• Rory Laird

• Wayne Milera

• Darcy Fogarty

• Brodie Smith

• Lachlan Sholl

• Reilly O'Brien

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

His form is the most variable of any of our players I think?
Yep ....but in line with most 21 YO talls with 39 games behind them .....just have to erase these bad habits, in variable efforts

Thilthorpe does not like body contact in centre bounces .....he's fine with boundary throw-ins

This is just pure confirmation bias. After Dawson and Laird, our most CBAs went in order to Rachele, Schoenberg and Pedlar. In the first term, Soligo was right up there as well. We had kids in the middle, they just weren't getting the ball.

NTRabbit is right that you can't just kneejerk blame senior players because we lose. Not because those senior players didn't play poorly, some of them did, but we had young players who had the opportunity to positively impact the game and did not do so.

Even if Sloane plays the worst game of all time, it's not his fault if Rachele and Soligo are in the middle and give up a clearance or if Max gets beaten by his opponent.

Senior players are in our most important roles.

Conversely, most of our younger players are in our least important roles and many of them are playing forward of the ball most of the time.

There is very little these players can do if our opposition has double the number of inside 50s, like was the case today at times.

Yes, Rachele and Soligo could have had more impact. But they also weren't in a position to impact as much as our senior players. I think some of these players are judged harshly and expected to perform on the same level as a Laird or Dawson when they just don't play that role for as long.

Laird for example attended 30 out of 36 CBAs and had 10 clearances, but only 5 score involvements. Soligo had 4 of 36 CBAs and best case Rachele was there one third of the time. Despite this Rachele had the same 5 score involvements as Laird, and 4 clearances. From one third the amount of "midfield time" (if CBAs are an accurate reflection of that)

Rachele and Pedlar given 0 CBAs in the last quarter. Moved out of there. 1 disposal each. No impact on the game because they aren't in the game being forward as Essendon run in waves towards their end. They just aren't going to impact the game as suggested from the forward line. Pedlar IMO massively outperformed the significantly more senior Murphy despite playing a similar role, does that mean Pedlar didn't positively impact the game?

And our young players are also often on the receiving end of opposition midfield domination as they are playing our #1, #2 and #3 key defensive roles, at least today.

We play best when we involve our young stars and bring them into the game. When our senior players are supporting them. And we play our worst when they don't

Pedlar goes into CBA immediately impacts the game ……then Nicks says
“he’s had enough “
Pedlar needs to find more of the ball and impact the game more. It feels like he's had a really good game and then you look at the stats and he's had 11 possessions (8 today). If Nicks was a coach with dare and a future for the remainder of the year Pedlar and Rachelle would be spending more time in the middle than Keays and Sloane.

1. “To start like that….means you won’t win”

1688907945565.jpeg

2. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. That jumper is an embarrassment and nobody, not a single Crows supporter, prefers that pile of red s**t over the traditional jumper. Adelaide is a club that has a mortgage on shitty away jumpers. How many are they up to now? Must be closing in on 50.

3. The AFC has beaten Essendon on the road four times in nearly 35 years. If you expected the Crows to win this game, please let us know how your first day on planet Earth went.

Carlton are 2 pts behind us lol. How depressing

carlton are stacked every line and should be pushing for top 2 let alone outside the 8....

People somehow forgot we were ranked to be around 13-16th and very well still in our rebuild.

I would be much more depressed being carlton right now. With 2 coleman medallists. A midfield of cripps Walsh cerra heweet and a backline consisting of Docherty and Weitering.

Bad - Nick’s pressa - basically putting all blame on the players “we had a plan and didn’t execute “ he should have added “and then I had no idea what to do, as my team selection was crud, and I am a bit naive on game day, but hey how was Sloane in his 249th, and Murph was a warrior”.

Totally agree re Thilthorpe .....he was horrible

1. I've said many times, TT is just not a RUCK ....the fact Phillips, who is the Stauchan of ESS, beat him so convincingly at ruck contests, is shameful

2. TT's marking has come on well this year, it's a true weapon .....however his follow-up efforts to chase & harass were dreadful, and allowed ESS players easy passage

But I could say that about a number of players today
His pack marking is s**t

(Log in to remove this ad.)

carlton are stacked every line and should be pushing for top 2 let alone outside the 8....

People somehow forgot we were ranked to be around 13-16th and very well still in our rebuild.

I would be much more depressed being carlton right now. With 2 coleman medallists. A midfield of cripps Walsh cerra heweet and a backline consisting of Docherty and Weitering.
Have you met a Carlton supporter before? They all think they are making finals and winning them this year...

Do yourself a solid.

Don't
Benefit of watching the replay is that I could see the first quarter not panning out too well, so decided to skip ahead and ended up watching maybe 10 minutes total of the game haha. Can’t get into a shootout and open type game with Essendon, it’s when they play their best.

Senior players are in our most important roles.

Conversely, most of our younger players are in our least important roles and many of them are playing forward of the ball most of the time.

There is very little these players can do if our opposition has double the number of inside 50s, like was the case today at times.

Yes, Rachele and Soligo could have had more impact. But they also weren't in a position to impact as much as our senior players. I think some of these players are judged harshly and expected to perform on the same level as a Laird or Dawson when they just don't play that role for as long.

Laird for example attended 30 out of 36 CBAs and had 10 clearances, but only 5 score involvements. Soligo had 4 of 36 CBAs and best case Rachele was there one third of the time. Despite this Rachele had the same 5 score involvements as Laird, and 4 clearances. From one third the amount of "midfield time" (if CBAs are an accurate reflection of that)

Rachele and Pedlar given 0 CBAs in the last quarter. Moved out of there. 1 disposal each. No impact on the game because they aren't in the game being forward as Essendon run in waves towards their end. They just aren't going to impact the game as suggested from the forward line. Pedlar IMO massively outperformed the significantly more senior Murphy despite playing a similar role, does that mean Pedlar didn't positively impact the game?

And our young players are also often on the receiving end of opposition midfield domination as they are playing our #1, #2 and #3 key defensive roles, at least today.

We play best when we involve our young stars and bring them into the game. When our senior players are supporting them. And we play our worst when they don't
Even though Pedlar didn't get many stats other than his 2 goals, I thought he did well when he was at the CBAs and there was this one play where he was doing all the chasing/pressuring towards a few Essendon players. He almost had it. If only he had help. Some of the players out there just looked run off their feet.

Bad - Nick’s pressa - basically putting all blame on the players “we had a plan and didn’t execute “ he should have added “and then I had no idea what to do, as my team selection was crud, and I am a bit naive on game day, but hey how was Sloane in his 249th, and Murph was a warrior”.
Every team goes into a game with a plan and if executed should win, but things don't always go to plan. He, as the coach, should have a backup plan and another plan and another.

Top 14 players on the ground for ground ball gets

1688914084406.png

The 195cm Brandon Zerk-Thatcher had more ground ball gets than 21 of our 23 players

200cm Peter Wright with more than 20 of our 23 players

Essendon were almost ambushed by a winless Adelaide in 2020.

Since then they've humiliated Adelaide in 2021.
...Beaten them in 2022 with what should have been an uncompetitive squad, mostly by exposing Adelaide's inability to defend centre square losses.
...Repeated the dose in 2023 using much the same idea as the previous year.

Good:
We lost by 18 points. How?
Sloane should prove a real asset for the SANFL team next week, Glenelg players need to make sure they wear body armour when he launches a ball into the back of their head, hands and shins from 2M away.
2nd half better but we dominated for 15 minutes and got 1 goal.

Bad:
This side cannot be trusted away from home, 5 goals to 1.... 10 minutes into the game.
Its either a midfield smashing or we just completely die after building a healthy lead
Parish and Merrett had 78 disposals between them, honestly ridiculous to have this type of player having that much footy.
O'Brien handing palming it straight to their mids on the run is diabolical.
Being outmarked in our forward line and their forward line, how is that possible? How does our defensive structure fail that easily?

Watching the replay it became apparent how many players just weren't prepared to go their man and lay the tackle or put contact on them.

Milera lazy as hell.
Rachele didn't seem to want contact.
Sholl is not capable of laying or escaping a tackle.

Concerning as hell.

Also Nicks has to stop booking himself onto Fox media. Everytime he goes on 360 or the Couch we lose that weekend leading up to his appearance

Pedlar needs to find more of the ball and impact the game more. It feels like he's had a really good game and then you look at the stats and he's had 11 possessions (8 today). If Nicks was a coach with dare and a future for the remainder of the year Pedlar and Rachelle would be spending more time in the middle than Keays and Sloane.

I’d rather 11 possessions of quality than 25+ of crap quality.

Back