Review Good/Bad v Essendon, Round 21. TOP 2 = SEALED

Remove this Banner Ad

So what led to the king hit?

The answer could be "nothing".

I was king hit after a Hawthorn game years ago while waiting for my wife outside the ladies loos. I wasn't saying anything or doing anything and the first I knew of anything I was on the ground.

To Velvet - sorry, though I was on the platform I didn't see anything. I might have been there earlier or later, or for that matter been at the other end, but there wasn't any commotion when I was there. Hope you are ok.

Jeez you Essendon fans are a fair mob and good losers, thanks.
I love watching the Crows in full flight too. Their willingness to run and spread to create opportunities is becoming elite, especially when you see a lot of the running is unrewarded when play is switched. I think also their footskills have improved a lot, almost Hawthorn-like when Hawthorn were dominating.
I'm a Crows fan since their inception but some of their wins this year have involved beautiful teamwork and footy, best I've seen since dunno when.
I think you will find we mostly are a fair mob, and I especially have enjoyed the interaction with the Crows supporters on our board in the lead up to the game.

I expected to see Eddie Betts (who is my favourite non Bomber player) give us a bath, so was pleasantly surprised to see him goalless at the end of the game.

Hope Sloane has pulled up ok

Only too glad to hear it :). You looked into the following?

https://usafl.com/

Actually, Feenix had an Austin Crow on the Crowcast last year. Lot of ex-pats make up the USA Footy league.

I knew they had an international competition on occasion.

Definitely appreciate the link mate. :thumbsu:

Keath hasn't had any great games he infact has had some poor ones but he did ok last night he needs to have a good one this week against the swans but so does CC in my view otherwise I would replace both

But only if Harto is available for Keath

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

No great games but he's definitely shown good signs and looks like he'll grow into the role. Would have been preferable that he was 10 games more experienced coming into AFL finals. Talk about thrown in the deep end I always found being a defender rather nerve wracking myself.

No great games but he's definitely shown good signs and looks like he'll grow into the role. Would have been preferable that he was 10 games more experienced coming into AFL finals. Talk about thrown in the deep end I always found being a defender rather nerve wracking myself.

Come finals who would you feel more comfortable with Harto or Keath when we are up against the best teams in the league

The answer could be "nothing".

I was king hit after a Hawthorn game years ago while waiting for my wife outside the ladies loos. I wasn't saying anything or doing anything and the first I knew of anything I was on the ground.

To Velvet - sorry, though I was on the platform I didn't see anything. I might have been there earlier or later, or for that matter been at the other end, but there wasn't any commotion when I was there. Hope you are ok.
Basically the same situation as you mate. It's no good, but grog makes people do stupid, stupid things.

As an aside, watching the replay. Gee whiz that Lever is something else. Had a quiet game but even then was influential.
I seriously regret letting Jenkins go. He's a star. Same as Atkins, he is just a joy to watch.

I never watch losses back on replay, but far out your boys are a seriously impressive unit. You'll have most of the Essendon board on your side if we don't make it / get knocked out. Awesome side.

Come finals who would you feel more comfortable with Harto or Keath when we are up against the best teams in the league

Comes down to form.

Hartigan was having a very average season and has now had minimal football in the back half of the year...couldn't make a case for him right now but a lot may change between now and the QF.

I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill. It was just a bit of an exuberant celebration, having kicked his 3rd goal in quick succession. He & Atkins have apparently known each other since they were 12, and are best mates.

I actually thought the game was played in good spirits. I even saw Essendon's Kelly giving Sloane a hand up off the ground at one stage.
I'm hardly making anything out of it.

It's not about them being mates or not, it's about being dump enough to celebrate like you kicked the winning goal half way through the second quarter, when you're one point up.

The Crows were in a malaise and it's likely this fired them up resulting in the run on of 7 goals. It's just a stupid move.

Last edited:
Played ok I read the sen report they said he was solid

Harto has played far far far better

Or are you saying the best of Keath is better than the best of Harto

I feel there was a bit of underrating of Keaths game from SEN, but then I feel they underrate defenders. He was BOG for me in the first quarter seeing he blanketed Danniher, and was a huge reason we only conceded two goals that quarter despite Essendon looking dangerous. Faded a tad but ended up with a quite good performance.

Harto has had a couple of games better in 2016, but not many over the course of the journey. With Harto his real value lies in that he's cheap salary cap wise, whilst putting in usually consistent performances (which all clubs that are contenders need this type of player in their bottom half of a lineup). Keath looks like he can be more than that, which would make his best better than Hartos best. Harto is probably more consistent at this stage.

Starting to think Keath , especially if Harto doesn't get on the paddock soon

Hopefully they will both be fit and in form

I keep worrying that Keaths body will break down but so far so good

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's going to be a huge call

Do I want to see Taylor kick another 5 on Keath or Harto get beaten like he has been also

Or do I want to see Harto play like he did in showdown 1 I'm yet to see that in Keath yet

Taylor kicked 2 of those 5 on Otten.

Do you expect Hartigan who hasn't played for 2 months to play like he did in round 2? I like Hartigan but Hartigan didn't play like that for the remainder of the year.

If Hartigan doesn't make it back for at least one SANFL game then he won't be back unless we cop an injury.

There is no way Pyke will gamble on that given Keath is getting the job done and I'm prepared to bet on that. Up for it? I bet Hartigan won't get a game without at least one SANFL game.

Only my 3rd game live for season

Matt Crouch was outstanding , best game I've seen from him

Our outside players were all dominant on the same night - Smith Atkins and Mackay

Actually I was surprised by Mackay , some of his defensive running and ability to close down space was outstanding , he did some tough things and he used it well by foot at times too

I'm so surprised by many things but in particular the form of Douglas and Mackay and the seemless way Greenwood and Keath have adapted to the level

I think you will find we mostly are a fair mob, and I especially have enjoyed the interaction with the Crows supporters on our board in the lead up to the game.

I expected to see Eddie Betts (who is my favourite non Bomber player) give us a bath, so was pleasantly surprised to see him goalless at the end of the game.

Hope Sloane has pulled up ok
Was in the crowd last night , loved the way your fans supported your team and got up and about on your Hooker inspired run

But even when you were down by 6-7 goals the fans were very supportive and passionate without being d1cks

Much better than Carlton fans !!!

Well we're probably playing one of the best next weekend. It's going to be a good test for Keath and we'll know better then.

I don't think I've seen Keath have a brain fade like Harto is prone to yet, but he's definitely been beaten 1 v 1 a few times. Hopefully Hartigan can have a few games in the SANFL to get some form.

Him saying charges have been laid is hardly proof. There are aspects of this whole story that make absolutely no sense so you can understand peoples cynicism.

Anyway thats enough from me on this.
I have it on good authority that the idiot in the Crows jumper that hit him was Alex!!!

Last edited:
Matt Crouch is up there with the best one-touch players in the comp. He was so clean on Saturday night. Just plucks the ball out of congestion and flicks the ball out to a spare man. His historic weakness, his kicking, has improved as well. I think this is largely down to decision-making rather than skills. Rather than trying to kick it lace-out 50m, he wheels onto the left and pinpoints 25-30m passes. Knows his limitations and plays within them.

Matt Crouch is up there with the best one-touch players in the comp. He was so clean on Saturday night. Just plucks the ball out of congestion and flicks the ball out to a spare man. His historic weakness, his kicking, has improved as well. I think this is largely down to decision-making rather than skills. Rather than trying to kick it lace-out 50m, he wheels onto the left and pinpoints 25-30m passes. Knows his limitations and plays within them.
I'm seeing less floaters. He's hitting the ball better. Probably just due to going for less distance on the kick.

The Good: Winning knowing that a win would seal top 2 and a home Qualifying final.. in the past when something like that was up for grabs we would blow it and lose.. maybe the playing group wasn't aware.. im astounded how players say the don't look at the ladder and what is needed etc.
The bad: Injuries to our 2 most important players.. if either one or both don't play this week I can see a 7 goal loss coming up.

A few further thoughts now I've watched the replay as well as sitting up in the nosebleeds:

- we mixed up our movement from defence very well. At times (particularly early) we were willing to move the ball around the boundary with a series of 20-25 metre kicks. Other times we ran at their zone with aggressive handball. And occasionally we'd go long to a contest. Far less butchering the ball with a blind kick to a posse of Essendon defenders than we've seen in other games.
- Matt Crouch is a gem. The way he can move the ball from a 50-50 contest to give us the advantage coming out of a pack, or the frequency with which he settles down the play after a string of handballs with that little pass to a marking target is a thing of beauty.
- Talia didn't look right all night. Beaten by Daniher and Hooker at various times. With Hartigan and Otten sidelined and Keath still inexperienced, I think we were almost forced into playing him. I hope he gets a rest before September.
- Speaking of Keath, I thought he was solid defensively and used his speed beautifully to set us up a few times going forward. I'd heard about his raw speed, and it was really evident in the passage of play that set up a shot at goal in the last quarter (from the left pocket - either Tex or Gov, can't remember which). Keath set off on a scorching burst to receive the first kick at half back, and then presented further down the wing for another involvement.
- Essendon were very keen to set up for a Joe the Goose scenario, and it's to the credit of our defenders that they really only got one (when Stewart outmarked Lever in the 1st). Luke Brown was exceptionally good on McDonald-Tipungwuti.
- Jenkins has had a bit of a reputation of kicking junk time goals. I'm going to postulate something else - that by working his man up and down the field, he gets some last quarter goals because his opponents have burnt all their matches by then. I say that because he's making a habit of hitting up on a lead quite effectively in the last quarter with a defender trailing in behind. Hurley got a fair bit of it, but Jenkins had more impact and left Hurley eating dust by the end.
- Douglas and Mackay are playing some very good footy at the moment. For both of them, their moment of truth comes in September.
- Jake Lever is crazy brave, but really needs to work on his strength over the summer so he doesn't keep getting worked out of one-on-one marking contests so easily.
- I applaud the umpires paying extra attention to what's going on holding wise at the contest, but it's come at the expense of what's going on off the contest. McGovern may have taken that first mark off hands, but Lynch was upended in the goalsquare to prevent him getting to the contest. There were more than a few other times where players were held rather than shepherded to prevent them getting to the ball or the next contest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back