 17, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
butters and duursma are better and were picked after him.

They may not have looked so good if slotted into a struggling / wooden spoon team. Jones may have had a different experience slotting into a team challenging for top 4.

I don't rate Duursma, fringe player at best. Only gets mentioned a lot as the 3rd or 3 amigo recruits.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
I don't want to sound like a crazy optimist, but watching the game again today there were a lot more positives than negatives.

We absolutely outplayed them for the vast majority of the game. Some extraordinary things happened - some pretty stunning skill errors and other mistakes - but overall I left it feeling okay with where we're going.

I don't mind losing games we clearly should have won to Hawthorn and Collingwood - they might regret those empty wins when draft position is being handed out.

Meanwhile, I like the fact that we play with a level of intensity that isn't typical of rebuilding sides. We're learning a lot currently, and I think it continues to put us in a good spot for 2022 and onwards.
Watching some of our kicking errors again today we seemed to be consciously trying to kick the ball lower rather than bombing it in.

Led to some turnovers in indefensible positions (and lost us the match) but the strategy is the right one.

Now just need the right players to execute it.

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Mackay has always been the average, but versatile cover.
This could be it.
Drugs Are Bad Mackay? made the point that we value Mackay over players like Keath and Greenwood, and I'd take either of them over Mackay all day, every day.
Greenwood wanted a longer contract --- seeya.
Mackay accepts a single year without complaint --- you're our man.

Yeah, I still don't get it. Might never.

Watching some of our kicking errors again today we seemed to be consciously trying to kick the ball lower rather than bombing it in.

Led to some turnovers in indefensible positions (and lost us the match) but the strategy is the right one.

Wonder whether we were kicking it lower due to the breezy conditions.

Unfortunately our kicking skills in general were poor.

Without seeing the stats, I'm confident most of our goals conceded were from a turnover kick.

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide

I'll gladly accept the step back now to take two steps forward later on.

RoweyThePainter

Club Legend
May 17, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Wonder whether we were kicking it lower due to the breezy conditions.

Unfortunately our kicking skills in general were poor.

Without seeing the stats, I'm confident most of our goals conceded were from a turnover kick.

Definitely. I don't recall Coll generating many from defence or a stoppage.

Shaz2012

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide

Exactly. The game plan is a work in progress. We would have learnt a lot this week and I think we tweaked it during the game.

Game plan looks promising. Especially given the quality of our list (which tends to get massively overrated after a win).

Back