Review Good/Bad vs Gold Coast, Rd 3 2021

Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Also, during the 3rd, Doedee's "slip" while gathering the ball running back may have actually been genius.

I will never be able to prove it, but the way he slips allows him to grab the ball, his opponent can't tackle him without giving away a head-high free and he gets away a vital handpass.

Amazing stuff if intentional.
No way he could have predicted the last moment bounce of the ball in a 4 o'clock direction (to where he was running) - that collect, body twist and handball off - quick thinking ... wow!

Still exceptional.

2021-v-gc-q3-1636-gif.1093772

Jirkago75

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
We've suffered clearance quality issues for years. We basically roll with a brute force method whereas our opponents tend to slice us up with precision movement. It's not a new thing. Hopefully the kids can move us behind this issue.
Yes I agree, they seem to walk it out with ease as we have quick kicks out of the centre. We need 1 fast skilful mod like Horne. He would vastly improve our midfield

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
He certainly didn't have his best game but you can't deny he plays an important role.

His value is no more than how often he gets the ball and uses it well. Adding a performance factor based around the mythical connector role is rubbish. He's a half forward that leads to the ball and disposes of it after getting it. There's noth8ng else to it. I've seen McAdam lead up as high as half back and get the ball as well. Tex too, but for some reason only Lynch is 'connecting' when he does it. It's l8ke Mackay being highly valuable for 'running patterns', it's fantasy land stuff.

Is he worth 900k a season and two first rounders? That's realistically the price we'd have to pay to get him in, within the next 2 years

In all honesty we probably don't need him until he hits free agency any way, we have other pressing needs on the list

I doubt we're too far away from that being the case. Look at the midfield we're building. Tough at contest, and is certainly developing an ability to grind teams into the ground. There is a lot to like about the idea of adding a 190cm+ winger with an absolutely elite kick and an excellent mark to our outside stocks and pairing him with Sholl who is also a fantastic kick. Thilthorpe might get 7-800 goals with that supply for a decade.

I wouldn't make that move this year... next year/year after though, I'm for it.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
Gotta pull the trigger with RT now IMO. When Tex is in this kind of rare form its the perfect opportunity for a kid to come in and have an easier time of it.

Had a dirty day down south yesterday but showed glimpses of why we drafted him
Could also be a case of struggling with a substandard team around him.

Slot him in with better ball movement and his quality improves?

These two games should be his debut.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
ROB - Bloated Contract Syndrome. I don't care how well he played once Witts went off injured, he was disgracefully bad. Another performance like that next week and a spell in the twos beckons.
I'm worried about RoB. I hoped he was going to have an even better year than 2020.
Compare his ineffective tap-work to Natanui's yesterday, who gave his mids Silver Service tapping the ball down their throats as they made excellent position away from their opponents (reminded me of Rehn and McLeod *sighs dreamily).
Had Witts not been injured (I hate seeing big men cop those bad knee injuries) I suspect we'd have lost that game.

CrowBloke

May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Not Smith level, but he is our next best imo.

Like Smith he has vision & is generally a good kick.
The new rules favour anyone who can dob a decent torpedo after a point. Seedsman?
If our blokes were clued into this they could play an extra 5-10 metres back for a kick-in since a well-kicked torp always goes a bit further.

Last edited:
The new rules favour anyone who can dob a decent torpedo after a point. Seedsman?
If our blokes were clued into this hey could play an extra 5-10 metres back for a kick-in since a well-kicked torp always goes a bit further.
Seedsman has lost some of his range. He was struggling to kick 50m on Friday.

I'm worried about RoB. I hoped he was going to have an even better year than 2020.
Compare his ineffective tap-work to Natanui's yesterday, who gave his mids Silver Service tapping the ball down their throats as they made excellent position away from their opponents (reminded me of Rehn and McLeod *sighs dreamily).
Had Witts not been injured (I hate seeing big men cop those bad knee injuries) I suspect we'd have lost that game.

I'm not. It's just a bit of bad form, he'll work through it. Getting a clear run against Gold Coast in the fourth hopefully is what sparks it.

CrowBloke

May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
I'm not. It's just a bit of bad form, he'll work through it. Getting a clear run against Gold Coast in the fourth hopefully is what sparks it.
I just watched Nicks' presser. He said he spoke to RoB at 3/4 time and encouraged him to take on the last quarter, which he did.
I hope you're right!

If our blokes were clued into this they could play an extra 5-10 metres back for a kick-in since a well-kicked torp always goes a bit further.

Another reason to get Worrell in the side. He has a thumping kick.

Jarman3

Premiership Player
Oct 22, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Which is why I’d wait until FA to entice him back. He’ll be at his absolute peak by then, injuries not withstanding, and would be a win for us.

Problem with that is he'll almost certainly be a restricted free agent. GC would likely match whatever contract we offer him, in which case we still end up paying the 2 firsts to get him over AND the inflated FA salary.

It may actually be cheaper to go after him prior to free agency.

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
I kept thinking during the game who is going to take the kick ins when he's gone?

His ability to kick the ball 65+ metres gives us a massive advantage.
Josh Worrell has a booming kick. Can kick it 60-65 no problems.

Torpedro

Senior List
Feb 19, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just watched this.

It's as described above but then Schoenberg hits up a short lead by foot.

Quick give to Sloane, long to Walker, Rowe crumbs and we goal.

All possible because of some initial football IQ.
Probably one of my favourite parts of his game for me. Pulls off the little fakes very often. They're not like the more obvious ones you see from most players either. Just conveys all his body language as if he's going one way then flicks it the other direction without breaking stride. Very smart and crafty player, especially in congestion

Torpedro

Senior List
Feb 19, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Framptons role sounds like a lot of my games when I played up forward, my role was to keep my defender away from our good forwards and try to not get in the way
A good player should be able to that AND contribute on their own. I don't like the idea of wasting our key forward position on a player serving as a distraction. A player who probably isn't a long-term option at that.

Torpedro

Senior List
Feb 19, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Interesting hearing Sloane and Nicks talk about backing in the system over individual effort.

Very Clarko/Dimma

I think we are on the right track.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
What is it they say about a champion team? The best coaches lift their teams above the sum of their parts. Hardwick has done this exceptionally. Some other coaches not so much... *cough* Leon Cameron *cough*

Back