Review Good/Bad vs Brisbane, R4 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

The third quarter was actually good. Id say not just 'respectable'.

The rest not so much. First quarter was putried and 2nd and 4th beaten comprehensively.

Frampton and Berg was a bad selection, esp with the slippery ball. Both did a couple of decent nice things but were largely unsighted.

Hamill concussed in a tackle, didnt seem to be too much in it as far as suspension goes.

Kids as far as i could see were as follows

Poholke: Decent without being fantastic. Took a nice mark forward and kicked a goal. Looked a tad off the pace but his first game in a long time at the level. Offered as much as M Crouch does right at this moment

Jones: When in the middle, very good. Classy, composed. Starting to get the pace of the game and weave through traffic. I think he'll be a good player and should almost never leave the midfield.

McHenry: same old story, looked to be everywhere, nice and aggressive but a bit fumbly and didnt get enough ball.

McAsey: Looks to be lacking fitness a bit but did a couple of nice things. Very much a work in progress.

Keays: Did a very good job on neale for a while, wasted a couple of golden scoring chances with bad kicking.

Crocker: Didnt see him do that much

McAdam: Looked like he belonged at the level but just two grabbed a bit too much to be effective on the day. Certainly a marking option that we need to plug and play going forward.

I'm sure some will disagree with those assessments btu thats how i saw it.
I would agree. I think my earlier post suggests similar ideas. I particularly made a point about Poholke mainly because of his mark and goal in the final qtr. It was a strong mark but I noticed his body shape and I thought that he had developed his arms and chest. He looked strong. Its funny its just one of those things you get a quick glimpse of. My my mind he needs to be kept in the side. He is also slightly taller than most of our other midfielders.

But he rarely got near the ball.

Not surprising, after all, we only had 28 inside 50s.

No forward is getting near the ball a lot in those conditions.

No excuse though.

If he’d got that ball to McAdam and he goals, great for the group. That’s culture.

He should know better
Yep agree, they both stuffed that one up a bit IMO

Didn’t like Crockers effort in the last minutes. Had a chance to get a ball over the top to McAdam which might have seen a goal on debut.

Instead he took possession and tried to dance around for his own shot and got caught.

He’d kicked a goal, game was done, and even if hadn’t worked out he could have at least tried. Thought it was pretty selfish.
Wasn't great, but he would have been very sore from the nasty knock he got in the back by Rich.

Not surprising, after all, we only had 28 inside 50s.

No forward is getting near the ball a lot in those conditions.
We should have given him a burst off a wing to get into the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did like our way of trying to run it up the middle in the 3rd or 4th quarter where we'd just run, get tackled, drop the ball, regather it and continue x4. We probably got it up about 60m this way before finally being pinged for holding the ball. Much safer than than hitting the opposition on the chest with a kick or the loopy handball.

Just watched the game again, not sure why, but a lot was made of their goal kicking. They did miss a few easy ones, but quite a number were from distance or on tight angles. We did TRY to force them wide, didnt always work though. As for us, we had a lot of 'nearly' moments. I counted 8 times where we turned the ball over around 60-70m, plus the Crocker/Shane stuff up and Shanes mark in the 3rd that wasnt paid.

Jones - Once again looked great when he went on the ball. 11 touches, 4 score involvements, 3 i50s and a goal. If Connor Rozee did that Derwayne would have blown his load. People talk about a 'Sloane Ceiling', if we get that from Chayce we should be thrilled.

Crouch - Much better on the outside, and with some momentum in his stoppage work. Kicked more too which was (mostly) a good sign.

Murphy - He tries, he really does. Fitting that his only great disposal bounced off Walkers chest. Tex was probably as shocked as us.

Kelly - I like that he TRIES to bite off the 45 kick, he just cant do it. A typically scrappy game from him

Sloane - Almost sacrificed his game to create space for others. Got some good clearances but looks sore after that ankle

Poholke - Once he found the pace he looked comfortable enough. Always tried to move the ball quick and took a nice grab for his goal. Holds his place IMO.

Talia - The old warrior was solid again.

Walker - That 3rd qtr was Vintage Tex. Im doubtful he can put a full game together like that, and he wont get much of a chance to, but it was great to see.

Brown - Got lucky a few times with Charlie but I thought he played him quite well. Charlie doesnt like the niggle much, and Brown is annoying.

Hamill - Hope he pulls up well, started the game well.

Crocker - Goalsquare mistake aside I thought he played well again. Presented hard, chased and put his body on the line.

Frampton - Won his 'duel' against Himmelberg and kicked a couple of goals. Not the long term answer but he should keep his spot until Fog returns

McAdam - A 'nearly' game. He looked lively any time the ball went near him and could easily have had 3 goals with a bit of luck.

McHenry - Much like Poholke IMO. Still trying a bit too hard, but youd rather that than be overawed. Cut the rookie mistakes and he will be fine.

Lynch - Much better behind the ball. Few typical Lynch disposals but he was largely constructive. Thats his place for now.

Keays - Played Neale very well IMO, but we probably made the right decision to move him if that makes sense. Improving every week, just needs to find a touch more polish

Laird - Dear god what has gone wrong.......

Smith - Better this week, and his kicking was back.

Himmelberg - Way off IMO, which is disappointing. Dont wanna drop him after a week but we do need to go smaller up there.

McAsey - Didnt do a heap wrong, but is getting bombarded every week.

Doedee - Good again, and that chase on Charlie on the siren is what you wanna see from your leaders. Hasnt lost any speed or agility.

ROB - Solid enough around the ground again but that tapwork is certainly a work in progress.

Just watched the game again, not sure why, but a lot was made of their goal kicking. They did miss a few easy ones, but quite a number were from distance or on tight angles. We did TRY to force them wide, didnt always work though. As for us, we had a lot of 'nearly' moments. I counted 8 times where we turned the ball over around 60-70m, plus the Crocker/Shane stuff up and Shanes mark in the 3rd that wasnt paid.

Jones - Once again looked great when he went on the ball. 11 touches, 4 score involvements, 3 i50s and a goal. If Connor Rozee did that Derwayne would have blown his load. People talk about a 'Sloane Ceiling', if we get that from Chayce we should be thrilled.

Crouch - Much better on the outside, and with some momentum in his stoppage work. Kicked more too which was (mostly) a good sign.

Murphy - He tries, he really does. Fitting that his only great disposal bounced off Walkers chest. Tex was probably as shocked as us.

Kelly - I like that he TRIES to bite off the 45 kick, he just cant do it. A typically scrappy game from him

Sloane - Almost sacrificed his game to create space for others. Got some good clearances but looks sore after that ankle

Poholke - Once he found the pace he looked comfortable enough. Always tried to move the ball quick and took a nice grab for his goal. Holds his place IMO.

Talia - The old warrior was solid again.

Walker - That 3rd qtr was Vintage Tex. Im doubtful he can put a full game together like that, and he wont get much of a chance to, but it was great to see.

Brown - Got lucky a few times with Charlie but I thought he played him quite well. Charlie doesnt like the niggle much, and Brown is annoying.

Hamill - Hope he pulls up well, started the game well.

Crocker - Goalsquare mistake aside I thought he played well again. Presented hard, chased and put his body on the line.

Frampton - Won his 'duel' against Himmelberg and kicked a couple of goals. Not the long term answer but he should keep his spot until Fog returns

McAdam - A 'nearly' game. He looked lively any time the ball went near him and could easily have had 3 goals with a bit of luck.

McHenry - Much like Poholke IMO. Still trying a bit too hard, but youd rather that than be overawed. Cut the rookie mistakes and he will be fine.

Lynch - Much better behind the ball. Few typical Lynch disposals but he was largely constructive. Thats his place for now.

Keays - Played Neale very well IMO, but we probably made the right decision to move him if that makes sense. Improving every week, just needs to find a touch more polish

Laird - Dear god what has gone wrong.......

Smith - Better this week, and his kicking was back.

Himmelberg - Way off IMO, which is disappointing. Dont wanna drop him after a week but we do need to go smaller up there.

McAsey - Didnt do a heap wrong, but is getting bombarded every week.

Doedee - Good again, and that chase on Charlie on the siren is what you wanna see from your leaders. Hasnt lost any speed or agility.

ROB - Solid enough around the ground again but that tapwork is certainly a work in progress.

Absolutely. Sloanes ceiling was borderline AA, and if Danger stayed, he probably would have been a walk-up AA year in, year out due to all of the tagging attention being focused on Danger.

Wasn’t Sloane on one leg today? Lucky to come back on?
He also got a number of crucial centre clearances by pure guts and being able to draw the free, went at 100% with his 13 touches and it included 7 clearances and 3 inside 50s. Thought he along with Tex were a huge driver of our 3rd quarter comeback, which is positive if we actually want to win any games this year.

He also got a number of crucial centre clearances by pure guts and being able to draw the free, went at 100% with his 13 touches and it included 7 clearances and 3 inside 50s. Thought he along with Tex were a huge driver of our 3rd quarter comeback, which is positive if we actually want to win any games this year.
He just can't keep getting hurt though.

His bravery will cost him a year or 2

Two leg injuries in two weeks, I would just give him a week off, purely to recover and play at his best

Just watched you tube highlights from the game. Dwayne Russell is a complete dickhead. A few good highlights from us. What stood out is Sloanes lack of pace, Jones played well, not really sold on McHenry yet, Doedee could play mid, McAsey seems to be struggling(move him up forward).

Dwayne is an absolute tool - he hates AFC with his Power roots - so passive aggressive with his Crows comments it's painful.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back