Review Good/Bad vs Brisbane, R4 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

I have to admit, I don’t think even Rory Sloane knows what role he’s suppose to be playing anymore. Runs around like a headless chook too often in that midfield rotation.

He’s too good to not have a defined role. Put him on the wing and leave him there for 10 weeks IMO. Let him rediscover the gut busting Rory Sloane of 5+ years ago that did nothing but out work his opponents on 150m sprints.

Before we tried turning him into our next Dangerfield-esk inside mid.

As bad as we currently look the scary thing is I don't think supporters understand we haven't bottomed out as yet. We will most likely finish with the wooden spoon yet our list and performances will still be heading South.
Agree, most will be able to managed 2-3 years of bottoming out but I'm not sure how most will handle if this is a Port Power Primus era type rebuild. It took them pick 4, 5, 6 and 7 in 5 consecutive seasons from 2008-2012 to rebuild.

Club will only get better quickly by being ruthless. Whether the club has it in them is very debateable. The Powaa winning the flag may be the only thing that kicks these incompetents running our club into gear. I personally believe it will only happen when the likes of Chapman, Roo, Reid, Fagan are gone.

Reid isn't the problem, he's not a driver of the decisions, he's the implementer. Look at who the saints appointed? Key attribute was his banking experience. Reid is the paid monkey doing the bidding of the powerful. Roo, Fagan et al.

I have to admit, I don’t think even Rory Sloane knows what role he’s suppose to be playing anymore. Runs around like a headless chook in that midfield rotation.

He’s too good to not have a defined role. Put him on the wing and leave him there for
10 weeks IMO. Let him rediscover the gut running Rory Sloane of 5 years ago that did nothing but out work his opponents on 150m sprints.

But that's when he played his best football for that 10 week period in 2016 and was ranked the best player in AFL until opposition tagged him.

But that's when he played his best football for that 10 week period in 2016 and was ranked the best player in AFL until opposition tagged him.
Be honest though, when was the last time you saw him approach even remotely that level? I honestly can’t remember his last truly dominant game.

He’s lost his way and that’s the point. He needs a specific role that suits his talent. Cause him playing as a free roaming mid isn’t working for him or us. And hasn’t for a long long time IMO

I have to admit, I don’t think even Rory Sloane knows what role he’s suppose to be playing anymore. Runs around like a headless chook too often in that midfield rotation.

He’s too good to not have a defined role. Put him on the wing and leave him there for 10 weeks IMO. Let him rediscover the gut busting Rory Sloane of 5+ years ago that did nothing but out work his opponents on 150m sprints.

I wonder if he still has that in him?

If he does great, definitely give it a crack, but that was a very taxing style and he's no spring chicken.

It's similar for lynch, how many more years did we actually think he could play that same style?

Nothing honourable about the second half. If they kicked straight we lose by 15 goals.

Jones, McHenry - Showed abit but a long way to go.
Murphy and Himmelberg- Horrendous
B Crouch - a meaningless 24 possession game
Only 1 player with more than 16 possessions - lazy and unfit.
Keays - One of the few with a heart
Tex - good
Young talent - nothing to get excited about.
Cant agree with your last statement. I thought that Jones played well once moved into the centre. I Liked some of the work that Poholke did including that pack mark in the last qtr. Just showed a few signs. McHenry is a determined lad and will only get better. Add in Keays (who I do like) and Crocker and I start to see improvement. I thought that McAdam didnt show much and Mcasey looked lost. Himmilberg seems out of place. But I would be sticking with the youngsters. I think that Murphy will be replaced with Stengel ASAP.

Now I know everyone is getting in on the Murphy bashing but that one was 100% on Tex, not Murphy. That was a great kick, low and hard onto his chest.

Tex Dropped the mark from a good kick to his advantage.
Not in wet conditions but maybe on a dry day.

Be honest though, when was the last time you saw him approach even remotely that level? I honestly can’t remember his last truly dominant game.

He’s lost his way and that’s the point. He needs a specific role that suits his talent. Cause him playing as a free roaming mid isn’t working for him or us. And hasn’t for a long long time IMO
Hence we are playing him there to find that form, seems to be playing injured but as the warrior he is for the club, he is giving his all. If some of our other senior players display only half of his effort he does all the time we wouldn't be in such a s**t position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bad:

- The token chase/smother/tackle attempts that the coaching and playing group has tolerated from the Atkins/Crouch(es)/others have clearly crept in to some of our junior players who've been on the list in that time.
- Coming back for a second crack at Brad Crouch here. What the heck has happened. Clearly an attitude problem, like many others.

Good:

- If you're ****ed off at the management of the AFC over the last few years, then this season looms as an embarrassing comedy/tragedy for that admin group as ex crows who have left us (that apparently we were so happy to get rid of) tear us a new one on a weekly basis.

Last edited:
My thoughts today,

Lynch is cooked his turnover this year are ridiculous, needs to go as he just slows our forward line down and seemed to play a wing today which is a waste- would rather Sloane or brouch on a wing.

Tex showed he is good but our mids have been sh*t (no shock to anyone with a brain)

Sloane and brouch were okay today but we need to find other spots for them and mrouch cause we need to get games into other blokes in there.

Jones spell on ball in 3rd quarter was amazing and gives us something to look forward to.

Poholke imo played his best game for us, previously has looked slow in speed and decision making but today he was different which is exciting.

Murphy plays his heart out but i doubt he is going to win us many games.

Himmelberg was lost and didn't provide much

Frampton was ok, he needs to play as deep as possible cause his foot skills are atrocious

Mcadam- looked like he was playing his first game, just give him a few games to get his eye in.

Laird seems to have lost any sort of care factor but hard to blame him with the forward entries we concede.

I think we should definitely lower expectations for our defenders, its not an easy position to be playing currently.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I thought Poholke’s ability to get into space today and provide a link in transition from defense was very promising. Took more marks than Matt had taken in 3 games. Definitely worth giving him a decent run of games now. Didn’t seem to be a fitness issue for me as I thought his 2nd half was his best.
Poholke spent a lot of time in the forward line in the second half. Watch it closely .

Hence we are playing him there to find that form, seems to be playing injured but as the warrior he is for the club, he is giving his all. If some of our other senior players display only half of his effort he does all the time we wouldn't be in such a s**t position.
I’d way prefer 15-20 quality touches from Sloane in a defined role to 25 ‘warrior touches’ that end up amounting to nothing.

Brisbane’s first goal came from Lynch kicking straight to a lions player under no pressure. He makes basic errors often.
It wasn’t as bad as the last 2 weeks, but he certainly is still missing targets.

I have to admit though, he was attacking the corridor out of defence nearly every opportunity he had. Which is risky, but at least it showed the game style we are trying. I was much happier with Lynch’s game this week

I wonder if he still has that in him?

If he does great, definitely give it a crack, but that was a very taxing style and he's no spring chicken.

It's similar for lynch, how many more years did we actually think he could play that same style?
I know what you mean, but I actually think it’s substantially less taxing the the CEY role he’s basically doing now.

Good: We didn't lose by 10 goals.

Bad: We would have lost by ten goals if Brisbane could kick straight.

In all seriousness, I didn't get to watch because I had an engagement elsewhere. So, questions...

Was the third quarter as respectable as it seems?

I know it was a late change, but was playing Frampton and the Berg as stupid as it sounds?

How did the kids go? Hamill injured?

Clearances any better?

The third quarter was actually good. Id say not just 'respectable'.

The rest not so much. First quarter was putried and 2nd and 4th beaten comprehensively.

Frampton and Berg was a bad selection, esp with the slippery ball. Both did a couple of decent nice things but were largely unsighted.

Hamill concussed in a tackle, didnt seem to be too much in it as far as suspension goes.

Kids as far as i could see were as follows

Poholke: Decent without being fantastic. Took a nice mark forward and kicked a goal. Looked a tad off the pace but his first game in a long time at the level. Offered as much as M Crouch does right at this moment

Jones: When in the middle, very good. Classy, composed. Starting to get the pace of the game and weave through traffic. I think he'll be a good player and should almost never leave the midfield.

McHenry: same old story, looked to be everywhere, nice and aggressive but a bit fumbly and didnt get enough ball.

McAsey: Looks to be lacking fitness a bit but did a couple of nice things. Very much a work in progress.

Keays: Did a very good job on neale for a while, wasted a couple of golden scoring chances with bad kicking.

Crocker: Didnt see him do that much

McAdam: Looked like he belonged at the level but just two grabbed a bit too much to be effective on the day. Certainly a marking option that we need to plug and play going forward.

I'm sure some will disagree with those assessments btu thats how i saw it.

Last edited:
Brisbane’s first goal came from Lynch kicking straight to a lions player under no pressure. He makes basic errors often.

2nd half his kicking was really good.
Trouble is his bad kick is a complete miss not just a wobbly one that goes in mostly the right direction.

Bad:

- The token chase/smother/tackle attempts that the coaching and playing group has tolerated from the Atkins/Crouch(es)/others have clearly crept in to some of our junior players who've been on the list in that time.
- Coming back for a second crack at Brad Crouch here. What the heck has happened. Clearly an attitude problem, like many others.

Good:

- If you're ****ed off at the management of the AFC over the last few years, then this season looms as an embarrassing comedy/tragedy for that admin group as ex crows who have left us (that apparently we were so happy to get rid of) tear us a new one on a weekly basis.

The question is would you want two 30 year old mids playing in place of Jones/McHenry/Poholke given where we are right now?

Greenwood was average last week, CEY was worse than average this week.

I agree with the sentiment but you're very much exaggerating.

I’d way prefer 15-20 quality touches from Sloane in a defined role to 25 ‘warrior touches’ that end up amounting to nothing.

WE need a certain amount possies out of the mids, if we don't get them we will loose badly , the majority of the mids need over 20 possies

Like what happened yesterday which is why there was 33 scoring shots to 11

Bad:

Good:

And yet I felt there were a couple of times in the third with Jones getting the clearance to Brad who got an effective kick away looked awesome. I think there's potential there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back