Review Good/Bad vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

They really had no proper plan B for Stewart.

We have kindergarten level coaches.

Whoopee... another 3 years of dumbarse opposition matchups.
Yep

No Plan B and Plan A stunk

A lethal cocktail

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think there was footage shown on one of the footy shows of Stewart vs Port Adelaide, where guys like Narkle and McEntee were putting a bit of physical pressure on him to take him out of the contest. This was compared to the footage vs us, where Stewart was left to roam most of the time

Small sample size, but it at least shows that ample defensive pressure can work. We shouldn’t be allowing even a guy like Stewart to equal a intercept marking record on us, and that goes for the mids’ delivery and our forwards’ pressure

Absolutely spot on.

And why is everyone saying we should have moved a defender?

Why not use Ben Keays? He shut down Adam Saad who was averaging 10 intercepts in round 4 last year and he kept him to 14 touches and kicked 3 goals on him. Keays would have been the best matchup as not only could he go with Stewart physically - he has the work-rate to work off of him and hurt him the other way.

Or maybe - at selection - we pick a different forward to have a non statistical role other than 173 Lachie F*cking Murphy.

The only sure way to negate Stewart is to keep the ball away from his general area and that's easier said than done because like Jeremy McGovern at his best they are supreme at their role.

And what happens when you aren't keeping the ball away from him? Just leave him alone and in plenty of space to rack up 11 marks and 15 intercepts to be the best player on the ground?!?!?

We put a sub 30 game 21 year old who has never played a defensive forward role on Stewart and when that failed miserably threw our hands in the air and said "this bloke is just too good, we simply can't stop him".

Absolutely spot on.

Why not use Ben Keays? He shut down Adam Saad who was averaging 10 intercepts in round 4 last year and he kept him to 14 touches and kicked 3 goals on him. Keays would have been the best matchup as not only could he go with Stewart physically - he has the work-rate to work off of him and hurt him the other way.

Or maybe - at selection - we pick a different forward to have a non statistical role other than 173 Lachie F*cking Murphy.

Josh Worrel is the obvious matchup

And then the explanation that Murphy's inclusion was based on more than just game day.

How many ******* times will we put people in the leadership group based upon this crap?

I don't care if they're in the leadership group for their leadership. I do care that they're in the 22 for their leadership and despite their footballing performance.

Pedlar is too small for Stewart.

Hinge
Burgess
Worrell
Max

All would have been far better options & not one of them was tried at any stage.

Just plain dumbarse coaching.

It simply needed to be a player that forces Stewart to spoil. He's never going to be out marked by a guy like Pedlar, so he's free to keep plucking them.

What does he mean a player like that again?

We've played Stewart before and we've had players take lots of uncontested marks in our F50 before.

I liked Godden but far out.

Godden is very unwilling to shake things up. Only need to see how he wasn’t very innovative at WWTFC with only one premiership and numerous grand finals with the talented side he had. As a member and supporter of that club we got very annoyed with his inflexibility.

Amazing how almost everyone on this board is sheeting the last two weeks at Nicks feet - and rightly so.

Sure, there have been some horrible performances by Murphy and Smith. Peds, Dawson and Laird need a kick up the arse.

But I don’t even want to talk about personnel changes - the heat needs to be squarely on Nicks and the s**t game plan he’s rolling out

Nicksy just gives them a hug and tells them everything will be ok.

Absolutely spot on.

Buckley/Brown (can’t remember which) literally assumed in the Nicks pre-game interview that Keays would go to Stewart when asking the question, and rightfully so. I reckon everyone listening in was caught off guard when Nicks said ‘nah we’ll use Pedlar’

I don't think it would have made much difference who we played on him the way the ball was coming in...and that's on the players as much as the coach...
Well potentially he wouldn't have equalled the record for intercept marks if we'd done something remotely sensible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back