Review Good/Bad v GWS, Round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Amazing - Kelly's sledge

GWS forward Steve Johnson is well known for his sledging on the field, but Taylor Walker has revealed that Adelaide defender Jake Kelly got the better of him on the weekend.

Johnson is managed by Kelly's father, former Collingwood defender Craig.

"He (Kelly) said, 'Steve, don't talk to me like that mate. You've been paying for my business class tickets to Europe for the past six years',"

"I think Steve put his head down and walked off. He said 'that's one of the best, young fella'."

https://www.facebook.com/TheAFLupdate/

No no you've claimed a pattern. I've challenged you to cite ANOTHER incident.

I will concede that numbers wise he did not spend the majority of his time in the midfield in the SANFL last year. But it was clearly a target to transition him to midfield and his time increased there the more games he played. Hampton himself has also talked about asking our coaches last year to give him a shot in the midfield.

You've answered your own question and debunked everything you've said previously in one sentence.

You are Marty Mk.2 and I'm not wasting any more of my time with your bullshit and spoiling this thread for other participants.

Yes. Particularly if he were a player as oft injured as Deledio who wasn't even recruited with the expectation of being fit for every round

From memory Gibbs needs to play 38 games over the next 2 years to have played the same amount of games as Deledio had at the same stage. Dids' injury history is way overplayed. It's just much more noticable because their record without him was terrible as far as I can remember. Whereas nobody notices much when Gibbs misses a couple. Probably because he plays at Carlton and they've been irrelevant for the better part of a decade.

You've answered your own question and debunked everything you've said previously in one sentence.

You are Marty Mk.2 and I'm not wasting any more of my time with your bullshit and spoiling this thread for other participants.

AKA you made a false accusation and rather than man up and admit it you're doubling down.

I however was willing to admit to making a mistake and correcting myself. The main substance of my argument however still being true.

Enjoy your Pyrrhic victory but know the next time you make personal attacks I'll call your bullshit just as hard as I did here.

He played mid the majority of the SANFL last year.

Why are you bringing up Lyons? we're discussing Hampton. Attempt to deflect here ignored.

NO he did not. Hampton Played 9 SANFL games last year mainly off the Half Back in a Smith type role he also had stints as a 1 on 1 defender. yes the was a couple of times he started in the middle but he moved quickly to the defensive side of the play, And yes I watched every one of his SANFL games,

NO he did not. Hampton Played 9 SANFL games last year mainly off the Half Back in a Smith type role he also had stints as a 1 on 1 defender. yes the was a couple of times he started in the middle but he moved quickly to the defensive side of the play, And yes I watched every one of his SANFL games,

Yes read the entire thread before commenting. I have admitted to being wrong about this already.

Yes read the entire thread before commenting. I have admitted to being wrong about this already.
I did and replied because you did not admit to being wrong, the closed you got was to admitting an error was 2 mins before I posted and that post was not displayed on my page.

I seem to recall the coaches saying Thommo was not guaranteed game time in the AFL this season and IMO it was as much about loyalty to a great warrior of the club and Thommo transitioning into a coaching role moreso than a playing role. Almost all of the midfielders especially the younger ones interviewed over the pre-season said they were working with Thommo on midfield structures etc. Once Thommo gets fit and healthy I still think he's handy depth should we need to call on him at some stage.
Like I said, loyalty and sentiment. If he's a coach, employ him as one. Use the spot on the list for someone who can contribute more meaningfully on the field.

Amazing - Kelly's sledge

GWS forward Steve Johnson is well known for his sledging on the field, but Taylor Walker has revealed that Adelaide defender Jake Kelly got the better of him on the weekend.

Johnson is managed by Kelly's father, former Collingwood defender Craig.

"He (Kelly) said, 'Steve, don't talk to me like that mate. You've been paying for my business class tickets to Europe for the past six years',"

"I think Steve put his head down and walked off. He said 'that's one of the best, young fella'."

https://www.facebook.com/TheAFLupdate/

I like the boy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But still on our list. So there was obviously room for some slower players in our midfield group and we went for one who's so close to retired he's effectively a coach. I don't have a problem with reshaping our list but why keep Thommo and not Lyons?
You know the answer to that the same as I do.
Whether we like it or not loyalty to a club champion obviously came into it, that along with he obviously offered more than Lyons in a mentoring role I would think.

Except he isn't coaching he's on our AFL list
You obviously missed the press statement around his new contract, where Thommo's primary role is as a development coach in the sanfl & that he is only an emergency back-up option playing afl if we have numerous key midfielders out.

Hence last week he was playing on a HBF shouting instructions to a young backline.

But still on our list. So there was obviously room for some slower players in our midfield group and we went for one who's so close to retired he's effectively a coach. I don't have a problem with reshaping our list but why keep Thommo and not Lyons?
Because Thommo is seen as a back-up emergency that hopefully won't be needed if we don't have injuries... whereas we see other younger players ahead of Lyons.

For the record Harrison Wigg is probably ahead of Jarryd Lyons in his development cycle at the same stage of their careers and I'll be surprised if he's not next man up unless Poholke or Gullucci come on quicker than expected.

Of course they are. That's obvious. But is Thommo a better 'back-up emergency' than Lyons would have been?
Not IMO, but I gather Pyke didn't see Lyons as a long term fit for Adelaide, so decided to trade him.

Just for the hell of it, I watched the 3rd quarter again.
I didn't quite realise it, but after getting 2 goals in the first part (Cameron, Menzel) in the last 11 minutes of game time we went:
  • Mcgovern
  • Cameron
  • Knight
  • Douglas
  • Douglas
  • Smith
We also kicked 3 points in there I think. That's a goal every 1 minute and 50 seconds. Talk about a purple patch.
(And GWS kicked 4 out of their butts in that period too, all freaky 40 metre dobs around the body from 40m out. wtf).

You know the answer to that the same as I do.
Whether we like it or not loyalty to a club champion obviously came into it, that along with he obviously offered more than Lyons in a mentoring role I would think.

I've oftened posted that it was a gold watch extension. Fact is we didn't plan to go as deep as we did and still had a spare spot. It's no secret that I'd prefer Lyons on the list than Thommo, but it's clear the coaching group didn't rate him. If they had, he'd have been offerred a contract that he could actually sign. Personally, I think Thommo continually stating he wanted to play on was the height of self before team. But that's what made him such an enormous warrior for us over such a long time. And it's not up to him to tap himself on the shoulder. But he is cooked and unlike others, I'm comfortable with him taking a spot on the list. But I do not trust Campo and Doc to not be in selection committee this week stating that we'd be improved further with Thommo's experience and bulk at the contest. And modern management principles don't afford Pyke the right to tell them that they're delusional.

You obviously missed the press statement around his new contract, where Thommo's primary role is as a development coach in the sanfl & that he is only an emergency back-up option playing afl if we have numerous key midfielders out.

Hence last week he was playing on a HBF shouting instructions to a young backline.

What the screw would Thommo know about standing behind the ball whilst being responsible for an opponent and watching the play come at you? He's got some experience, but schooling the backline isn't amongst his skill set.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back