Review Good/Bad v Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong were ranked the #1 defensive side going into last week. That's not the result of a team whose mids and forwards don't work hard enough with a bunch of inexperienced defenders!! Think you need to take another look at your analysis to be honest.

They've built that record largely off strangulation at Kardinia Park. They concede 56 points per game down at the Cattery and 80 points a game at other venues.

They don't put the pressure that they used to in their forward lines. Narkle, Menzel and Hawkins had one tackle each (Buzza had 4). Defensively, Menzel makes Atkins look like Talia. Ablett has slipped from his career average of 4.3 tackles per game to under 3 this year, and seems to pick and choose his times to defend. Guthrie is way way down from his career average of 3.8 per game - he's had 8 tackles in 6 games. Duncan's a very good player, but at under 3.5 tackles per game he's no Bartel (4.3) or Kelly (4.77).

What's also clear is that the 2018 Cats can't afford to get into a shoot out. They've scored over 100 points 4 times - and lost two of them. If Max Gawn could have kicked straight in the last minute in Round 1, they would have lost 4 of their 6 highest scoring games. They need to make the games tight, contested and ugly, because when it gets outside or in to the rear of their zone, they don't get there in numbers to sort things out.

They've built that record largely off strangulation at Kardinia Park. They concede 56 points per game down at the Cattery and 80 points a game at other venues.

They don't put the pressure that they used to in their forward lines. Narkle, Menzel and Hawkins had one tackle each (Buzza had 4). Defensively, Menzel makes Atkins look like Talia. Ablett has slipped from his career average of 4.3 tackles per game to under 3 this year, and seems to pick and choose his times to defend. Guthrie is way way down from his career average of 3.8 per game - he's had 8 tackles in 6 games. Duncan's a very good player, but at under 3.5 tackles per game he's no Bartel (4.3) or Kelly (4.77).

What's also clear is that the 2018 Cats can't afford to get into a shoot out. They've scored over 100 points 4 times - and lost two of them. If Max Gawn could have kicked straight in the last minute in Round 1, they would have lost 4 of their 6 highest scoring games. They need to make the games tight, contested and ugly, because when it gets outside or in to the rear of their zone, they don't get there in numbers to sort things out.
Sorry I have to disagree on your analysis I've seen most of their games and defensively they are still absolutely among the best in the comp. Mostly it is structural so I can give you some level of agreement on the pressure side of things but ultimately they don't get scored on too badly. Hell your own mention of 80 points away from the Cattery is pretty solid. We are living proof of what type scores you get kicked against you when the mids and forwards dont work back hard enough even if it's just to set up and fill gaps.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Midfield frequency stats from the game.

There were 33 bounces

M.Crouch 26
Knight 25
Atkins 24 wing
Sloane 20
Seedsman 19 wing
Kelly 17 wing
Gibbs 15
Greenwood 12
Milera 6 wing

Rucks:
Jacobs 28
Jenkins 5

Notes:
- First time in 3 years of doing this, where Gibbs has played and didn't make his team's top 6 mids.
- Most ever appearances for Knight in an analysed match. His previous high was 14 in Round 19, 2017.
- Surprisingly with Atkins back, Kelly actually attended a higher percentage of bounces this week than last.
- Most wing appearances for Milera since Round 5
- On one occasion, you only started with 2 inside mids at a bounce
Interesting stats.
Didn't Knight tag one of the Selwoods?
Not sure what Pyke was doing with Gibbs, anybody?

Interesting stats.
Didn't Knight tag one of the Selwoods?
Not sure what Pyke was doing with Gibbs, anybody?
Gibbs started forward & rotated with Sloane on ball, then when back for little while.

Could be carrying an injury as we played him in a lesser role or we were just trying different things.

Gibbs started forward & rotated with Sloane on ball, then when back for little while.
Could be carrying an injury as we played him in a lesser role or we were just trying different things.
Thanks for that.
Quite a few posters seem to think we paid overs for Gibbs but he looks like a thinking footballer to me. Gibbs' close-in evasive skills are elite. Looks composed and like he has plenty of time.

Thanks for that.
Quite a few posters seem to think we paid overs for Gibbs but he looks like a thinking footballer to me. Gibbs' close-in evasive skills are elite. Looks composed and like he has plenty of time.

He is certainly smooth, and doesn't panic under pressure: we need more of this in our side. My main concerns with him are disposal efficiency and the fact that he doesn't seem to pick the side up and drag them over the line in times of adversity, such as Sloane can do.

He is certainly smooth, and doesn't panic under pressure: we need more of this in our side. My main concerns with him are disposal efficiency and the fact that he doesn't seem to pick the side up and drag them over the line in times of adversity, such as Sloane can do.

I hoping that his disposal efficiency corrects itself a tad, however it may not as a combination of playing more inside then he did at Carlton (seeing an increase in clearances, and contested disposals per game) and averaging +400m gained per games. Combine those two and it's certainly a very rare player to come up with a flattering %DE.

He has rather quietly put in a pretty good season statistically, which is what we paid for. Hopefully he and Sloane stay fit next season and around this level (both should).

1) ... doesn't panic under pressure: we need more of this in our side.
2) My main concerns with him are disposal efficiency and the fact that he doesn't seem to pick the side up and drag them over the line in times of adversity, such as Sloane can do.
1) Yes! This type of player is an asset in any side and tends to be the most damaging, especially defenders. When I watch AFL in general I'm always impressed by the calmness that most defenders show to get the ball out of tricky situations and back upfield. I often think "Bloody hell, how'd they get out of that? :eek:". For us, Laird, Talia, Doedee, and Super Smithers all excel. Milera's getting there :thumbsu:. Poholke, not so much :(. Hampton, probably never :poo:.
2) Not many players in any side can do this.

View attachment 528835

Right there it was obvious the AFL had no case. Selwood could also have gone 5m either side.
That's amazing.

The "Players must stay 5 metres away from Joel Selwood at all times" Rule

The Crows should be able to sue Michael Christian directly for wasting everyone's ****ing time.

That's amazing.

The "Players must stay 5 metres away from Joel Selwood at all times" Rule

The Crows should be able to sue Michael Christian directly for wasting everyone's ****ing time.

At the least we should be entitled to recover our legal costs directly from him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back