• James Rowe

• Lachlan Sholl

• Brodie Smith

• Jake Soligo

• Kieran Strachan

• Taylor Walker

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

To the first point. Nowhere is it written that all growth is exponential and to a timetable. I am just saying I haven't seen the growth I was expecting this year.

We are a pretty identical clone to 2021. Don't forget in the first 10 rounds we were 4-6 and had beaten the previous years grand finalist and also the eventual premiers. All of the positives you listed above occurred (almost identically) in 2021 as they have in 2022.

What have you seen as an improvement in 2022 compared to 2021?

As to how Schoenberg could be handled better, the answer is continuity. His last month has seen him go SANFL, Sub, AFL, No footy. IMO he is one of our 3 most important young pieces, and the focus froand m the club above all else should be getting him right. Whether thats leaving him in the SANFL to get fit or beating up on SANFL players for confidence. Or we make him figure it out at AFL level.
I don't think Schoenberg has been handled badly. I think he's realising like all young players that he's in a performace business. Perform and you stay in. He also seems to have something going on outside of footy. I think all young payers need to learn to not get ahead of themself and If he's got the talent he will work through it. If you want to make it at footy it needs your full focus. Any distractions need to be resolved so it doesn't affect your game.

Demographically, we're very similar to where we were in 2021. Consider the following stats for our R9 2021 team, vs our R9 2022 teams:
2021​
2022​
Avg Age24yr 4mth24yr 2mth
Avg Games
68.8​
63.1​
< 50 Games
14​
15​
50-599
2​
3​
100-149
1​
0​
150+
5​
4​

Our 2022 team was even younger & less experienced than our 2021 equivalent - so it's hardly surprising that we're not seeing massive improvement.

Right now, we're still trying to get our kids to 50 games. We're also rotating through them, trying to determine which of the kids will make it long-term, and which won't. Last year we delisted O'Connor, as the first of our kids who we ruled a line through - he won't be the last.

As I said before... progress will be non-linear. We may well end up winning fewer games this year than we did last year - and that's not necessarily a bad thing. We may have to go backwards, in order to move forwards. This is not unexpected, and it's not a bad thing.

I think this takes real football nous and the ability read a football mind and se things in players that stats don't see.
eg Malcolm Blight.
I reckon he knew what to say, when, and to whom.
Take the Pittman-pathetic spray. No way would he have laid that on, say, McLeod after he had an off-game (which was rare anyway :sneaky: ).

Who else would have put Shane Ellen forward in the 1997 GF? :confusedv1: Incredible move. And why?

Freak player; innovative, brilliant Coach.

The offseason is where we are going to get our improvement by trading, drafting and the young blokes getting a lot stronger and fitter. Trading in a decent KPD should have the biggest impact on our win/loss along with hopefully finding another mid through the draft or trade.
This.
Crows need to trade in an experienced KPD and maybe an old-head mid who can help with the rebuild (where would we be without Keays and Dawson?).
Just no more scrawny, under 183cms mids, please.

This.
Crows need to trade in an experienced KPD and maybe an old-head mid who can help with the rebuild (where would we be without Keays and Dawson?).
Just no more scrawny, under 183cms mids, please.
Yeah dread the thought of picking up a Shai Bolton.

Do you understand the role he plays?
Sure. He’s playing the role of lock down defender. And he does ok I suppose. But he doesn’t get much of the ball, and when he does he uses it poorly. Generally backline players have a much higher disposal efficiency than others on the ground. Jones is the worst of all of our regular backmen. He turns the ball over regularly. On the weekend he gave up the ball 5 times from 11 disposals. This isn’t unusual from him. Conversely those touches very rarely lead to anything decent. His score involvements are on par with Brown - who is having a very poor season - and slightly better than Butts.

Again, on the weekend, he played on Brisbane’s third best small forward. McCarthy had 9 touches, 3 marks, 5 tackles, 5 score involvements and kicked a goal. It’s not immediately obvious to me that Jones won that battle.

And let’s not forget that he is now 22, was a top ten draftee who was to become an A-Grade midfielder. I don’t think it’s unfair to say that he has been more than a little disappointing and is unlikely to become the player we wanted him to be. I hope I am wrong. I really do. But I don’t get peoples optimism about him.

Coaches Votes

Adelaide v Brisbane

10 Lachie Neale (BL)
7 Dayne Zorko (BL)
7 Charlie Cameron (BL)
2 Jordan Dawson (ADEL)
2 Oscar McInerney (BL)
1 Zac Bailey (BL)
1 Rory Laird (ADEL)

Nothing for Hately ?

Coaches Votes

Adelaide v Brisbane

10 Lachie Neale (BL)
7 Dayne Zorko (BL)
7 Charlie Cameron (BL)
2 Jordan Dawson (ADEL)
2 Oscar McInerney (BL)
1 Zac Bailey (BL)
1 Rory Laird (ADEL)

Nothing for Hately ?
Probably not when you lose by 6 goals.

Coaches Votes

Adelaide v Brisbane

10 Lachie Neale (BL)
7 Dayne Zorko (BL)
7 Charlie Cameron (BL)
2 Jordan Dawson (ADEL)
2 Oscar McInerney (BL)
1 Zac Bailey (BL)
1 Rory Laird (ADEL)

Nothing for Hately ?
Hately was pretty good but he wasn't coaches votes good. Hopefully can back it up and build from there

eg Malcolm Blight.
Take the Pittman-pathetic spray. No way would he have laid that on, say, McLeod after he had an off-game (which was rare anyway :sneaky: ).

Who else would have put Shane Ellen forward in the 1997 GF? :confusedv1: Incredible move. And why?

Except for when he pushed Modra out of the club!

Except for when he pushed Modra out of the club!
Loved Blight.
Loved Modra, too --- Master of the Screamer --- whose achievements have been well-documented and justifiably highly-praised. Great Full forward; a magician. What a leap and what a pair of hands!! Lovely kick too, kicked 588.308, 65.6%.

He made a huge contribution to the Crows '97 Flag; that knee injury was cruel. I've always felt really sad that Modra didn't play in either Grand Final.
I know very little about the Blight/Modra fall-out, no more than this but there's gotta be more to it:

If you have any insider, or more thorough info, please post it or PM me?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Demographically, we're very similar to where we were in 2021. Consider the following stats for our R9 2021 team, vs our R9 2022 teams:
2021​
2022​
Avg Games
68.8​
63.1​
< 50 Games
14​
15​
50-599
2​
3​
100-149
1​
0​
150+
5​
4​

Our 2022 team was even younger & less experienced than our 2021 equivalent - so it's hardly surprising that we're not seeing massive improvement.

Right now, we're still trying to get our kids to 50 games. We're also rotating through them, trying to determine which of the kids will make it long-term, and which won't. Last year we delisted O'Connor, as the first of our kids who we ruled a line through - he won't be the last.

As I said before... progress will be non-linear. We may well end up winning fewer games this year than we did last year - and that's not necessarily a bad thing. We may have to go backwards, in order to move forwards. This is not unexpected, and it's not a bad thing.

We still have West Coast and Kangaroos twice so assume we go split with both of those and add in a couple of others we will end up with 7-9 wins for the year.

2021​
2022​
Avg Games
68.8​
63.1​
< 50 Games
14​
15​
50-599
2​
3​
100-149
1​
0​
150+
5​
4​

Would be interesting to know ou 2022 v 2021 averages. If anything i expect out 2021 team would be more experienced with more Sloane & Mackay.

I mentioned pre-season i suspected that we would finish around the same position, given our squad is actually less experienced overall that last season.

Would be interesting to know ou 2022 v 2021 averages. If anything i expect out 2021 team would be more experienced with more Sloane & Mackay.

I mentioned pre-season i suspected that we would finish around the same position, given our squad is actually less experienced overall that last season.
You forgot Seedsman, who is one of only 7x 100+ game players on our 2022 list, and who appears unlikely to ever play again.

We also lost Kelly as well, if we're comparing 2021 vs 2022.

I took those stats from the Footywire website. I don't think they have season averages for these stats, and I can't be bothered going through 31 games to calculate them myself. Sorry! I suspect that you are probably correct, I just can't be bothered proving it.

On SM-T510 using BigFooty.com mobile app

eg Malcolm Blight.

What a s**t coaching move.

Ellen forward in GF - 2 goals in a half
Ellen back in GF - 3 goals in half.

If he hadn't started him at FF, he would have kicked 6...

Our clearance work was terrible. We just let lions mids free at the contest time and time again, and we're talking about guys like Neale and Zorko with no pressure at all on them. These two below resulted in Zorko getting free and goals.

View attachment 1401459

View attachment 1401461
View attachment 1401462
interesting the last two frames...was Laird meant to be on Zorko? If so, that's poor from him. The first frame was not quite as bad, but we're badly exposed when Strachan loses the tap. It'd be interesting to compare what we did against the Dogs - I suspect we played a lot closer to their mids. Really we should've been doing the same for the past three weeks, all against sides with a classier bunch of mids.

eg Malcolm Blight.

Yep, I think we lost our next special one in Walsh, God rest his soul.

At the end of the day, it's not your gameplan, your relationship with the players or even your personell.It's your abilty to read, assess which buttons to push and then extract the best from as many within your starting 18 as possible when it matters the most, and this takes a special kind of Genius that often manifests as somewhat loose, crazy or straight up a-hole, I.e, very un-AFC and very juxtaposed to any development role.

Not many straight shooters who lack Charisma win flags. Especially not the nice ones.
See- Neil Craig or Don Pyke. I think Nicks is cut from the same cloth and Vanberlo takes it to the next level.
On the other hand, it probably takes a different sort of Cat to nurture a fledgling list to the point of competitiveness - See Clarko Thompson, Horse, Blight, Lyon ect.

2 completely different mindsets required.

The only one I can think of in modern times that's done both is the great man Sheedy. Maybe to a degree Mathews or Malthouse, but nothing like the journey Nicks has ahead of him.

Last edited:
Hamill had some decent moments early with a couple of timely intercept marks but was fairly quiet for three quarters from an offensive sense.

Seemed to find his mojo at the end. Showed some dash and athleticism. Most dynamic he's looked. Hopefully will build on that

I’ve said it a dozen times from the very first days: Hamill will be the best player from our 2018 draft.

Back