Review Good/Bad vs Brisbane, R4 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn’t like Crockers effort in the last minutes. Had a chance to get a ball over the top to McAdam which might have seen a goal on debut.

Instead he took possession and tried to dance around for his own shot and got caught.

He’d kicked a goal, game was done, and even if hadn’t worked out he could have at least tried. Thought it was pretty selfish.

Its one of those football decisions. The defenders naturally would go to the over the top player.

If he doesnt lose his feet he gets around the player and makes an easy 2 vs 1 decision from there. (kick the goal or handball over)

I think its a bit unfair as he may have given it anyway once he'd got round the player.

As it turns out he slipped/got tackled and it looked bad but I think its a bit unfair to label that selfish on face value.

Whether he shouldve initially tapped it and not taken posession is another story.

Is the problem with Brad that he goes looking for his brother too much? If it wasn't for the potential of getting a top 5 pick for him leaving as a FA, I'd say we perhaps think about moving Matt on and seeing how Brad can perform solo.

could also be a result of being told to kick and not handball?

[Posted in the changes thread but reposting here]

Live at the ground on Sunday one thing that was incredibly frustrating was how seemingly neither Himmelberg nor to a lesser extent Frampton were prepared to make a genuine long hard lead and demand the ball (as opposed to the 5 metre trot with arm outstretched) to make Harris Andrews chase them.
It was clear early on that Andrews had decided they weren’t a threat and repeatedly sucked back to destroy the contest with a spoil or worse yet an intercept mark.
The only exception I saw was midway through the first quarter when after a switch Lynch had the ball in the back pocket and Frampton worked hard to offer a lead and got a 5 metre gap only for Lynch to simply ignore him and try a 60m kick over his head which was easily picked off. So annoying.

[Posted in the changes thread but reposting here]

Live at the ground on Sunday one thing that was incredibly frustrating was how seemingly neither Himmelberg nor to a lesser extent Frampton were prepared to make a genuine long hard lead and demand the ball (as opposed to the 5 metre trot with arm outstretched) to make Harris Andrews chase them.
It was clear early on that Andrews had decided they weren’t a threat and repeatedly sucked back to destroy the contest with a spoil or worse yet an intercept mark.
The only exception I saw was midway through the first quarter when after a switch Lynch had the ball in the back pocket and Frampton worked hard to offer a lead and got a 5 metre gap only for Lynch to simply ignore him and try a 60m kick over his head which was easily picked off. So annoying.
An interesting read here from 'The Football Extension" on Twitter...rather damning of our forward set-up and lack of footy smarts - but shows your analysis is right on the mark.

Symptom of a guy who knows he's on the edge I reckon.

Prepared to make a call on him, I see very little. Happy for him to get another week, but I can't see anything changing. Keays has had the worst individual moments thus far, but there might be something there. I'm extending his probation for another month.

Prepared to make a call on him, I see very little. Happy for him to get another week, but I can't see anything changing. Keays has had the worst individual moments thus far, but there might be something there. I'm extending his probation for another month.
I think it's harder to make calls on our forwards currently, but yeah given we've got some young talent in the 2s he's probably most on edge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which is weird considering how bruise-free we play
It tends to happen a lot when you have younger/inexperienced bodies. It's also one of those things that happen if you don't fully commit (not saying this is what has happened) but it does happen.

In terms of total game output I agree. But they still have moments where they can show signs. I'm not seeing anything in him at all.
I do.

He works hard, he's aggressive and is nearly always in the right spot. Finishes his chances too.

I see a hard working plodder. Not much better than Patrick Wilson, but I don't expect much more at the price.
I'd happily play Davis instead, but I see a bit more than that.

I'd happily play Davis instead, but I see a bit more than that.
No question that, maybe more than ever, the medium forward is finding a home in AFL forward structures. There’s plenty of them now.

But it’s a tough gig, need something a bit special. Think Greene, Stephenson, DeGoey, Heeney, McCarthy etc etc.

They can all hurt you in the air and on the ground. Crocker seems like an honest worker but just don’t see that kind of ceiling.

Maybe Davis has, not sure. But he’s worth the punt to have a look. Crocker is what he is imo

No question that, maybe more than ever, the medium forward is finding a home in AFL forward structures. There’s plenty of them now.

But it’s a tough gig, need something a bit special. Think Greene, Stephenson, DeGoey, Heeney, McCarthy etc etc.

They can all hurt you in the air and on the ground. Crocker seems like an honest worker but just don’t see that kind of ceiling.

Maybe Davis has, not sure. But he’s worth the punt to have a look. Crocker is what he is imo
I'd drop Berg and play them both this week, then Crocker makes way for Stengle next week

I'd drop Berg and play them both this week, then Crocker makes way for Stengle next week
Yeah def Berg is gone - then Crocker or Murphy.

I don’t think Crocker has done anything too much wrong, been tough to be a forward with us.

Ultimately though I think there’s only room for 1 of he and Davis.

Keays has limited ability but he has abit of mongrel in him. He's the protocol of the type of "filler" player you expect to see in a bottom 6 team. Would not be in the first choice 28 to 30 in a top 8 club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back