• Wayne Milera

• Darcy Fogarty

• Brodie Smith

• James Borlase

• Reilly O'Brien

• Mark Keane

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure how you can have Hinge in the bad. A guy that takes the game on in the back half as much as he does is going to have a few clnagers.

Love the kid and would love to see him get a run in the midfield.

Hinge is in my good. He was excellent. Some of his decision making is inexplicable at times.

Every week though he makes a decision or two that isn't a skill error, it's a decision error. Work on some of that stuff and he could be deadset elite knocking on the door of AA.

It's the same with Tex, he is on the balance of everything a sensational player but there is always a weekly brainfade or two.

I'm sure you could argue that most players do this a couple of times but I would suggest most of them would be skill errors rather than judgment - 'right idea, wrong execution' stuff.

I thought I had placed enough nuance in my post for people to see that I wasn't suggesting Hinge had a bad game but clearly not though I have found, quite lamentably, that BigFooty tends to be quite a binary place. Players are either good or bad and they are fixed in those positions (e.g. Sloane came on and was totally fine yesterday yet people still potted him) and we seem unwilling as a collective to discuss strengths and limitations. Oh well.

Sloane is now a liability.
Is my take on his game under the scope.

His first touch from a free almost got Crouch killed by foot.
His second touch he gave to Dawson who was dragging a player out of space and running full tilt in the wrong direction, we had players on the outside free.
Groundball to Smith = ok
Beaten to the ball by oppo and lays the tackle
Give to Fog = ok
Sloane at 6, leaves the exit open and then blocks Dawsons exit.
Sloane at 10, concedes front position
Sloane at 6, gets pantsed by Swallow and gets a lucky tackle when Anderson fumbles.
Kicks long to a contest and it gets intercepted by Ballard.
Brings ball to ground in marking contest and Suns just run around/off him with the pill.

Sloane caught ball watching as Swallow waltzes through the stoppage, leading to a goal to Suns.
1691293451695.png
- Brad Johnson wonders how Swallow got free at the contest.

Sloane at 9, gives to Dawson who drops it, Sloane squares the contest with a tackle.
Groundball to Smith = ok
Sloane with an intercept mark and then misses Keays by foot with a 15m pass.
Sloane at 6, leaves a big hole in the defensive net, Schoenberg brilliant attack on the ball cleans it up.
Groundball to Dawson = ok
Sloane in slow play link up marks and misses by foot to Michelanney who is forced to go long where Suns turn it over.
Sloane left in dust by opponent who marks and Suns goal.
- last 2mins of game now and Suns have given up the hunt
Sloane at 6, clearance kick to Walker
Sloane marks and hits target by foot.

Brisbane will be hoping he plays next week.
It's time to move on.

Sloane is now a liability.
Is my take on his game under the scope.

His first touch from a free almost got Crouch killed by foot.
His second touch he gave to Dawson who was dragging a player out of space and running full tilt in the wrong direction, we had players on the outside free.
Groundball to Smith = ok
Beaten to the ball by oppo and lays the tackle
Give to Fog = ok
Sloane at 6, leaves the exit open and then blocks Dawsons exit.
Sloane at 10, concedes front position
Sloane at 6, gets pantsed by Swallow and gets a lucky tackle when Anderson fumbles.
Kicks long to a contest and it gets intercepted by Ballard.
Brings ball to ground in marking contest and Suns just run around/off him with the pill.

Sloane caught ball watching as Swallow waltzes through the stoppage, leading to a goal to Suns.
View attachment 1766348
- Brad Johnson wonders how Swallow got free at the contest.

Sloane at 9, gives to Dawson who drops it, Sloane squares the contest with a tackle.
Groundball to Smith = ok
Sloane with an intercept mark and then misses Keays by foot with a 15m pass.
Sloane at 6, leaves a big hole in the defensive net, Schoenberg brilliant attack on the ball cleans it up.
Groundball to Dawson = ok
Sloane in slow play link up marks and misses by foot to Michelanney who is forced to go long where Suns turn it over.
Sloane left in dust by opponent who marks and Suns goal.
- last 2mins of game now and Suns have given up the hunt
Sloane at 6, clearance kick to Walker
Sloane marks and hits target by foot.

Brisbane will be hoping he plays next week.
It's time to move on.
Yep, he's cooked. There's no shame in that. It happens to all players and normally around the age of 30. He has done well to get to 33.

Going back to watch the replay with no emotional investment. Because I missed 3 quarters. A few comments apart from the well documented things on the game day thread.

Borlase moves well for his size. Clean hands.

Rachelle: When he got the ball he used it well. Crucial in a scoring chain of posessions. A couplee pf tomes was contesting the ball on the boundary against taller opponents and was able to kill the contest.

Thilthorpe: Mark and kick to Fog for a goal. Good around the ground generally. At a couple of contests, looked like the Suns had double teamed him to try to nullify him. He wasn't beaten in a contest. Good CM in final seconds. Just needs consistency with shots on goal from that distance.

Keayes had a good first term. Seriously, a lot of hate toward him. So far genuine contributor. Has clearly worked on a lot of deficiencies.

Nothing stood out as BAD.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

2nd quarter.

Shoenberg; continues to havee a good game. Delivery to Soligo for his goal was sublime. The potential that all of us saw in his 2nd season (22 games or something) is coming to fruition. 2 games in a row he's looking like a midfield bull who wins possession and not burning the ball after a good win in the contest like he did last year and earlier this year.

Keayes has been good. If he's your whipping boy, at this stage you need to reassess. He's a solid player, playing hus role well now.

Murphy did have a good 1st quarter, so reserved judgement until 2nd. He's been good. Always puts pressure on and he's been composed with the ball. Probably pressure for his spot has taken him to the next level. Eventually, he'll be depth, but he's not getting dropped for the Brisbane game.

Thilthorpe is always putting pressure on. It will click like it has with Schoenberg. He doesn't get beaten. Needs confidence.

Jones continues to show that he has gotten it together.

Michalhenney; I saw this and wanted to look at the replay.... He runs hard and chases at pace to influence the delivery of a kick. I'm impressed. Covers distance at pace.
Screenshot_20230806_083506_AFL.jpg Screenshot_20230806_083540_AFL.jpg

Gee Worell loves a scrap, he’s not mouthy just shows the mouth guard and gets in there.
Thrives on it doesn't he, lol. Any opportunity to escalate things to a scrap he'll take it. Other players go back at him thinking he's young and inexperienced and they can intimidate him and he just laughs and plays footy.

Ball useage and decision making after qtr time was atrocious with the usual suspects coughing up at crucial times.

Just lucky we weren't punished more severely.

We seemed to win enough ball but just wasted it.

The field kicking skills of Gold Coast were far superior a d threatened to take the game over.

Lucky to win really with plenty of work to do.
Gold Coasts kicking and skills in q1 and q4 were beyond atrocious and cost them the game. Our skills were fine apart from f50 entries in q2 and 3 where we reverted to a bomb it long to a pack game plan for some reason. Plus goal kicking in q3

3rd quarter. Suns brought the preeasure. We were quite good in the contest but poor finishing. Definitely, composure when it matters is something we need to work on.

No one standing out as poor in the contested work. But looking like both sides feeling the intensity of the game.

Looked like they started beef with the inexperienced defenders. Keane, Worrell and Michalanney. They boys were not intimidated and stood up to them. Looks like the same "intimidate the kids" strategy that got the better of Rachelle. They weathered it well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A good solid win, though was a very Adelaide 2023 styled one where it's marred with inconsistency.

Great:

I'll have a large slice of humble pie with vanilla ice cream, thanks, as Borlase had a hell of a debut. Signs of a high quality player in him as well as whilst he had an 'easy' matchup against Casboult, Borlase was able to hold him and hurt the other way, which not a lot of KPDs can do.

Keane had two matches and is now in my best 22. We have a big-time defender on our hands to partner Murray.

I'd go so far as to say, structurally, we really have our defense right at the moment. The fact we've had three big injuries and been able to wear it without too many issues is very promising for the future.

Suns were able to hold Tex and Fog stepped up with a monster game. Hasn't hit the highs I thought he would, but at least Fog has really cemented himself as a dangerous 2nd KPF going forward.

Hinge had a monster game, and honestly, our defense looks better without Smith being a key factor. Which bodes very well for the future. Smith also looks better for it as well with another big game.

Good:

Worrell got the job at CHB and did a good job holding Lukosius to a pretty modest game. It's probably not his future looking at our squad, but it does take pressure off our KPDS to be healthy that he can deal with a key forward when required.

I liked Murphys game a lot. Doubled nicely as an outside mid, made some handy defensive plays, and connected well.

That's probably the best game Schoenberg has played in a year or two for me. Faded, but some of those little bits of class and composure were back which made him such an intriguing prospect after 2021.

Our midfield was able to out muscle the Suns for large portions of that game, and without a genuinely outstanding game from any of Crouch, Dawson or Laird.

McAdam filled that Rankine hole well.

Soligo had a class game.

Meh, but worth mentioning:

Oh Thilthorpe, you are so frustratingly close to breaking out into a top-tier forward.

Rachele had one interesting moment right at the end of the game. Very quiet game, 40 out in one we've iced and instead of blazing away, he hit up Fogarty 15 out. A good bit of maturity from the lad. Especially as he was having one of those games that can occasionally hit a developing (or mid-tier) small forward.

Nank wasn't outstanding, but it looked like he was able to learn from the Port game and handled the pace better.

Ugly:

0.7 in the third quarter, and our ball movement wasn't as sharp. It's really the big challenge this preseason is can we fix these periods where we go ice-cold with skills.

Chayce Jones injury. I assume it's season-ending, and if so, it's a sad end to a bright year.

Ultimately though, I had the mark for a good season as 10-wins and making our home ground a fortress and with this game, we've reached that.

Last edited:
Disappointed in the radio commentators who were completely ineffective in explaining the injury to Powell. Hope he recovers well. TV commentators saying they won't show replay from other angle. On radio they didn't relay this. Probably because they were watching TV in Melbourne??? .. Think I had MMM on at that stage...

What really confused me yesterday was the Umpires' ever-changing, kaleidoscopic concept of 'prior opportunity' and holding the ball. My thoughts are:
--- if a player can spin or duck, that's prior opportunity.
--- if a player takes possession, does nothing/stands, waits for the tackle (ie "holds" the ball, doing nothing), that's p.o.
--- if a player can lift his hands with the ball, no-one there, takes the tackle, p.o.

Many good, timely tackles from both sides went unrewarded, yet several other quick tackles with no p.o. were called htb. I was confused, watching.
I can see that the players were similarly Hamlet-confused:
To tackle or not to tackle, that is the question.
Umpires were awful for both teams. Holding the ball was one of the worst culprits

Yeah, yesterday it was strange watching him.
Without that "arrogant swagger" it's like he's lost that young colt spark.

I wondered if Nicks had told him to pull his head in a bit, or maybe someone close to him (eg a parent?) expressed real disappointment at him throwing that punch and getting suspended. It's speculation, I know I'm guessing, but if we have to take Rachele's antics to get the talented edge, I'm all for it eg
Akermanis and his carry-on (let him do a hand-stand after a win, no harm done), or the way/s that Blighty suppressed Modra's flair and tried to make him an all-rounder (let him take his hangers and kick goals --- he was a speccy full-forward excitement machine).

My read on it is he just had that type of game that you can have when you're not the main guys in a forward line. Probably made a lot of runs, had a lot of opportunities to the get the ball, and for whatever reason, it just didn't come to him.

Really good post, WW, thanks for the food-for-thought:

I think he comes in and out of the game too much; mixes lengthy mediocrity with flashes of brilliance.
He's selected on the basis of his effort, imo.
You can't have impact-without-effort, but effort-without-impact (eg like McHenry, similar) is not enough.

Who's talking about trading him?
He's just starting to show his real talents again.

Yeah, he does a lot of very clever stuff. He's shorter but more nuggety-solid than Sholl, but wfa a much better player. Soligo has WOW-factor.

I agree, and just do not understand the Keays-hate in here. His two-way running is invaluable and he's an effective linkman. People complain about his Joe-the-goose goals but if he's fit enough to run into position to kick them, goodonim I say.
Keays is starting to look like he's thinking more about what's around him and not just going full-bore. He does a lot of one-%ers that largely go unnoticed (tap-ons, blocks/shepherds) and sells good candy but
GEEZ :grimacing::grimacing:
I wish he'd work on his R-foot kicking. Tex is the man he should be talking to about kicking strongly with both feet.

He hasn't found that balance between uncontrolled swagger and more quiet/restrained focus.
Yet.
He's only 20. In 2-3+ years he'll be a star. Must persevere with him, as you said.

I am because as much as it's ruthless (as it is moving on a good player in his prime), it's seemingly the correct call with our list.

After all, we really don't need to pay, or select another deep forward. We have three KPFs who are all quality, and we have Rankine as our main guys. We have forward depth with Rachele and Pedlar, who'll both play a lot of forward minutes in 2024 and we have Gollant as cheap depth in this role. It's time for both parties to move on.

Last edited:
2nd quarter.

Shoenberg; continues to havee a good game. Delivery to Soligo for his goal was sublime. The potential that all of us saw in his 2nd season (22 games or something) is coming to fruition. 2 games in a row he's looking like a midfield bull who wins possession and not burning the ball after a good win in the contest like he did last year and earlier this year.

Keayes has been good. If he's your whipping boy, at this stage you need to reassess. He's a solid player, playing hus role well now.

Murphy did have a good 1st quarter, so reserved judgement until 2nd. He's been good. Always puts pressure on and he's been composed with the ball. Probably pressure for his spot has taken him to the next level. Eventually, he'll be depth, but he's not getting dropped for the Brisbane game.

Thilthorpe is always putting pressure on. It will click like it has with Schoenberg. He doesn't get beaten. Needs confidence.

Jones continues to show that he has gotten it together.

Michalhenney; I saw this and wanted to look at the replay.... He runs hard and chases at pace to influence the delivery of a kick. I'm impressed. Covers distance at pace.
View attachment 1766832View attachment 1766834

Shoenberg is a strange beast. Two years ago he looked like one of our most promising youngsters and then he fell off a cliff. The last two weeks I have seen a few "Dangerfield at his peak" moments. He's had a ood fortnight. Hopefully he has a big pre-season.

Gee Worell loves a scrap, he’s not mouthy just shows the mouth guard and gets in there.
He's fast becoming one of my favorite players. He has that natural aggression and willingness to stick up for a teammate.

Our back 6 are starting to look like a real tight outfit. It's going to be fascinating to see how they develop in 24. Michalanney, Hinge, Worrell, Murray, Milera and Butts - is a good young back 6 (although I would love Hinge in the midfield).

3rd quarter. Suns brought the preeasure. We were quite good in the contest but poor finishing. Definitely, composure when it matters is something we need to work on.

No one standing out as poor in the contested work. But looking like both sides feeling the intensity of the game.

Looked like they started beef with the inexperienced defenders. Keane, Worrell and Michalanney. They boys were not intimidated and stood up to them. Looks like the same "intimidate the kids" strategy that got the better of Rachelle. They weathered it well.

What?..

Nothing about Keays and Murphy?… in that 3rd quarter?..

Both went MIA for most of it..

This is what shits me.. people love to highlight these two when they do good things and throw around the “oh, i dont get the hate” nonsense.. but then when these two, who are senior players now, go missing they say nothing about it?.. crickets..

What about that 4th quarter?..

Any comment on Keays and Murphy.. two senior players.. streaming down the far wing along side each other with barely a Suns player near them.. and neither of the two could make a decision and neither wanted to kick it cause they dont trust their non preferred.. so they end up running all the way into the forward 50.. ignoring their forwards that are free and waiting for a kick.. only to finally do a loopy handball to Rachele who, by that stage has heat on him from Suns players..

Turnover.

Any comments on that doozy?…

s**t skills, poor/slow decision making and hesitations from senior players in this comp is not something you can carry if you want to play finals.

Its not “hate” for these guys..

Its simply acknowledging that its time to move on from them as their poor skills and decisions become inexcusable liabilities in the big moments in games.

What?..

Nothing about Keays and Murphy?… in that 3rd quarter?..

Both went MIA for most of it..

This is what shits me.. people love to highlight these two when they do good things and throw around the “oh, i dont get the hate” nonsense.. but then when these two, who are senior players now, go missing they say nothing about it?.. crickets..

What about that 4th quarter?..

Any comment on Keays and Murphy.. two senior players.. streaming down the far wing along side each other with barely a Suns player near them.. and neither of the two could make a decision and neither wanted to kick it cause they dont trust their non preferred.. so they end up running all the way into the forward 50.. ignoring their forwards that are free and waiting for a kick.. only to finally do a loopy handball to Rachele who, by that stage has heat on him from Suns players..

Turnover.

Any comments on that doozy?…

s**t skills, poor/slow decision making and hesitations from senior players in this comp is not something you can carry if you want to play finals.

Its not “hate” for these guys..

Its simply acknowledging that its time to move on from them as their poor skills and decisions become inexcusable liabilities in the big moments in games.
It is hate for these guys because they both did more than Taylor Walker in the 3rd quarter who had 0 posessions and 0 marks and 7 pressure acts. Now sit down and let the grown ups talk.

Back