Review Good/Bad vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Amazing how almost everyone on this board is sheeting the last two weeks at Nicks feet - and rightly so.

Sure, there have been some horrible performances by Murphy and Smith. Peds, Dawson and Laird need a kick up the arse.

But I don’t even want to talk about personnel changes - the heat needs to be squarely on Nicks and the s**t game plan he’s rolling out

Its hard to ignore - especially when the national media is also ripping apart Nick's coaching.

Amazing how almost everyone on this board is sheeting the last two weeks at Nicks feet - and rightly so.

Sure, there have been some horrible performances by Murphy and Smith. Peds, Dawson and Laird need a kick up the arse.

But I don’t even want to talk about personnel changes - the heat needs to be squarely on Nicks and the s**t game plan he’s rolling out
And if we turn it around after he changes his coaching and we miss out on the 8 because of these 2 losses, the media and club better not forget it. He cost us any chance of winning the first 2 in 2023 as well.

Pathetic.

King on First Bounce (First Crack? Whatever it is), said it - our midfield is so vanilla and one paced, lacks any kind of creative threat.

Why did we pay so much for Rankine to sit him in the forward line?

Why dont we trust Rachelle to play in the middle?

What are we doing.

They can’t play in the midfield until they get 100 games under their belt. Surely you knew that?

Tex getting Hawkins signed guernsey after the game, after that sort of performance.. you just wouldn't do it.
As a leader it says me me me.
Yeah it's his last year but go do it during the week..
We have a bunch of kids that probably hated losing that game.
Tex starting the farewell tour?

If Max is a dour player then I say that's cause he's being coached to be one

They really had no proper plan B for Stewart.

We have kindergarten level coaches.

Whoopee... another 3 years of dumbarse opposition matchups.

How many goals would Stengle have kicked if we did that?

Pedlar on Stewart seemed bad option that said.
Hinge imo was the obvious matchup for Stewart... or Burgess if you want to use q forward.

Just had to use someone good overhead, but we went for a small in Pedlar.

Just beggars belief this was the collective thinking of our no-brains trust.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pedlar is actually very good overhead but the role was totally foreign to him obviously.

Burgess would have been worth a shot or even Josh Worrell but that then effects our backline makeuo of recent times re Worrell..
Pedlar is too small for Stewart.

Hinge
Burgess
Worrell
Max

All would have been far better options & not one of them was tried at any stage.

Just plain dumbarse coaching.

I don't think it would have made much difference who we played on him the way the ball was coming in...and that's on the players as much as the coach...
Disagree as he would not have had a record number of marks for the game if we played him close attention with a player who is good in the air.

I don't think it would have made much difference who we played on him the way the ball was coming in...and that's on the players as much as the coach...
I do think the delivery problem stems from the coach, and the general lack of recognising we need to put quality kicks next to one of Laird/Crouch

Our best I50 mid in Dawson individually being very much out of form doesn’t help, though

Pedlar is actually very good overhead but the role was totally foreign to him obviously.

Burgess would have been worth a shot or even Josh Worrell but that then effects our backline makeuo of recent times re Worrell..
Burgess was the obvious matchup IMO. Even Keays, as most in the media seemed to suggest. Just someone to negate Stewart even slightly

Burgess was the obvious matchup IMO. Even Keays, as most in the media seemed to suggest. Just someone to negate Stewart even slightly
Yep, you just don't leave the opposition's best player mostly alone for the game to do his own thing if you genuinely want to win.

It's beyond stupid.

Then who takes Stengle who has been known to cause all sorts of problems for defenders?
Who out of Stewart or Stengle is more important to the Cats chances...

The only sure way to negate Stewart is to keep the ball away from his general area and that's easier said than done because like Jeremy McGovern at his best they are supreme at their role.
I think there was footage shown on one of the footy shows of Stewart vs Port Adelaide, where guys like Narkle and McEntee were putting a bit of physical pressure on him to take him out of the contest. This was compared to the footage vs us, where Stewart was left to roam most of the time

Small sample size, but it at least shows that ample defensive pressure can work. We shouldn’t be allowing even a guy like Stewart to equal a intercept marking record on us, and that goes for the mids’ delivery and our forwards’ pressure

Remove this Banner Ad

Back