Review Good bad ugly vs Collingwood - Rd 12, 2021

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
That’s a dumb rule, would the AFL rather he get tackled and hold it in?
I can understand the successful fend off and then be tackled as holding the ball, but the ball spilled out in the fend/tackle that occurred immediately after he picked up the ball.
If you have time to get your arm up, to fend off the opponent, then you have time to dispose of the ball.

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
To be fair, Mackay was running and looking back over his left shoulder, expecting the ball to come to his left (looked like).
The handball went to his right and wrong-footed him. Mackay twisted his body around to his right with his right leg extended forward and, yes, fell over. It looked comical, but try that movement yourself. You'll fall over.
Did he think he has the skill as McLeod to fall away and gather the ball? Given his limited skill, he should have stopped to stable himself.

MarcusP2

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Ah, so the ball got dislodged during that weird tackle?

These are the 2021 laws of the game:

The only way this is holding the ball is if the umpire decides that push constitutes prior opportunity, which is bullshit as it's the same motion that causes the ball to be dislodged.
Or, if it was no prior, but he didn't attempt to dispose of it correctly. If he'd thrown a boot at it while it was falling he might have got some leniency.

Dec 29, 2000
AFL Club
Adelaide
I see everyone on here has turned on Keays already. Its hard when you basically have clones of each other style wise (Keays and Laird) getting the bulk of the ball with very little class/elite ball use around them outside of Seedsman. Keays is a distributor, he will be much better when he can play his natural game of unlocking others. Watched him closely on the weekend and his first instinct seems to be to look for the runner and 9/10 times it wasn't on.

Agreed he needs to find a right foot though. Will go a long way in getting him to an even better level. But dont knock the guy, 10th in the league in disposals at the moment, you cant teach that ability to find the footy.

Everyone knows he is busting his guts out and he gives 100%. You can’t ask for anymore than that. Just wished he had a right foot.

When he retires he can be safe in the knowledge he gave his all. And that you can be satisfied with.

skittlebrew

Premiership Player
Feb 8, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
We supposedly threw $11 million over 7 years at him and his manager admitted that he'd make still make more money staying in Melbourne on a lesser salary.

That was my recollection - so basically we never had a chance. But we threw the house and car keys at him. Not much more we could do.

Dec 14, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Can anyone explain how this was "holding the ball"?

I know the AFL has the following interpretations:

* If a player drops the ball while being tackled / about to be tackled, play-on
* If the ball gets knocked out in an exaggerated fashion during a tackle, holding-the-ball

But there was no real tackle here and the ball was just fumbled.

There has to be some minimum competence expected of the tackler to be holding the ball in a fair sport. This should be play on.

BunjiMac

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Everyone knows he is busting his guts out and he gives 100%. You can’t ask for anymore than that. Just wished he had a right foot.

When he retires he can be safe in the knowledge he gave his all. And that you can be satisfied with.
I don't think people are turning on Keays and they appreciate what he brings to the table, I think people are lamenting the fact that Keays, Laird and Sloane make up our prime midfielders.

This is not their fault and everyone knows they are doing their best and it isn't personal.

It's also not the answer.

These guys have a role to play absolutely but that shuld be as a support cast for impactful midfielders who can hit targets and ultimately change a game.

We saw on the weekend that 1 Pendulbury/Sidebottome possession is worth 10 Keays or Laird possessions.

That is the problem we face and that is a coaching and personnel problem, its not an attack on these 3, who are doing the best they can.

We need class, power and acceleration who are then supported by Laird, Keays and Sloane.

Apr 20, 2004
Regional VIC
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
I’d say that’s the right time. Game on the line. Let’s see what you got kid. Pressure builds diamonds
I do recall Blight doing similar things with the younger players...cant' recall who, exactly...but I know he had one of our youngsters follow an absolute gun at the time all day...either Goodie or Kane Johnson maybe?

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't think people are turning on Keays and they appreciate what he brings to the table, I think people are lamenting the fact that Keays, Laird and Sloane make up our prime midfielders.

This is not their fault and everyone knows they are doing their best and it isn't personal.

It's also not the answer.

These guys have a role to play absolutely but that shuld be as a support cast for impactful midfielders who can hit targets and ultimately change a game.

We saw on the weekend that 1 Pendulbury/Sidebottome possession is worth 10 Keays or Laird possessions.

That is the problem we face and that is a coaching and personnel problem, its not an attack on these 3, who are doing the best they can.

We need class, power and acceleration who are then supported by Laird, Keays and Sloane.
thats why, and i am probably an outlier here, but we should be making trying to get Izak Rankine a huge priority for the end of next year when he is off contract as he has the ability to be that midfielder that is elite with his ball use - it is whether he wants to apply himself and if he could, then he could as close to an Andrew McLeod that there is and would instantly improve that major weakness we have of non elite ball users. To me it is a risk worth taking

Faaarrk

Maybe later
Jul 27, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide

He kicks with his right more than almost any other left footer.
It looked like he had instructions to handball more, he certainly looked for it more than usual.

Back