Review Good/Bad v Port, R20 2018: Post Mortem

Did the ball hit the post?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

That's exactly right

It always 'looks' like a ball has changed its spin after it has been obscured by a post. It's because it disappears for a couple of frames so the continuity of its spin is broken up.

That's true. The other complicating factor is that the camera is panning up, and slightly across. The camera moves ever so slightly during the frames where the ball is obscured.

So the brain has to process the movement of the ball, the movement of the frame of reference, and the obscuring of the ball by the post.

This isn't a DRS or Hawkeye system based on fixed cameras.

You missed the point. I agree with the decision of the review umpire. In 20 seconds they wouldn't have had time to analyse this and capture the right view to see it.

What I'm saying is watching that GIF on replay makes it clear it did hit the post. The ball clearly changes direction and changes it's spin from sideways spinning to a vertical float. Even though this is a low quality gif it is still obvious.

So from here we have to say we know it hit the post, so what do we have to do to fix this in the future, new technology, 4 goal umpires, do we just allow goals in this circumstance, or do we give reviewers more time.

Every impartial person I've shown this to, rugby fans, soccer fans, etc all said they think it hit the post. So rather than burying our heads in the sand we should acknowledge it and see what we can do in the future to prevent it happening again.

I personally think changing the rule to ignore clipped post goals would be a good idea.
No, you missed the point - it is not 100% clear that the ball hit the post definitively.

This is getting weird but the gif below seems to show that there was a deviation but after it passes the post. Since the ball seems to be at the apex of its path just after passing the post so its vertical speed is zero, I wonder if a chance gust could make the ball float up a bit (or maybe aliens, yes it must be aliens).

It was probably due to the wind created by all the Crows fans rising to their feet, screaming and waving their arms around. OR ... the huge sigh of sadness and resignation from the Power fans.

It's irrelevant now, but there's no way you can watch this GIF and say it didn't hit the post..

Yes
Yes there is
It was a goal
Umpire called it
Review called it
Crowd behind the goals called it
“The Port Guy “ as Gil called him cracked the sads

And most importantly the scoreboard called it

There are a gazillion other s**t decisions made in every game that impact on the result.

Focusing on this is just crap.
Move on for Gods sake

This Hombsch reaction you are talking about was discussed on 5AA tonight when Hombsch appeared and said "The ball hit the post". The same reaction that several of our players had on the bench, the same reaction that Jenkins had when he said to Galucci it hit the post and then again in the interview, and the same reaction that anyone would have when they look at that GIF and it becomes 100% clear it definitely clipped the post.
i heard that on 5aa last night and it was clear he was re writing history there.

Hombsch - "yeah my first thought was that it hit the post"
Rowe - "then why did your shoulders drop, why didn't you remonstrate with the goal umpire? (or something to that effect)
Hombsch - "once it's called a goal you can't really change the umps mind....."

this is when any normal interviewer should have jumped in with...

"But he hadn't made up his mind clearly, as he called for the goal review....???, so what you are trying to claim is complete and utter bullshit isnt it. you thought at the time it was a goal, and only now after sulking in the 'worlds out to get us' bath water like the rest of your navel gazing club from the top down, you've re-imagined that you clearly saw it hit the post. Spare me Hombsch. Has anyone bothered to get Wines opinion on whether this apparent injustice cost you the game or is he still not to keen to look anyone in the eye?"

ba4.jpg
Bloody funny. Explains a lot :D.

O wise and learned One, I've just noticed this:
"You raise your sticks and cry, and I fall, Oh, my friend, How did you come, to trade the fiddle for the drum?
You say I have turned, like the enemies you've earned, but I can remember, all the good things you are,
And so I ask you please, can I help you find the peace and the star?
Oh, my friend, What time is this, to trade the handshake for the fist? "
Followed by "Both sides, now". Loooove that album :rainbow:.

Focusing on this is just crap.
Move on for Gods sake

Counterpoint: it's terribly amusing to me, to have Port people will wailing and gnashing their teeth about it, so I'm happy for them not to move on

Counterpoint: it's terribly amusing to me, to have Port people will wailing and gnashing their teeth about it, so I'm happy for them not to move on

It is funny
:D:D:D

I’m just sick of the “you can see it definitely hit the post “ bullshit

The sooking though, is FANTASTIC !
I almost wish it HAD hit the post !!!!
1BD5A72B-6D25-4F3D-B11C-A9D7D3D0FEB8.gif

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This Hombsch reaction you are talking about was discussed on 5AA tonight when Hombsch appeared and said "The ball hit the post". The same reaction that several of our players had on the bench, the same reaction that Jenkins had when he said to Galucci it hit the post and then again in the interview, and the same reaction that anyone would have when they look at that GIF and it becomes 100% clear it definitely clipped the post.
What about the two times Homsch clearly pulled Jenkins guernsey as Jenkins ran back on to the lose ball, which were missed by the umpire? if it wasn’t for them, Jenkins would have had a 5 meter advantage and probably ran into an open goal.

Are people making as big a deal about that mistake, or do we all realise that mistakes are made?

What about the two times Homsch clearly pulled Jenkins guernsey as Jenkins ran back on to the lose ball, which were missed by the umpire? if it wasn’t for them, Jenkins would have had a 5 meter advantage and probably ran into an open goal.

Are people making as big a deal about that mistake, or do we all realise that mistakes are made?

And the push in the back on Betts.

It's irrelevant now, but there's no way you can watch this GIF and say it didn't hit the post.

Yes the umpire didn't have a great view, and yes it would've been tough to overturn, but with the benefit of more time, and a good replaying piece of vision like this it is 100% clear it has hit the post. It's trajectory changes from curling more and more left, to a straight line, and the ball changes from spinning sideways, to more of a vertical float.

Anyway, congrats on the win, you deserved it and should've put it to bed in the 2nd and 3rd when you were all over us. Even if it was a point I firmly believe you would've still scored a goal and won from the kick in anyway.

Are you familiar with the term ‘cognitive dissonance’ ?

I think you’re a lot more familiar than you realise.

It’s beyond bonkers the level of certainty you have in a gif

Funny that the Puffers are focusing on the Jenkins goal, and ignoring that, if we were down, Sloane would have run into an open goal to kick the winner, but passed off because we were ahead.

The Jenkins goal is a deflection of the biggest magnitude.

Back