• Wayne Milera

• Darcy Fogarty

• Brodie Smith

• James Borlase

• Reilly O'Brien

• Mark Keane

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Fans are legit bragging about our 1 from five in non showdown match ups against Collingwood, Brisbane, Melbourne because we got to honourable loss status.
There is a group that are very upbeat about those close losses and while I'm not one of them I can see why they are --- general optimism and hope and a kind of pride that those teams are not beating us as badly as they used to, nor like teams around us on the ladder. Not just that, the close losses are signs of player/team improvement. I'd much rather watch the 2023 Crows than the dispirited rabble of 2020/21.
Personally, I hate those close losses :rage::grimacing:, especially when they're on the back of sloppy goalkicking and other opportunities not taken/executed,
BUT ...
Loser energy just wafts around this club like a stench.
the above is relentlessly, belligerently over-the-top pessimism.
What you can smell is your unnecessary scorn for other Crows supporters' who don't bag the players as often and as harshly as you. That sounds like an attack on you, but it's not; for all I know, you might be a top bloke who just looks at Footy/the Crows very darkly. It's about the tone of some of, though not all of, your posts.
Instead of mocking and whingeing about their optimism and hope, I think there's merit in thinking that their hearts and energy are in the right place, if not a tad overly so, but --- meh --- each to one's own.
They are not celebrating the close loss; they are celebrating the improvement!
We beat Melbourne in 2021. This isn't even sn improvement.
Until the 2017 PF, we hadn't beaten the Cats over a period of many years, but we thumped them.
It'll come around, again, and not just beating Melbourne.
When we do, will you celebrate with the rest of us, or find something else about the win/s not to your liking?
Constantly losing games because senior players won't take responsibility to execute the skill of goal kicking is more fun to some than others I suppose.
This made me wonder if you've played competitive team sport eg Cricket, AFL, basketball, soccer, squash.
Did you ever make a mistake, ever? Ever miss a shot for goal, drop a catch, mis-kick, make a bad pass, etc?
If you did, did you mean to stuff up? :confusedv1:
I played all of those and made plenty of errors, sometimes at crucial times. Everybody does.
Our senior players make mistakes, but they do not mean to. Not ever. Mistakes are made; s**t happens.
Boiling it down to "senior players won't take responsibility to execute the skill of goal kicking" is unfair blaming and an oversimplification. There are thousands of variables that cause a loss, even a close one. Tex is one of our best senior players, without whose 65 goals we'd be bottom-4, probably, and he misses shots for goal, too. Our Senior players are not hopeless; our juniors are not perfect.
Our Junior players make mistakes too and have missed a number of gettable shots for goal.

We've lost winnable games on the back of some poor goalkicking and I hate that. I really do.
But railing angrily against fellow Crows fans who are more forgiving/hopeful/optimistic than you?
I wouldn't mind being as kind and tolerant as them, tbh.

What's your issue with Milera?

He's been good after the 1st month.
I thought he was down last week, but has been otherwise good for the last couple of months. Happy to be proven wrong regarding him.

Don’t have an issue, more of an issue with Smith. Plays an unaccountable game while more responsibility seems to fall on juniors.
Just asking as you grouped the 2.

Imo, both Milera & Hinge have stood up across HB & it's been good to move Smith to a wing.

There is a group that are very upbeat about those close losses and while I'm not one of them I can see why they are --- general optimism and hope and a kind of pride that those teams are not beating us as badly as they used to, nor like teams around us on the ladder. Not just that, the close losses are signs of player/team improvement. I'd much rather watch the 2023 Crows than the dispirited rabble of 2020/21.
Personally, I hate those close losses :rage::grimacing:, especially when they're on the back of sloppy goalkicking and other opportunities not taken/executed,
BUT ...

What you can smell is your unnecessary scorn for other Crows supporters' who don't bag the players as often and as harshly as you. That sounds like an attack on you, but it's not; for all I know, you might be a top bloke who just looks at Footy/the Crows very darkly. It's about the tone of some of, though not all of, your posts.
Instead of mocking and whingeing about their optimism and hope, I think there's merit in thinking that their hearts and energy are in the right place, if not a tad overly so, but --- meh --- each to one's own.

Until the 2017 PF, we hadn't beaten the Cats over a period of many years, but we thumped them.
When we do, will you celebrate with the rest of us, or find something else about the win/s not to your liking?

This made me wonder if you've played competitive team sport eg Cricket, AFL, basketball, soccer, squash.
Did you ever make a mistake, ever? Ever miss a shot for goal, drop a catch, mis-kick, make a bad pass, etc?
I played all of those and made plenty of errors, sometimes at crucial times. Everybody does.
Our senior players make mistakes, but they do not mean to. Not ever. Mistakes are made; s**t happens.
Boiling it down to "senior players won't take responsibility to execute the skill of goal kicking" is unfair blaming and an oversimplification. There are thousands of variables that cause a loss, even a close one. Tex is one of our best senior players, without whose 65 goals we'd be bottom-4, probably, and he misses shots for goal, too. Our Senior players are not hopeless; our juniors are not perfect.
Our Junior players make mistakes too and have missed a number of gettable shots for goal.

We've lost winnable games on the back of some poor goalkicking and I hate that. I really do.
But railing angrily against fellow Crows fans who are more forgiving/hopeful/optimistic than you?

How do you manage to produce such lengthy posts, responding to each sentence with a paragraph and yet say nothing worth engaging with?

How do you manage to produce such lengthy posts, responding to each sentence with a paragraph and yet say nothing worth engaging with?
I believe solidly that your inability to engage with anything I said, or asked you, is not my problem.

"Did you ever play sport?"
"Did you ever make a mistake, not just in sport but life generally?"
"Did you mean to make those mistakes?"
were all designed to engage
AND
asked you to think about your attacks on players who make those mistakes and supporters who accept them.

I believe solidly that your inability to engage with anything I said, or asked you, is not my problem.

"Did you ever play sport?"
"Did you ever make a mistake, not just in sport but life generally?"
"Did you mean to make those mistakes?"
were all designed to engage
AND
asked you to think about your attacks on players who make those mistakes and supporters who accept them.

Of course it's your problem. Condense your rambling into a concise form if you want people to be bothered engaging with it.

If those are the cliff notes, then they simply aren't worth engaging with. I mean, come on, your major line of argument is that professional sports players can only be criticised for mistakes which are deliberate?

And you thought this was worth writing war and peace to dig into?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BUT ...

Mate that’s quite beautifully expressed and insightful. Well said.

There are many decent, positive and balanced people on this forum who I genuinely like and have started to get to know in “real life”. There are others who are….quite the opposite and I would have no interest in ever meeting.

I commend you for the above post after reading for a second time but it’s a post that some will hate

So which of the next 2 eminently winnable games, that we will start clear favourites in, will we lose to kiss finals?

This whole season has been stained by inexplicable losses that have undone our progress.

It’s almost giving off a 2015 smell.

I think probably Saturday night, but it would be the most Crows thing of all time to blow it against WCE.

Back