Review Good/Bad v Essendon, Round 4

Remove this Banner Ad

I tend to agree re Hampton. He does some good inside work but his workrate after that is poor IMO.

Needs to become more involved than what he's doing currently.
Hampton had the most pressure acts of any player. He is working as hard as anyone, but would be good if he could get on the end of some more clearances, so he can use his speed to clear the ball from the contest.

Still unconvinced about our centre square work. Would love to see a breakdown of who attends our centre square bounces and the % of clearances won when they're in there. Would love someone else to do it too. I did it for one game last year (Geelong at home) and from that very small sample size I surmised that Sloane is the be all and end all of our centre square work.

I know we are floating more players through the middle this season but at crunch time we always go back to Sloane, Douglas, M Crouch. Is that trio good enough to get it done against the best teams when it counts? Will B Crouch be able to step up and assume one of those key roles?

Centre contests:

First Quarter
20:00 Sloane, Douglas, MCrouch, Jacobs. Clearance by Essendon
19:13 Sloane, Douglas, MCrouch, Jacobs. Clearance by Sloane
17:20 Sloane, Douglas, MCrouch, Jacobs. Clean clearance by Essendon marked by Daniher.
15:56 Sloane, Douglas, Hampton, Jacobs. Clearance by Douglas
13:42 Sloane, Douglas, Hampton, Jacobs. Clearance by Jacobs after first possession by Essendon
10:16 Atkins, Laird, Hampton, Otten. Free against Watson, 50m against James Kelly
9:44 Atkins, Laird, Hampton, Otten. Clearance by Hampton
7:23 Laird, MCrouch, Sloane, Jacobs. Clearance by Sloane
5:17 Atkins, MCrouch, Sloane, Jacobs. Clearance by Essendon
4:23 Atkins, Douglas, Hampton, Jacobs. Clearance by Essendon
3:37 Atkins, Douglas, MCrouch, Jacobs. Clearance by Essendon.
2:30 Atkins, Douglas, MCrouch, Jacbos. Clearance by Essendon
0:08 Atkins, Hampton, MCrouch, Jacobs. Clearance by Essendon

Second Quarter
20:00 Sloane, Hampton, Douglas, Jacobs. Clearance by Jacobs, possession chain to a miss by Cameron
17:58 Sloane, Hampton, Douglas, Jacobs. Clean clearance by Essendon (Goddard to Watson) led to goal by Essendon
17:16 Sloane, Hampton, Douglas, Jacobs. Clearance by Essendon.
15:44 Sloane, Hampton, MCrouch, Jacobs. Cameron with the clearance charging off half back to rove the tap.
12:43 Laird, Douglas, MCrouch, Jacobs. Essendon caught holding the ball, Adelaide clearance (Laird)
10:27 M Crouch, Douglas, Hampton, Otten. Clearance by Essendon
7:29 Sloane, Douglas, MCrouch, Jacobs. Jacobs smashes it straight down Sloane's throat, Adelaide clearance
6:30 Sloane, Cameron, Hampton, Jacobs. Leuenberger great tap to Watson, Essendon clearance
4:20 Sloane, Douglas, MCrouch, Jacobs. MCrouch first possession, Essendon clearance.
1:48 Sloane, Douglas, MCrouch, Jacobs. Adelaide should have had the clearance but Douglas fell asleep and got caught HTB.
0:49 Sloane, Douglas, MCrouch, Jacobs. Sloane clearance with a massive assist from Menzel coming in from the back of the square.

Third Quarter
19:28 Sloane, Douglas, MCrouch, Jacobs. Clearance by Essendon
17:43 Sloane, Douglas, MCrouch, Jacobs. Clearance by Essendon
15:49 Laird, MCrouch, Hampton, Jacobs. Hampton penalised HTB in a ridiculous call.
14:25 Laird, MCrouch, Hampton, Jacobs. Clearance by Essendon
2:00 Douglas, Hampton, MCrouch, Jacobs. Clearance by Hampton

Fourth Quarter
20:00 Douglas, Hampton, Sloane, Jacobs. Clearance by Betts charging off half back.
19:04 Douglas, Hampton, Sloane, Jacobs. Clearance by Essendon.
14:41 Betts, MCrouch, Mackay, Jacobs. Clearance by Betts.
12:19 MCrouch, Hampton, Sloane, Jacobs. Bad bounce, thrown up, Essendon clearance intercepted by Brodie Smith to freak Eddie goal
11:54 MCrouch, Hampton, Sloane, Otten. No clearance, Otten down to Sloane for the clearance from the second bounce.
10:55 Sloane, Douglas, Hampton, Otten. Essendon 1st possession, stripped by Sloane, Adelaide clearance.
8:04 Sloane, Menzel, Douglas, Jacobs. Clean tap to Goddard, Essendon clearance.
6:37 Sloane, MCrouch, Douglas, Jacobs. Zaharakis hacks it clear to McDonald-Tipungwuti
5:17 Hampton, Douglas, MCrouch, Jacobs. Essendon clearance. (Down to 20 fit as Cameron is ont the bench).
4:10 Laird, Hampton, MCrouch, Jacobs. Jacobs grabs the loose ball and hoofs it to the flank.
1:07 Sloane, Laird, Hampton, Jacobs. Daniher wins the clearance coming off half back.

Make of that what you will. A couple of observations from my perspective:
- we got pounded in the centre clearances in the third term, but no more than in the second half of the first when we were dominating.
- that run of points that Essendon scored meant there were no centre clearances for nearly 12 1/2 minutes of game time in the third. Hard to infer what our midfield were doing, but we really struggled to clear our 50 in that period.
- just going through these on the replay, it was astounding for the number of centre contests he competed in how often the ball went to the other side ofthe circle to where Hampton was. I haven't got a stat for that, but if your position is on the defensive side of the circle, you probably can't be blamed of the ball goes the other way.

Also other thoughts:
  • I reckon I saw our boys get confused twice with jumper colours. Laird in the first handballed it to green (lucky free to us had it called back). Tex on the wing handballed over his head... to a bloke standing 5m clear.
  • Hard to put a finger on what caused the "slow down" in our rampage over the 2nd and 3rd quarters. Just seemed like it was "almost" play after "almost" play again. Fumble a mark, miss a goal, miss a target in f50. Shows just how things change when you slack off 10%. 3rd quarter we had no run from behind a pack, no link up players up forward. 50m kick to a pack, then ball spills, we don't get it. Repeat for 30 mins.
  • Harto, mate. I was pumping up your tires saying you've been brilliant at coming off the man to spoil and kill a forward thrust. You have been. This game though... second guessed yourself while doing it a lot. Got caught in no mans land, like 5 times.
  • How good is Lever? He's rolled gold baby. (Expert fister!)

Except you get to run 15 metres before you have to bounce. Colyer would put metres on most opponents in that time.

What was pleasing was Crouch didn't stop, and it put Colyer under pressure.

Even more than that, he kept Colyer under enough pressure that when Brown came up to help corral him, there was no option to try to turn. The result was a rushed kick around the corner that Laird marked unopposed.

About 8 seconds later Cameron was streaming forward and missing the goals by about 45 metres.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Centre contests:

First Quarter
19:13 Sloane, Douglas, MCrouch, Jacobs. Clearance by Sloane
17:20 Sloane, Douglas, MCrouch, Jacobs. Clean clearance by Essendon marked by Daniher.
15:56 Sloane, Douglas, Hampton, Jacobs. Clearance by Douglas
13:42 Sloane, Douglas, Hampton, Jacobs. Clearance by Jacobs after first possession by Essendon
10:16 Atkins, Laird, Hampton, Otten. Free against Watson, 50m against James Kelly
9:44 Atkins, Laird, Hampton, Otten. Clearance by Hampton
7:23 Laird, MCrouch, Sloane, Jacobs. Clearance by Sloane
5:17 Atkins, MCrouch, Sloane, Jacobs. Clearance by Essendon
4:23 Atkins, Douglas, Hampton, Jacobs. Clearance by Essendon
3:37 Atkins, Douglas, MCrouch, Jacobs. Clearance by Essendon.
2:30 Atkins, Douglas, MCrouch, Jacbos. Clearance by Essendon
0:08 Atkins, Hampton, MCrouch, Jacobs. Clearance by Essendon

Second Quarter
20:00 Sloane, Hampton, Douglas, Jacobs. Clearance by Jacobs, possession chain to a miss by Cameron
17:58 Sloane, Hampton, Douglas, Jacobs. Clean clearance by Essendon (Goddard to Watson) led to goal by Essendon
17:16 Sloane, Hampton, Douglas, Jacobs. Clearance by Essendon.
15:44 Sloane, Hampton, MCrouch, Jacobs. Cameron with the clearance charging off half back to rove the tap.
12:43 Laird, Douglas, MCrouch, Jacobs. Essendon caught holding the ball, Adelaide clearance (Laird)
10:27 M Crouch, Douglas, Hampton, Otten. Clearance by Essendon
7:29 Sloane, Douglas, MCrouch, Jacobs. Jacobs smashes it straight down Sloane's throat, Adelaide clearance
6:30 Sloane, Cameron, Hampton, Jacobs. Leuenberger great tap to Watson, Essendon clearance
4:20 Sloane, Douglas, MCrouch, Jacobs. MCrouch first possession, Essendon clearance.
1:48 Sloane, Douglas, MCrouch, Jacobs. Adelaide should have had the clearance but Douglas fell asleep and got caught HTB.
0:49 Sloane, Douglas, MCrouch, Jacobs. Sloane clearance with a massive assist from Menzel coming in from the back of the square.

Third Quarter
19:28 Sloane, Douglas, MCrouch, Jacobs. Clearance by Essendon
17:43 Sloane, Douglas, MCrouch, Jacobs. Clearance by Essendon
15:49 Laird, MCrouch, Hampton, Jacobs. Hampton penalised HTB in a ridiculous call.
14:25 Laird, MCrouch, Hampton, Jacobs. Clearance by Essendon
2:00 Douglas, Hampton, MCrouch, Jacobs. Clearance by Hampton

Fourth Quarter
20:00 Douglas, Hampton, Sloane, Jacobs. Clearance by Betts charging off half back.
19:04 Douglas, Hampton, Sloane, Jacobs. Clearance by Essendon.
14:41 Betts, MCrouch, Mackay, Jacobs. Clearance by Betts.
12:19 MCrouch, Hampton, Sloane, Jacobs. Bad bounce, thrown up, Essendon clearance intercepted by Brodie Smith to freak Eddie goal
11:54 MCrouch, Hampton, Sloane, Otten. No clearance, Otten down to Sloane for the clearance from the second bounce.
10:55 Sloane, Douglas, Hampton, Otten. Essendon 1st possession, stripped by Sloane, Adelaide clearance.
8:04 Sloane, Menzel, Douglas, Jacobs. Clean tap to Goddard, Essendon clearance.
6:37 Sloane, MCrouch, Douglas, Jacobs. Zaharakis hacks it clear to McDonald-Tipungwuti
5:17 Hampton, Douglas, MCrouch, Jacobs. Essendon clearance. (Down to 20 fit as Cameron is ont the bench).
4:10 Laird, Hampton, MCrouch, Jacobs. Jacobs grabs the loose ball and hoofs it to the flank.
1:07 Sloane, Laird, Hampton, Jacobs. Daniher wins the clearance coming off half back.

Make of that what you will. A couple of observations from my perspective:
- we got pounded in the centre clearances in the third term, but no more than in the second half of the first when we were dominating.
- that run of points that Essendon scored meant there were no centre clearances for nearly 12 1/2 minutes of game time in the third. Hard to infer what our midfield were doing, but we really struggled to clear our 50 in that period.
- just going through these on the replay, it was astounding for the number of centre contests he competed in how often the ball went to the other side ofthe circle to where Hampton was. I haven't got a stat for that, but if your position is on the defensive side of the circle, you probably can't be blamed of the ball goes the other way.
Terrific thank you!

Centre bounces attended
Sloane 27
Crouch 27
Douglas 27
Hampton 23
Laird 8
Atkins 7

Centre clearances
Sloane 5
Hampton 2
Douglas 1
Laird 1
Crouch 0
Atkins 0

% of centre clearances won by Adelaide whilst attending
62.5 Laird
43.5 Hampton
37.0 Sloane
37.0 Douglas
33.3 Crouch
28.6 Atkins

Thoughts
Atkins can head straight back to the wing please once Brad Crouch returns (Mackay out).
More Laird please!
M Crouch worrying. This needs to be his bread and butter.

Based on the melt by some over one poor quarter of footy, im really scared of the melt which will occur when we lose a game.

Things gaurenteed to be mentioned are:
1/ Mackay has to go!
2/ Greenwood is being mistreated
3/ Pyke has no tactical awareness and is a poor game day coach
4/ its Campos fault
5/ its still Nobles fault
6/ The club accepts mediocrity
7/ put a line through Kelly, Milera, Hartigan
8/ otten is slow and must go
9/ (One for the bigfooty afc heroes that show up after a loss)we were exposed as being the s**t team we all knew we are.

This will be fun.

Based on the melt by some over one poor quarter of footy, im really scared of the melt which will occur when we lose a game.

1/ Mackay has to go!

To be fair, that's a guarantee regardless.

Terrific thank you!

Centre bounces attended
Sloane 27
Crouch 27
Douglas 27
Hampton 23
Laird 8
Atkins 7

Centre clearances
Sloane 5
Hampton 2
Douglas 1
Laird 1
Crouch 0
Atkins 0

% of centre clearances won by Adelaide whilst attending
62.5 Laird
43.5 Hampton
37.0 Sloane
37.0 Douglas
33.3 Crouch
28.6 Atkins

Thoughts
Atkins can head straight back to the wing please once Brad Crouch returns (Mackay out).
More Laird please!
M Crouch worrying. This needs to be his bread and butter.
That's funny, I recall M Crouch getting the first clearance of the match, miskicking it to an Essendon player on the wing. What's the definition of clearance here?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well it's clearly inaccurate whatever it was.
I can't remember that clearance.

Pretty sure that with CD's definition if you flub a kick/handball straight to the opposition who clear the ball then they are credited with the clearance, even though you gained first possession.

I can't remember that clearance.

Pretty sure that with CD's definition if you flub a kick/handball straight to the opposition who clear the ball then they are credited with the clearance, even though you gained first possession.
I'm pretty sure if it leaves the centre square, it's a bloody clearance.

Edit: it's the second clearance which he has credited to Sloane.

That's funny, I recall M Crouch getting the first clearance of the match, miskicking it to an Essendon player on the wing. What's the definition of clearance here?

Crouch didn't get near the first clearance. Jacobs tap, Parish grabbed it cleanly and kicked it out to the wing.

I'm pretty sure if it leaves the centre square, it's a bloody clearance.

Edit: it's the second clearance which he has credited to Sloane.

Sloane got a clear hand pass to Crouch, who butchered the kick to the wing despite minimal pressure.

The way I went through the match was who cleared the stoppage, not who cleared the centre square. Get a hand pass that gets knocked down, that's not a clearance - but get a hand pass that releases a player in space, that's what I consider a clearance.

Also other thoughts:
  • I reckon I saw our boys get confused twice with jumper colours. Laird in the first handballed it to green (lucky free to us had it called back). Tex on the wing handballed over his head... to a bloke standing 5m clear.
  • Hard to put a finger on what caused the "slow down" in our rampage over the 2nd and 3rd quarters. Just seemed like it was "almost" play after "almost" play again. Fumble a mark, miss a goal, miss a target in f50. Shows just how things change when you slack off 10%. 3rd quarter we had no run from behind a pack, no link up players up forward. 50m kick to a pack, then ball spills, we don't get it. Repeat for 30 mins.
  • Harto, mate. I was pumping up your tires saying you've been brilliant at coming off the man to spoil and kill a forward thrust. You have been. This game though... second guessed yourself while doing it a lot. Got caught in no mans land, like 5 times.
Even Basil got confused by that Tex handball. He said 'clever handball' then realised it had gone straight to a Bomber.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

1/ Mackay has to go!
2/ Greenwood is being mistreated
3/ Pyke has no tactical awareness and is a poor game day coach
4/ its Campos fault
5/ its still Nobles fault
6/ The club accepts mediocrity
7/ put a line through Kelly, Milera, Hartigan
8/ otten is slow and must go
9/ (One for the bigfooty afc heroes that show up after a loss)we were exposed as being the s**t team we all knew we are.

This will be fun.

I see so you enjoy it when the Crows lose games. Not surprised.

Also other thoughts:
made me wince when he said that:handfist:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back