Review Good/Bad vs Geelong at Kardinia, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

**** these comments frustrate me. Pyke in his presser said:
"Our guys were probably guilty of getting too many to the contest and we didn't hold balance as well as we would have liked. We felt like we were bees to a honeypot at times, versus being able to hold on the outside. When we didn't get it done on the inside, that ball spilt out and put pressure on our backs and cost us field position."
I understand your frustration. It's poor player discipline.
Pyke's comments suggest he's aware of the problem, from which I'd deduce that he's spoken to the players about it. So it comes down to player execution. Many a Coach's instructions have gone out the window in the heat of a game.
Last night, when the ball was not coming out I reckon players think "OK, well, I'll have to get in there and help get it out" (or similar) = more numbers in close, more congestion. When we did get the ball, we hacked kicks out, because our outside blokes were in on the battle. When they got the ball, they ran it through, out and around with no tag/pressure on Kelly whose first instinct is to run the ball. Ditto Diverfield and Flopwood. Our main ball-runner-carrier last night was Seedsman; when he got the ball, he took off, ran and bounced, broke lines and could kick over Geelong's defensive wall. His second goal last night was a gem.

I think the AFL will schedule a Crows vs Geelong final at KP. I doubt the AFL will play it in Melbourne.
No they wouldn't as not everyone wanting to attend the game would fit in. It would be held at the MCG.

You’re severely underestimating the VFL here. If they were to give a concession to them, it would be at the expense of a non Vic team.
No, the AFL want to maximise finals attendances so you are ignoring their clearly stated policy.

You are completely wrong on this one as the game would be played at the MCG.

If the issue is as big as rumours suggest it'll swallow him up
Much of the the rumours are false... but I'm in no doubt he needs time off from AFL until he has an untroubled mindset as he can't play decent consistent footy otherwise

thats a bad example he was the only crow doing anything then. Where were his mates? Agree he should go nevertheless.

Whether he had team mates around him or not helping out is beside the point I was making. It's more of a commentary on how deceiving stats can be.

Good on him for at least trying but that play was but one of many that show his complete inability to impact contests effectively but the stats will likely give him 2 pressure points for it (hence making him look "good"). If that's an example of Douglas "doing something" then that's just more evidence he needs dropping.

Common sense did prevail in the 2015 elim final vs Western Bulldogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Really?

Western Bulldogs are a suburban Melbourne based club. They have not had a home and away game at the Western Oval for 25 years. That final was never going to be played anywhere else but the MCG or the Dome.

Geelong play at Kardinia Park every second week. I honestly don’t think its much of a stretch to expect the AFL to screw us over and play the final in Geelong.

No they wouldn't as not everyone wanting to attend the game would fit in. It would be held at the MCG.

Lets wait and see. I hope you are correct.

This has nothing to do with the size of the stadium but everything to do with keeping Steve Hocking happy.

Really?

Western Bulldogs are a suburban Melbourne based club. They have not had a home and away game at the Western Oval for 25 years. That final was never going to be played anywhere else but the MCG or the Dome.

Geelong play at Kardinia Park every second week. I honestly don’t think its much of a stretch to expect the AFL to screw us over and play the final in Geelong.
I think he meant that it was originally going to be played at the Dome, but was charged to the G.

I think he meant that it was originally going to be played at the Dome, but was charged to the G.

Maybe, but I still think the AFL wouldn’t do us any favours compared to Geelong.

I just do not trust the AFL.

Never really looked like winning. We're quite a ways off.

Midfield desperately lacks a combo ball winning line breaking precision passing player like Tim Kelly. Everyone we've got is one or two at most, few hard working two way runners, and no pace. Same old story of quality vs quantity in clearances, until they started winning the quantity battle too and shut the door.

Forward line doesn't have a setup or strategy. At all.

Back line keeping us theoretically in the season, but can't get the job done against real contenders on its own.
And surprise, surprise the Wabbit's gone missing for weeks on end when the team's been doing well but as soon as the team has an ordinary one he's back in his element. Bravo.

I mentioned this earlier, can someone explain.

Jordan Clark will be a player, but he's had limited impact at times.

That was his best game for the year. 23 touches, and a goal. Should have been 2.

His next best games where hes gone 17+ and hit the scoreboard came against **** sides, North, Suns, Swans. Then it falls away.

We have a habit of letting a kid get under our guard, whilst at the same time cling on to Dougie for grim death, who has a negative impact, while Jones sits in the SANFL.

We dont rate youth.

Unfortunately none of the kids have set the world on fire when they have been elevated. None have demanded to be retained in the A's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfortunately none of the kids have set the world on fire when they have been elevated. None have demanded to be retained in the A's.
Probably this is the thing most by posters struggle with

Jones had an opportunity Himmelberg has been given opportunities pohlkoke has been given opportunities Murphy has also Davis had his chance Rob was given an opportunity gooch has been given a chance

ROB is the only one to prove himself at this point the rest still need to prove themselves

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jones had an opportunity Himmelberg has been given opportunities pohlkoke has been given opportunities Murphy has also Davis had his chance Rob was given an opportunity gooch has been given a chance

ROB is the only one to prove himself at this point the rest still need to prove themselves

Agree. ROB is 24 in August so can hardly be considered a kid. One of the reasons why I went along to the Eagles games was to watch Jones. Thought he was really underwhelming. Obviously way to early to make a call but I would be surprised if is physically able to make a consistent impact in the next 2 years.

Clark’s had 3 games where’s he’s had 7 touches. A couple of them were close together. They spelled him once. Last night he plays his best game, in round 15, a nice cameo in a tightish game.

You play the young talent and cop the good with the bad, reap the rewards later.

Or you give games to blokes with no upside like Douglas and Gibbs, and they dish up that crap.

Derp.

You’ve been calling for us to write off the season and play kids all year.

Really?

Where did you get the Western Oval from? The Western Bulldogs wanted that 2015 elim final vs Adelaide played at Etihad Stadium which is their home ground instead of the MCG. The AFL played the final at the MCG due to the potential of a fan lockout and rightly so as 61,000 attended that game, common sense prevailed.

Where did you get the Western Oval from? The Western Bulldogs wanted that 2015 elim final vs Adelaide played at Etihad Stadium which is their home ground instead of the MCG. The AFL played the final at the MCG due to the potential of a fan lockout and rightly so as 61,000 attended that game, common sense prevailed.

Misinterpreted your post.

My apologies.

One of the reasons why I went along to the Eagles games was to watch Jones. Thought he was really underwhelming. Obviously way to early to make a call but I would be surprised if is physically able to make a consistent impact in the next 2 years.
You will be proven conclusively wrong. bookmark this post.

Agree. ROB is 24 in August so can hardly be considered a kid. One of the reasons why I went along to the Eagles games was to watch Jones. Thought he was really underwhelming. Obviously way to early to make a call but I would be surprised if is physically able to make a consistent impact in the next 2 years.

Clark is on another level talent-wise from Jones. Suspect we've been spooked off from drafting WA lads given our poor retention record with them.

Clark is on another level talent-wise from Jones. Suspect we've been spooked off from drafting WA lads given our poor retention record with them.

Very different players just for starters.

Some really, really poor assessments going forward of Chayce Jones' talent only 6 AFL games into his career....ridiculously poor in fact.

I was at least happy this wasn’t one of our “usual” Kardinia Park losses, with constant bombs to the Geelong spare defender. We actually had some system working the ball forward, which was nice.

Allowing goals in the last minute of 3 of the 4 quarters really hurt us though. Take those away and it’s a very close game.

Very different players just for starters.

Some really, really poor assessments going forward of Chayce Jones' talent only 6 AFL games into his career....ridiculously poor in fact.

Not saying Jones won't be a good player.

Clark looks like a Whitfield clone though.

I was at least happy this wasn’t one of our “usual” Kardinia Park losses, with constant bombs to the Geelong spare defender. We actually had some system working the ball forward, which was nice.

Allowing goals in the last minute of 3 of the 4 quarters really hurt us though. Take those away and it’s a very close game.

What? It certainly was in the last quarter: annoyed me no end. We might have got a little closer had we kicked it to each other.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back