Review Good/Bad vs Collingwood, 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Good
- We were competitive in contested ball and clearances for the second time in two weeks.
- We were finally able to play the game on our terms for a decent period and I liked the way we were moving the ball. It didn't come off all of the time which it never will but it was attractive to watch.
On an individual note:
- Laird. He played a fantastic game. As another poster pointed out it was one of the best individual midfield games from a crows player in a number of years.
- ROB. At worst broke even but probably beat the best ruckman in the game.
- Himmelberg played unexpectedly well. It was only a 10 D, 5 M 2 G game though so I don't think we should get too excited. That should be the standard eventually, not a 1 off.
- McPherson was terrific. He is one of those players who does everything right and is solid as a rock in a contest. His one mistake was his delivery into the forward 50 that really should have resulted in a goal (I added that just for you Drugs Are Bad Mackay?) but he will learn from that.
- Brown. For the most part I thought was very good defensively.
- Stengle certainly has some moves and goal sense and was able to finish off in front of goal this week which was a nice change. He has surprised me with how good he is around the ground.
- I'm not a fan of Hartigan and I don't think that he was particularly good last night but he was better than he often is so credit to him for that.
- Smith. Despite a couple of howlers I thought he was good.
- Walker competed well in the air which is usually his weakness.

Bad
- Again unable to run out the whole game. This isn't going to change any time soon but hopefully we can improve this over the off-season.
- The umpiring was very poor. I usually try not to get too concerned over the umpiring but it was bad and not just because it was one-sided.
On an individual note:
- McAsey was very bad. There is a reason that KPD don't usually play much AFL in their first season and we are all seeing that. He is unable to compete against the key forwards with his lack of strength and he doesn't have the mobility when playing on the smaller forwards. I am very confident that he will be a good player long term because he is mobile enough for a key defender so he is only lacking the strength at this point and that will come.
- Crocker. This might be a bit harsh but I didn't like his game.
- Walker's ball use was bad which is usually his strength.

Other notes
- I don't think that Matt Crouch's game was exceptional but I think he has been more damaging the past month than he was earlier in the season and I thought he was okay last night. He has seemed to get back to what he does best which is being a link player through the midfield. Taking uncontested marks and using his short passes in the center of the ground.
- Last night is probably the best example of what it's like being in a rebuild. If Talia played instead of McAsey I am confident that we win that game. Our newest, moste exciting player McAsey was responsible for 5 goals according to my count that I doubt would have occurred if Talia was playing. I'm not bagging McAsey hear - I think his shortcomings are to be expected this early in his career. I do think though (all at the same time) that he is a big part of the reason we lost, I'm glad that he played and I hope he plays next week.

The thing with Laird playing midfield is he has never had trouble putting his head over the ball nor had trouble finding it.

He's got enough evasive skill and a little burst to get clear. Yes his kicking can be off, but you get the ball 40 times you're going to get enough good disposal to make it count.

M Crouch - "Hold my beer"

McAsey will grow much faster than he would've at a top club because of this year

I really hope so. But not sure about that. Weitering comes to mind. I know this is not even remotely relevant hehehe.. but I played A-grade when I was 15, 16 and 17. I got smashed. So I guess I have that personal bias that just throwing a kid into the deep end to see if he swims didn't work for me... I wouldn't have gone on to even play SANFL ... I know that... and again ... not the same thing.. I absolutely loved it... but looking back with more understanding of how players develop, I wish I kept playing under 17s where obviously I would have got a lot more ball, kicked a lot more goals had more fun ...

McAsey doesn't even have a functioning midfield or forward line in front of him... The defensive structures arent too bad I dont think... but the ball keeps coming in and even our most senior players are panicking... putting each other under pressure... making decision errors.... the environment at the elite level is just too much for a kid to be even a few percent off in any aspect... I watched for him as much as I could and I noticed a lot of moments where he did himself proud... but by weight of numbers the errors came and its not suprising

The thing with Laird playing midfield is he has never had trouble putting his head over the ball nor had trouble finding it.

He's got enough evasive skill and a little burst to get clear. Yes his kicking can be off, but you get the ball 40 times you're going to get enough good disposal to make it count.

And not that what he does with it isn’t important, but it’s also 40 less times that the opposition get it

And that is something we sorely need right now, someone in the guts who can get their hand on the fricken ball

McAsey doesn't even have a functioning midfield or forward line in front of him... The defensive structures arent too bad I dont think... but the ball keeps coming in and even our most senior players are panicking... putting each other under pressure... making decision errors.... the environment at the elite level is just too much for a kid to be even a few percent off in any aspect... I watched for him as much as I could and I noticed a lot of moments where he did himself proud... but by weight of numbers the errors came and its not suprising

Totally agree with this. I was watching him too. Whether he is worth pick 6 is another matter, but he was doing some reasonable things and as you say other times just being swamped by what’s going on around him. It’s often referred to as “Still picking up the pace of the game” but that covers a range of pressures and uncertainties that a Tahlia is able to handle but a young kid isn’t yet

And not that what he does with it isn’t important, but it’s also 40 less times that the opposition get it

And that is something we sorely need right now, someone in the guts who can get their hand on the fricken ball
His ball use in the midfield is far better than it has been in defence

Yes it is. At his best in defence he used to use his speed and judgement to run the ball out of the area. Has rediscovered that in the middle which means the ball ends up in the F50
His ball use when he runs and carries is far better than when he is held up and has to kick from stoppage over the mark

I am glad we are not paying Gov and Lever what they wanted to stay.

But we shoukd have kept Cameron, and woukd have if we respected his capability, as Brisbane did.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

We let Charlie go home for compassionate reasons. Huge loss IMO.
The other 2 were money hungry greedy idiots who had an overrated opinion of themselves after the 2017 season. No great loss for either of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good
- We were competitive in contested ball and clearances for the second time in two weeks.
- We were finally able to play the game on our terms for a decent period and I liked the way we were moving the ball. It didn't come off all of the time which it never will but it was attractive to watch.
On an individual note:
- Laird. He played a fantastic game. As another poster pointed out it was one of the best individual midfield games from a crows player in a number of years.
- ROB. At worst broke even but probably beat the best ruckman in the game.
- Himmelberg played unexpectedly well. It was only a 10 D, 5 M 2 G game though so I don't think we should get too excited. That should be the standard eventually, not a 1 off.
- McPherson was terrific. He is one of those players who does everything right and is solid as a rock in a contest. His one mistake was his delivery into the forward 50 that really should have resulted in a goal (I added that just for you Drugs Are Bad Mackay?) but he will learn from that.
- Brown. For the most part I thought was very good defensively.
- Stengle certainly has some moves and goal sense and was able to finish off in front of goal this week which was a nice change. He has surprised me with how good he is around the ground.
- I'm not a fan of Hartigan and I don't think that he was particularly good last night but he was better than he often is so credit to him for that.
- Smith. Despite a couple of howlers I thought he was good.
- Walker competed well in the air which is usually his weakness.

Bad
- Again unable to run out the whole game. This isn't going to change any time soon but hopefully we can improve this over the off-season.
- The umpiring was very poor. I usually try not to get too concerned over the umpiring but it was bad and not just because it was one-sided.
On an individual note:
- McAsey was very bad. There is a reason that KPD don't usually play much AFL in their first season and we are all seeing that. He is unable to compete against the key forwards with his lack of strength and he doesn't have the mobility when playing on the smaller forwards. I am very confident that he will be a good player long term because he is mobile enough for a key defender so he is only lacking the strength at this point and that will come.
- Crocker. This might be a bit harsh but I didn't like his game.
- Walker's ball use was bad which is usually his strength.

Other notes
- I don't think that Matt Crouch's game was exceptional but I think he has been more damaging the past month than he was earlier in the season and I thought he was okay last night. He has seemed to get back to what he does best which is being a link player through the midfield. Taking uncontested marks and using his short passes in the center of the ground.
- Last night is probably the best example of what it's like being in a rebuild. If Talia played instead of McAsey I am confident that we win that game. Our newest, moste exciting player McAsey was responsible for 5 goals according to my count that I doubt would have occurred if Talia was playing. I'm not bagging McAsey hear - I think his shortcomings are to be expected this early in his career. I do think though (all at the same time) that he is a big part of the reason we lost, I'm glad that he played and I hope he plays next week.

Congratulations on a decent assessment. Unlike many of the others, clearly you watched the game. It gets a bit tedious when they trot out their standard prejudices regardless of the target's performance.

Drop the number 2 pick down why ?? You do realise Hollands was born in Adelaide and lives in COUNTRY Victoria.

Best mate is already at the club too.

I was unaware of that. Purely on the fact he has done his knee and maybe not ready for next year. The fact remains despite us having a lot of Vic kids top end targets like him and Phillips will be chased hard from day one.

Lever is the classic case, showed heaps for us, next minute fat, big mouthed yob Brian Taylor is convincing him to leave us via the media. It was sickening. Unless they signed for 4 years straight up I'm not interested. Some good mids to be had besides those too.

Didn't think I'd ever say this but Himmelberg on his last couple of games has careered past Fogarty.

Fogarty is really starting to seriously worry me.

Edit : 9 Disposals......8 clangers
Most of those were free kicks for belting blokes :cool:

Not enough love for Sholl either. Was terrific tonight

disappointed The telecast didn’t say if he was in year 8 or 9

Godden was just asked about worrell on AA and he said DMac was keeping him out. Jeez.

*sniff* it’s not trolling if it’s true

did he Say how He was keeping him out, Like is he shackled inDmac’s basement?

I was unaware of that. Purely on the fact he has done his knee and maybe not ready for next year. The fact remains despite us having a lot of Vic kids top end targets like him and Phillips will be chased hard from day one.

Lever is the classic case, showed heaps for us, next minute fat, big mouthed yob Brian Taylor is convincing him to leave us via the media. It was sickening. Unless they signed for 4 years straight up I'm not interested. Some good mids to be had besides those too.
I think we've slowly learnt that lesson, and I do agree there's local mids worth a look. Poulter is one who I'm keen to see live.

Godden was just asked about worrell on AA and he said DMac was keeping him out. Jeez.

Godden is a ******* idiot.

Just look at the way Rory Laird waltzed into the midfield with no training and totally pantsed the guys that were in there training his structure all season and pre-season

He's a terrible coach and there is mounting evidence this is true

Godden is a ******* idiot.

Just look at the way Rory Laird waltzed into the midfield with no training and totally pantsed the guys that were in there training his structure all season and pre-season

He's a terrible coach and there is mounting evidence this is true
I think we've seen enough your honour.

We let Charlie go home for compassionate reasons. Huge loss IMO.
The other 2 were money hungry greedy idiots who had an overrated opinion of themselves after the 2017 season. No great loss for either of them.

So Brisbane is 'home' for Charlie? And Charlie doesn't care about money?

I think you'll find he isn't too dissimilar to the other two.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back