Review Good/Bad v Fremantle, Round 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Have to remember that Tex plays a role where the other team dedicates a player and a whole strategy to negate him. He's going to have games where the other team are successful in that.

Mackay's performance is pretty much unimpeded by the other team.
Yea, I get that. Tex oozes talent and is our captain. When he doesn't play anywhere near his best he should cop some criticism. Mackay plays near his best most weeks. If anything it's the selectors who should get the criticism for selecting him week after week.

Tex has 25 goals to his name for the year.... not even half way through the season, so he is on track for 50. What has Mackay done outside of his very good game vs the Hawks?

You can have quiet games, we get that. But how often do they come around? Tex's game lats night was at the bottom of his range. That's about as bad as he gets. That was Mackay's norm. You don't get much better than that. It's not rocket science

And i would rather him have a quiet game in a 100 point belting (us doing the belting of course)
Tex has had two in the last four weeks. I know that some of it can be blamed on our mid field getting beaten but some of his efforts and disposal have been woeful.

He has a valid point.
We will be judged on how we perform next week.
Capitulate under the pressure and he is absolutely correct.

I disagree as well. Why would we not be judged on last night's game? The Crows played formidable footy in difficult conditions.
Many commentators were talking Freo up --- 6 wins out of the last 7, form team of the comp, tough midfield etc. and they had better form and ladder position than NM and Melbourne in Rounds 7 and 8.
Well, Freo have now won 6 out of their last 8 games after being belted by the Crows all over the ground but especially in the midfield. The Crows should be given credit for smacking the comp's "form team" and sending them back to Perth with, in Lyons' own words, a "football lesson".
Finally, if we buckle under the (hypothetical) pressure that the Cats will bring --- maybe --- how does that make Cornes right about the Freo game ie how does next week's result affect our appreciation for last night's excellent performance?

Yes Geelong next week is a huge test but we just obliterated one of the in form teams in the competition in every facet of the game in a game that had that type of rain we made that game look like a dry game there midfield was suppose to be so much better than ours.
Freo played poorly yes but this is because thats how we made them play. I'm sorry but you can't take anything away from the team this week plus if we kick straight thats got 150+ written all over it.
If we turn up like that on Friday and curb Selwoods influence we win by 6+ goals.

Mostly agree.
Geelong is not a one-man team, just like all of the teams in the comp.
If the Crows take last night's attitude and intent to Geelong and execute for four quarters (to the last minute), I doubt that Geelong will win, BUT, it's the Cattery and they play their home ground really well. I'm worried that Pyke may not cover their loose man behind the ball like last year and vs NM.

I clearly think we're going to lose next week, but would love more than anything to be proven wrong.
"Form" does not win the next game of footy. In fact, in this season, "form" is one of the unreliable guides. The Kangaroos had "form" going into the 1998 GF (an 11-game winning streak and two wins over the Crows that year). We had super "form" going into Round 7. If "form" was the measuring stick, Freo should have been more competitive than they were, but the determined Crows gave them no chance, not a sniff.
I think what counts is what teams do on the day, what attitude/mindset they bring, and whether they are thinking "We-should-win-this" or "We-MUST-win-this".
Like BunjiMac, I'd love for the Crows to win. Even better, to give Geelong a touch-up.

Can someone explain to me what Fremantle player No.5 is doing when Jenkins kicks his goal from around the 0:37 mark?
Yes! VERY odd.
I noticed that myself when I watched the highlight reel this morning and was wondering where/whom to ask about it.
Instead of charging Jenkins to smother or tackle, he ducks out of the way as if he was worried about being kicked into. I'll bet Lyons has chatted him about that.

Brad Crouch had the wow factor back. Some sizzling kicks and power out of a stoppage :fire:

He looked like a different player than a few weeks ago. Hope he's just finding confidence and it's all upwards from here and stays pretty much injury free for the rest of his career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes! VERY odd.
I noticed that myself when I watched the highlight reel this morning and was wondering where/whom to ask about it.
Instead of charging Jenkins to smother or tackle, he ducks out of the way as if he was worried about being kicked into. I'll bet Lyons has chatted him about that.
I didn't notice at the game, but given Ibbotson is on the cusp of being dropped, it may be a very poor career move for him.

Tex seems to have lost confidence. I said last year that the Phil Walsh murder may have had a huge effect on him. It's either that or something else is bugging him. He goes missing so often he's beginning to look like Tredrea.
OR... he's playing his role. Taking the best defender away from the pack. Seems to me he's doing what he needs to do. With a forward line like we've got, we aren't reliant on the Texan to kick a bag. We had 5 players kick more than 3 goals. He did his job.

I sat there for the first time in a very long time on Saturday night not getting stressed and annoyed.. from the first bounce I was chilled sitting there undercover at AO :)
only thing that was worrying me a bit was the amount of behinds we kept getting but that first 5 mins after half time was party time.
Tex is a worry.. body language and form is down..

I sat there for the first time in a very long time on Saturday night not getting stressed and annoyed.. from the first bounce I was chilled sitting there undercover at AO :)
only thing that was worrying me a bit was the amount of behinds we kept getting but that first 5 mins after half time was party time.
Tex is a worry.. body language and form is down..

The behinds were to be expected in those conditions, have you every tried kicking a footy in those conditions, I think it was Cameron couldnt make the distance from 35 M in the first

OR... he's playing his role. Taking the best defender away from the pack. Seems to me he's doing what he needs to do. With a forward line like we've got, we aren't reliant on the Texan to kick a bag. We had 5 players kick more than 3 goals. He did his job.

This is a rose-coloured-glasses view. In fact, he is definitely not playing his role. He is making one effort at the ball, and when it hits the ground he is useless at present, with an automatic rebound for the oppo. There are no second and third efforts. This is exactly why he was dropped by Craig in his early career. Even the adoring commentators noted that he was "spectating". He was certainly good at the start of the year, but the current malaise started around the North match. I'm hoping it's due to an injury problem, rather than laziness, but this has to be called out, not ignored or rationalized, like you have done. It's not a good look from a captain/leader when he is spectating.

Bad: the amount of times Roo says "Pav" looking for his approval.
He's just trying to get Pav into the swing of things as a commentator. Trying to help out by "passing the mic" to him.

Pav's not bad, but he is new, and as such is being deferential to the other commentators. Roo's giving him his turn.

Out of his own lips he has said he wants to stay.
We just need to find a way to pay him what he's worth. And that's a lot... but he's worth it.

This is a rose-coloured-glasses view. In fact, he is definitely not playing his role. He is making one effort at the ball, and when it hits the ground he is useless at present, with an automatic rebound for the oppo. There are no second and third efforts.
That was my issue with his game too. Couple of times he just stood off a contest where the ball was loose. He might not have won the ball, or even caused a stoppage, but not trying is poo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back