Review Good/Bad v Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Bryce Gibbs is challenging his fine, the one where Joel Selwood dives like a little bitch

All Bryce did was brace himself. If you're dumb enough to run chest first into a brick wall and fall back on your arse, can you really lay any blame on the brick wall? :think:

Hey Purple, is that a sliding door? :think:

Coaches votes are odd

Adelaide v Geelong
9 –Rory Laird (Adelaide) 5/4
5 –Rory Sloane (Adelaide) 5
5 –Tom Lynch (Adelaide) 4/1
5 –Wayne Milera (Adelaide) 3/2
3 –Joel Selwood (Geelong) 3
2 –Patrick Dangerfield (Geelong) 2
1 –Tom Hawkins (Geelong) 1

Scott *
Laird
Lynch
Selwood
Milera
Hawkins

Pyke *
Sloane
Laird
Milera
Dangerfield
Lynch

Doesnt make sense and it can be moved around a little but thats the basics * my guesses

Last edited:
I find it interesting that Dangerfield didn't get any from Scott and only 2 from Pyke yet according to all Victorian media - ABC Grandstand, Triple M, SEN, Footy Show - he was best on ground.
Sorry I should edit. Thats my guesses.

I find it interesting that Dangerfield didn't get any from Scott and only 2 from Pyke yet according to all Victorian media - ABC Grandstand, Triple M, SEN, Footy Show - he was best on ground.

To be fair, he had one hell of a game. He was a standout player. He just didnt have enough mates. Geelong won't be too upset about the loss. They went away from home and got close to 100 points. Their main issue is that they got so heavily scored against and that comes down to the pressure that their star studded midfield wasnt able to apply. We had the same issue. We played at home so we both pretty much walk away from the game with the same positives and same negatives.

Dunno. They crushed us in clearances, Hawkins and Dangerfield dominated, Ablett and Selwood had excellent games....and they lost. Their top players all being in great form won't happen every game so they would be pretty disappointed to lose a game that they were.

Yeah. Both clubs have a lot to do.

Dunno. They crushed us in clearances, Hawkins and Dangerfield dominated, Ablett and Selwood had excellent games....and they lost. Their top players all being in great form won't happen every game so they would be pretty disappointed to lose a game that they were.

Lesson: You can't play Wylie Buzza and expect to win

Yeah. Both clubs have a lot to do.
For sure, but we learnt nothing about them we didn't already know. Gun midfield, so-so defence and 1 good forward

We were by far the best team on the night, but they had 3 of the best 5 players.

The ugly thing I saw at the football the other night was a security guard harassing indigenous kids.

It was just a few minutes before opening bounce and 3 of them were leaning up against the rail on the walkway at GA, watching the last of the warm up. They were watching Eddy betts who was mostly warming up right in front of them

The security guard walked straight past two white kids doing the same behind the goals and asked the indigenous to move on.

He then lurked were they were, looking around ignoring the white kids he walked past to tell the indigenous to move on. I took his number and made serious eye contact with him when he looked my way.

He got the message and then moved the white kids along just before the game started. Gave them as much time as possible

He never looked anywhere me for the rest of the night

As I understand it. There is CCTV coverage of that area.

Does anyone believe anything you say?

To be fair, he had one hell of a game. He was a standout player. He just didnt have enough mates.
It's your classic case of "does the result impact who played the best individual game?"

Danger basically played the footy equivalent of hitting a 100 in a losing side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Glad Bryce is contesting it, hopefully the tribunal fines Selwood for diving.

Pretty sure the Tribunal would cause a black hole if that happened. Captain Courageous, the bravest man to ever walk on to a football field, a diver?! They're between a rock and a hard place here. Do they uphold Bryce's fine for basically bracing into Selwood, or they waive the fine and all but admit that Selwood is a soft, diving pansy?

Pretty sure the Tribunal would cause a black hole if that happened. Captain Courageous, the bravest man to ever walk on to a football field, a diver?! They're between a rock and a hard place here. Do they uphold Bryce's fine for basically bracing into Selwood, or they waive the fine and all but admit that Selwood is a soft, diving pansy?
It is a dilemma.
1.Bryce is innocent as vision clearly shows.
2.Selwood would look like a cheat and Christian an incompetent and favours Vic sides.

I think No2 as AFL sticks by its boys. Steve Hocking will tell them how to vote.

Knowing the AFL they'll slap Bryce with a 5 week ban, suspend one of our coaches and strip us of draft picks

I felt Geelong played as good as they could against us. Won all their strength areas.

Yet we had the game on our terms and beat them regardless of how well they played.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Knowing the AFL they'll slap Bryce with a 5 week ban, suspend one of our coaches and strip us of draft picks
"We have reviewed the footage and on closer inspection we've found that Bryce elected to bump, and collected Selwood in the head. Selwood's head was lower than usual but this was due to his "natural gait".

It has been scientifically proven that Joel Selwood is the toughest substance in the world, and owing to his courageous nature, has never exaggerated any contact whatsoever. Therefore we can conclude that in order to put Selwood on the ground for 2 minutes, Bryce must have hit him with a force close to, or in excess of, 1.8 Meganewtons (roughly equivalent to the force of a space shuttle on launch).

Therefore our only avenue of action is to suspend him for the remainder of the 2018 season, with the option of extension pending medical investigations into the lasting health effects on Selwood as a result of this horrific bump."

I felt Geelong played as good as they could against us. Won all their strength areas.

Yet we had the game on our terms and beat them regardless of how well they played.

We shouldn’t forget that we won at home. They smashed us in the clearances which is something that won’t hold up. Wouldn’t go into a final at the G thinking we have their number just yet.

I said the same thing the week before, that we shouldn’t lose all hope because we lost to Richmond at the G. We only need to beat them at the G once and last week wasn’t the time to do it. Hopefully 2 months from now.

We need to win our home games, win a 50/50 in Canberra and beat 2 of the bottom 4 sides away. It’s doable.

"Therefore our only avenue of action is to suspend him for the remainder of the 2018 season, with the option of extension pending medical investigations into the lasting health effects on Selwood as a result of this horrific bump."
In breaking news Joel Selwoods head is so tough he doesnt get concussions and he only ducks to protect his very weak neck structure

We shouldn’t forget that we won at home. They smashed us in the clearances which is something that won’t hold up. Wouldn’t go into a final at the G thinking we have their number just yet.

I said the same thing the week before, that we shouldn’t lose all hope because we lost to Richmond at the G. We only need to beat them at the G once and last week wasn’t the time to do it. Hopefully 2 months from now.

We need to win our home games, win a 50/50 in Canberra and beat 2 of the bottom 4 sides away. It’s doable.
Clearances are not everything when you have a strong performance from your HB line.

That is our strength. Laird, Cheney Seed and Milera provided a lot of positive movement from HB/Wing.

Clearances are not everything when you have a strong performance from your HB line.

That is our strength. Laird, Cheney Seed and Milera provided a lot of positive movement from HB/Wing.

Fetta has been great since being back in the team. Works really well with the rest of the defenders and has probably squeezed Kelly on to the wing.

I got the feeling that though they've changed personnel, they haven't changed their structure enough to match it.

We went through years where we'd get the ball to about centre half back and bomb it forward for Taylor, Enright, Mackie, Henderson and friends to raffle it and cut us up on the rebound.

When we finally won in Round 18 last year, we'd adjusted. We were prepared to go shorter coming out of defence, and work around the outside of their zone. I'm pretty sure we also decided that it doesn't matter if we don't take a mark in the forward lines, as long as they didn't take one in defence. Make it chaotic in our forward 50 and don't let them control the ball.

So from last year our smalls and midfielders started to be very important forwards. Round 18 - Douglas 4, Sloane 3, Cameron and Brown all goaled. PF - Cameron 5, Betts 2, Seed 2, MCrouch 1, Knight 1. Thursday - Murphy 3, Gallucci 2, Betts, Brown, Atkins and Sloane.

Meanwhile, Geelong have lost Enright, Mackie and Lonergan over the past 18 months; Taylor and Henderson are limping around mainly in the 2s; and so Geelong are creating a new backline. But they are still using their old structures as far as I can see.

The trouble for Geelong is that some of their forwards and midfields don't work hard enough defensively as previous generations did, so their zone is more vulnerable; and Blicavs is still learning how to play as a key defender - while he did some good things on Thursday night, he also got outfoxed by both Murphy and Jenkins at different times in the 3rd that cost them the sort of goals that they wouldn't have coughed up 18 months ago. Having an extra number back rather than leaving a newish defender isolated would probably have served them well.

Yes, I was surprised to see the stats until I realised that we were making up for losing clearances by beating them on the outside / spreading better / mopping up at half back and setting up from there. Which used to be every week for us, this year not so much.

When you're seeing that throughout the game you kind of forget the actual clearances.

That's not going to win a flag by itself but it's good to see that part of our game back.

I also think that's how Freo beat Port. I haven't seen the stats, but it seems to me that Port were winning on the inside but had nothing / no legs on the outside, while Freo players were buzzing around like blue-arsed flies.

I got the feeling that though they've changed personnel, they haven't changed their structure enough to match it.

We went through years where we'd get the ball to about centre half back and bomb it forward for Taylor, Enright, Mackie, Henderson and friends to raffle it and cut us up on the rebound.

When we finally won in Round 18 last year, we'd adjusted. We were prepared to go shorter coming out of defence, and work around the outside of their zone. I'm pretty sure we also decided that it doesn't matter if we don't take a mark in the forward lines, as long as they didn't take one in defence. Make it chaotic in our forward 50 and don't let them control the ball.

So from last year our smalls and midfielders started to be very important forwards. Round 18 - Douglas 4, Sloane 3, Cameron and Brown all goaled. PF - Cameron 5, Betts 2, Seed 2, MCrouch 1, Knight 1. Thursday - Murphy 3, Gallucci 2, Betts, Brown, Atkins and Sloane.

Meanwhile, Geelong have lost Enright, Mackie and Lonergan over the past 18 months; Taylor and Henderson are limping around mainly in the 2s; and so Geelong are creating a new backline. But they are still using their old structures as far as I can see.

The trouble for Geelong is that some of their forwards and midfields don't work hard enough defensively as previous generations did, so their zone is more vulnerable; and Blicavs is still learning how to play as a key defender - while he did some good things on Thursday night, he also got outfoxed by both Murphy and Jenkins at different times in the 3rd that cost them the sort of goals that they wouldn't have coughed up 18 months ago. Having an extra number back rather than leaving a newish defender isolated would probably have served them well.
Geelong were ranked the #1 defensive side going into last week. That's not the result of a team whose mids and forwards don't work hard enough with a bunch of inexperienced defenders!! Think you need to take another look at your analysis to be honest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back