Review Good/Bad v Essendon, Round 4

Remove this Banner Ad

He sounded like someone was handing him a piece of paper with the stats and he was reading them on air as he read it himself for the first time, and got it all mucked up -

---

while we're on Basil - I had read people mention his call is 4 or 5 seconds behind the play, but I hadn't watched too many games he'd called before so hadn't noticed it. Tex Walker's 2nd goal in the first quarter where Cameron chased down the ball, handballed to Tex at the top of the goal square and he sold a bit of a dummy before banging it through went something like this :

"Long ball, down in the Cameron direction, trying to run on to this one - Conor, played it ok.... Conor McKennaaaa......... outplayed in the end, how about that? Walker waited at the top of the square he's kicked two"

By the time Basil mentions Walker's name, the goal had been signalled and he was already hi-fiving Cameron and co., meanwhile Mckenna never got close to taking possession and got mentioned the most in the play - ridiculous
He's the worst. It's beyond me how he is in the position he is. There are many more commentators out there which are far better than he is. He gets names wrong constantly. He calls things late or just says weird things like what you just mentioned. He's just bad.

Still haven't rewatched the game but came away with how much better Essendons precise field kicking was, and also their had passing in and out of congested traffic. Just say in' the two things I was left with.
Thats the way Essendon wanted to play always hitting the short kick. Didnt really work for them. A heap of posession going nowhere.

Good:

A 65 point win against opposition that wasnt horrible, just made errors which we pounced on. We are a vicious and deadly side when on the turnover, especially in the centre of the ground. Run and options galore.
Milera and Knight had pretty good games. Not dominant but made meaningful contributions @ 90%DE
Laird had 10 Contested Posessions, not bad for a half back
Essendon providing a contest after half time, a nice little slap in the face for our club. Some of their field kicking was wonderful, credit to them.

Bad
The third quarter. It was a bit frustrating but we just kinda went to sleep for a quarter
The injury to Kelly, he was starting to look good. Fierce competitor and his disposal was getting better.
Charlie Cameron not just continuing into goal!
Some people on here seem to think every single player on our list should have 35 touches at 100% DE with 12 tackles and 3 goals. If not, they should be written off as spuds who should be dropped to the SANFL forever. As long as McKay, Knight, Milera and Hampton have their 15-20 with a few tackles and clearances we will go a long way this year.

He sounded like someone was handing him a piece of paper with the stats and he was reading them on air as he read it himself for the first time, and got it all mucked up -

---

while we're on Basil - I had read people mention his call is 4 or 5 seconds behind the play, but I hadn't watched too many games he'd called before so hadn't noticed it. Tex Walker's 2nd goal in the first quarter where Cameron chased down the ball, handballed to Tex at the top of the goal square and he sold a bit of a dummy before banging it through went something like this :

"Long ball, down in the Cameron direction, trying to run on to this one - Conor, played it ok.... Conor McKennaaaa......... outplayed in the end, how about that? Walker waited at the top of the square he's kicked two"

By the time Basil mentions Walker's name, the goal had been signalled and he was already hi-fiving Cameron and co., meanwhile Mckenna never got close to taking possession and got mentioned the most in the play - ridiculous

Im not sure what is worse. Basils calling on the replay I watched or Tyson "I hate the Crows" Edwards on MMM giving his special comments. He even mentioned his mate Lleyton Hewitt... ugh.

The flaw is that when we are being beaten in the midfield, we don't just get beaten, we get absolutely smashed, whether it's because we've gone off our game and let the opposition take control, or been beaten from start to finish - and on top of that, we struggled badly to reassert any control over the midfield battle, against Essendon, a B grade midfield at best.

Same old, same old.
I think you might be reading a bit too much into what happened in the 3rd quarter.

What happened is that Essendon were able to lock it into their forward half, and we were largely unable to clear it. We weren't getting murdered in the clearances, because there weren't many stoppages - Essendon weren't kicking goals, just lots of behinds. Adelaide's defence stood up magnificently, resulting in Essendon having poor quality F50 entries, which is why they were only scoring behinds.

There is an issue, in that we were unable to clear the ball adequately from our defensive area. Even then, there are mitigating circumstances.

The first of these is that Adelaide was up by 50 points and had suffered an injury to CC. As a result, the players collectively took their foot off the pedal. The game was won and there was no desire to do more than the minimum, in order to avoid injuries. What we saw in this quarter is that Adelaide at 85% is only marginally worse than Essendon at 100%.

The second factor is related. Pyke decided to take the opportunity to experiment with our midfield setup. We saw ruck contests being contested without Sloane & Crouch being anywhere near - instead, Mackay and Hampton were given more midfield minutes. We lost because we had our C-unit in the guts, not the A or B units.

Is the 3rd quarter a cause for concern? Yes... but it's not as bad as you're making it out to be.

FWIW, I agree with you about the April premiership not being worth a pinch of shite. Look at what happened last year. We had a great run against the top teams early in the season, only to collapse against them in September. We've started 2017 in a blaze of glory too - it remains to be seen whether we can sustain it through September this year. We failed to do so in 2016.

You just listed one midfielder who could come in and change things. Given our major problem is that too much of our midfield is all one way, and finds it extremely difficult to arrest and attain/reacquire the dominance when being beaten, how exactly is Brad Crouch, another one way midfielder, going to change that in any significant way?

Adding a fit and in form Crouch may improve us offensively, but what does that really matter when defense is the problem?
If you aren't getting enjoyment out of where we are right now, you should just walk away. Seriously.

Terrific thank you!

Centre bounces attended
Sloane 27
Crouch 27
Douglas 27
Hampton 23
Laird 8
Atkins 7

Centre clearances
Sloane 5
Hampton 2
Douglas 1
Laird 1
Crouch 0
Atkins 0

% of centre clearances won by Adelaide whilst attending
62.5 Laird
43.5 Hampton
37.0 Sloane
37.0 Douglas
33.3 Crouch
28.6 Atkins

Thoughts
Atkins can head straight back to the wing please once Brad Crouch returns (Mackay out).
More Laird please!
M Crouch worrying. This needs to be his bread and butter.
Interesting regarding Hampton, but on crouch I can remember 4-5 occasions where he got the pill after the centre bounce and farmed it wider to our wingman or the player off the back of the square who runs through. May not be credited with a clearance but is just about as effective as one. His hands in tight are A1.

Have to agree that the commentary was possibly the worst of all time. It was so bad it was like a comedy spoof of real commentary. I wish i could do my job that badly and still get paid.

We got better last year. Our start to the season wasnt that great and it took time for us to find our form
Either you weren't watching last year, or you're just indulging in some fairly major revisionism.

Adelaide lost in R1 to North - who were determined to stage an ambush, having lost in R1 for something like 8 years in a row. After that, Adelaide were red hot until we hit the Dogs & Cats in R7 & R8.

Either you weren't watching last year, or you're just indulging in some fairly major revisionism.

Adelaide lost in R1 to North - who were determined to stage an ambush, having lost in R1 for something like 8 years in a row. After that, Adelaide were red hot until we hit the Dogs & Cats in R7 & R8.

We lost to north.

Based on the melt by some over one poor quarter of footy, im really scared of the melt which will occur when we lose a game.

Things gaurenteed to be mentioned are:
1/ Mackay has to go!
2/ Greenwood is being mistreated
3/ Pyke has no tactical awareness and is a poor game day coach
4/ its Campos fault
5/ its still Nobles fault
6/ The club accepts mediocrity
7/ put a line through Kelly, Milera, Hartigan
8/ otten is slow and must go
9/ (One for the bigfooty afc heroes that show up after a loss)we were exposed as being the s**t team we all knew we are.

This will be fun.
10/ Trigg (something or other)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thats the way Essendon wanted to play always hitting the short kick. Didnt really work for them. A heap of posession going nowhere.
Yep, trying to emulate Hawthorns kick/catch movement of the last few years. Problem is, Hawks used to use it to move the ball in an attacking effort (end to end), whereas Bombers are doing it from flank to flank. Best in uncontested marks I think the Bombers are, but it's a useless stat really when it doesn't do anything to propel you forward.

We lost to north.
Demolished Port, beat Sydney & GWS, led for most of the game against Hawthorn, and beat West Coast on their home deck - that was the high point of our season, coming in R12.

North was an ambush. They hadn't won a R1 game in donkey's years, and were determined to do everything to change that. Even so, we had our chances to beat them - but kicked ourselves out of the game, not helped by playing a horribly underdone Brad Crouch.

Good: our fast start, form of Tex & Eddie.. kicking 24 goals!
Bad: 3rd quarter & points against its way too high.. we need to be keeping teams under 80 points. Talia and Hartigan were slow on Saturday night.. poor games.
Did you actually watch the game? Talia kept Hooker, pretty handy opposition, to 8 possessions and zero scores. Did what he does and did it brilliantly. Keep up mate.

Did you actually watch the game? Talia kept Hooker, pretty handy opposition, to 8 possessions and zero scores. Did what he does and did it brilliantly. Keep up mate.

Talia was awesome once again

Everyone was getting stuck into him for his s**t PS

He's a champion. He knows what he needs to do to prepare himself to smash every forward that crosses his path. He doesn't need to crush PS

Lulz:
Bombers fans will be deeply concerned by this performance. I thought I was watching Crows’ highlights instead of a live game.

Time and again the Adelaide midfield swept forward with little opposition and found either Tex Walker or Eddie Betts in so much space that it would sometimes take several minutes for an Essendon player to appear on camera.

They’re good Adelaide. They’re like Richmond, if Richmond had played good teams

https://www.titusoreily.com/afl/monday-knee-jerk-reaction-afl-round-four-2#sthash.pQ3zVP5c.dpuf

Interesting regarding Hampton, but on crouch I can remember 4-5 occasions where he got the pill after the centre bounce and farmed it wider to our wingman or the player off the back of the square who runs through. May not be credited with a clearance but is just about as effective as one. His hands in tight are A1.

Agree that Crouch is terrific by hand, but as the person who sat down and went through every stoppage on the replay, he didn't do it that often on Saturday night. That was for three reasons - firstly, Sauce didn't get as many clear tap wins as my memory suggested he had - he was beaten on the night (on that metric) by Leuenberger - so there weren't many real clean extractions by our boys. Secondly, Crouch spent a lot of effort working on his defensive duties at the centre square bounces, rather than ball chasing. Thirdly, Essendon put a lot of defensive work into Crouch at the centre bounce, possibly even more than they did to Sloane, which is a sign of respect.

If he had the handball release to the wing or a half back, I would have credited him with the clearance - as I did for example to Rory Sloane at the second bounce on the night, when it was Sloane's handball to Crouch that was the true clearance.

It was actually a really interesting exercise to break down the tape a little bit. It certainly came up with different results than my memories of the match!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back